Home
Browsing articles in health care
News: Guest Posts
ER X-Ray: Finding a Rubber Ducky Inside a Dog's Stomach
In the ER: Veterinarians are sleuths
Are you sure Dozer did not swallow any dog toys or clothing?” I asked.   “No, we keep the yard cleaned up so there is nothing for the dogs to get into,” Dozer’s owners replied. Thus began the search for the cause of vomiting in an 8-year-old Alaskan Malamute.   There are at least 63 causes of vomiting in dogs, which is probably why we see so many cases at our emergency hospital. If the cause is...
News: Guest Posts
More Salmonella Contamination Feared
FDA issues a “health alert” for Merrick Beef Filet Squares Dog Treats
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning to consumers not to use Merrick Beef Filet Squares for dogs distributed by Merrick Pet Care with a package date of “Best By 111911” because the product may be contaminated with Salmonella. This is not the same as a recall. The report says: “Although no illnesses associated with these products have been reported, the FDA is advising...
News: JoAnna Lou
What’s Next?
FDA takes months to notify vets about drug recall
Pet food recalls have been all too common in recent years, causing controversy with bad communication and lack of precedent. Unfortunately, this danger isn’t limited to the food industry. Last July, the FDA shut down Teva Animal Health’s operations, the largest American producer of generic veterinary medications, after inspections found several manufacturing violations between 2007 and 2009. On...
News: Guest Posts
In the ER: What Happens When a Dog Eats Coffee
Tales from a Colorado ER
We used to have sign in our lobby that said “Any unsupervised children will get a cup of espresso and a free puppy.” We took it down after one of the clients asked what kind of puppy. We now have self-serve coffee in the lobby, and it’s not uncommon to see a kid trying to short-circuit the coffee maker. Which brings us to the case of Tonsi, a seven-year-old, hyperactive Australian Shepherd who...
News: Guest Posts
Dog Tests Positive for H1N1 Flu
New York case is the first
A dog in New York has tested positive for the 2009 H1N1 influenza virus, IDEXX Laboratories confirmed December 21, which is the first time a dog has been diagnosed with this strain of influenza in the United States. According to IDEXX Laboratories, the 13-year-old mixed breed dog, who has recovered, was taken to an emergency veterinarian in Westchester County, New York, after not responding to...
News: Guest Posts
Buying Pet Insurance
Do you or don’t you?
Earlier this week, The Wall Street Journal ran a short piece on pet insurance. Mostly, it’s a primer on how to shop for policies. In a Bark story last summer, Nancy Kay, DVM, recommended considering pet health insurance as one of ten strategies for stretching your vet dollars (More Bark for Your Buck, May/Jun 2009). Everyone seems to think it’s the coming wave, even though only about one million...
News: Guest Posts
Can I Make My Dog Sick?
Confirmed cases of H1N1 being passed from humans to dogs and cats
A couple weeks ago, my otherwise healthy 12-year-old Catahoula, Desoto, had a bad case of diarrhea--the kind that required running to the back door with him in the middle of the night. It lasted for 10 messy days (we couldn't always make it outside). I tried not to worry too much since his appetite was as big as ever. But it got me thinking about how the most wonderful time of the year overlaps...
News: Guest Posts
In the ER: The Dog that Swallowed a Unicorn
Tales from a Colorado ER.
Frank loved to eat things. As a stout one-year-old Lab, eating is what he lived for. Sharing a home with a family that included six-year-old quadruplets supplied him with plenty of objects of his desire. His family reported finding lost clothing, toys and other random items in his stool. Frank avoided any serious issues with his indiscriminate eating habits until one night last month, when he...
News: Guest Posts
Another Recall
Pig ears and beef hooves recalled for salmonella.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a health alert, last week, warning consumers not to use pig ears or beef hooves pet treats manufactured by Pet Carousel because they may be contaminated with salmonella. It sounds like these treats could be for sale just about anywhere—they were distributed nationwide and to chain stores. Brands to look out for include Doggie Delight and Pet...
News: Karen B. London
Salmon Poisoning Affects Dogs
Life-threatening illness requires treatment.
Salmon poisoning is a rare but serious condition in dogs. If not treated, around 90 percent of the dogs with this malady will not survive it. The cause of the disease is a bacteria that lives within a fluke that is a parasite of fish. Dogs ingest the fluke parasite and the bacteria inside it when they eat raw fish. The life cycle of the parasite involves both fish and snail hosts. Salmon...

Pages