Activities & Sports
K9 Nose Work [VIDEO]
Honing dog's scenting abilities through fun and games.

Discover K9 Nose Work, the latest training activity that develops your dog’s natural scenting abilities through fun and games. The sport leverages every dog’s amazing sense of smell and their love of performing a task. Geared for dogs of all shapes, sizes and ages—K9 Nose Work has found enthusiastic participants seeking a lower impact canine activity that offers great rewards for both handlers and their dogs. By utilizing basic search dog skills, the sport builds confidence, burns off mental and physical energy, and reinforces the bond between dog and owner. All levels of performance reap these benefits and are welcome.

Watch a video of a Nose Work session in action and check out the following sites for more information on classes, tools for training and competition requirements.

This article first appeared in The Bark,
Issue 60: Jun/Jul/Aug 2010

Photographs by Daniela Lopez

Submitted by Maura | June 4 2010 |

I just enrolled my 4 year old chihuahua mix in a nose work class since he can't do agility anymore. We start soon and I can't wait! We're taking it at www.arf.net in Walnut Creek!

Submitted by Kat | June 8 2010 |

I just enrolled my 12 yr old Westie in a series that begins in July in New Hampshire, thanks to this article.

Submitted by Anonymous | June 15 2010 |

Where in NH anywhere near Portsmouth?!?

Submitted by Anonymous | July 25 2010 |

This dog studio is in Saco, ME and they offer Scent Games classes: http://www.finishforwarddogs.com.

Submitted by Cindi | June 16 2010 |

You and your dogs are gonna love scent work. I have 2 labs - one has been doing this since they started at the SPCALA in Long Beach, CA years ago. He is a retired guide dog and was a bit lost without a 'job' to do. I give all the credit to Ron Gaunt, Jill-Marie O'Brien & Amy Herot for helping me turn him back into a dog again. The dogs will have a blast! You will love watching how your dog works the room. Good Luck!!!

Submitted by Holly | June 27 2010 |

Do you think its possible for me to do this with my dog without going to training? is there something I can read that will show me how? Thanks

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | June 28 2010 |

Holly, For more information, I suggest contacting:

K9 Nose Work Workshops

National Association of Canine Scent Work

Submitted by gsdlvr | January 14 2011 |

Yes this is a very easy game to teach your dog/any dog.

Submitted by Carolyn | June 26 2010 |

This sounds like so much fun. No workshops where we live, but maybe we can figure something out. My dog tends to be a bit timid, she's about 10-11 yrs. old and she never has been much on playing. This could be perfect for us.

Submitted by azsi | October 29 2010 |

My dog, a Katrina rescue, is so smart, so sweet, but so bored! This sounds like a great idea, but I need a place near me to train him! I live in New York State, near Hudson, Rhinebeck, Hillsdale. Millerton is not far either. Does anyone know of a place around here????????

Submitted by Misa Martin | May 10 2011 |

I'm hoping to get this started at Pets Alive West, a shelter in Westchester County. If you haven't found anything up there, check in with us as we have a *lot* of older dogs at the shelter who can't do Agility or other strenuous activities, but can do nose work for sure.
Sue Sternberg's place, Rondout Valley Animals for Adoption, might also be a good place to check. They have all kinds of great things going on there. Good Luck!
Misa

Submitted by Anonymous | March 19 2012 |

Hi try Positive Paws or Sirus dog training in upstate NY

Submitted by Curious | April 23 2011 |

Where's the video?

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | April 24 2011 |

Snafu on the site. Video is up now. Thanks for your note.

Submitted by Anonymous | January 7 2012 |

This looks so cool! But why are three out of the four male dogs shown intact? Not a good message to send, is it?

Submitted by Anonymous | November 10 2012 |

I agree! We have an epidemic in the US of dog and cat overpopulation and don't need one more dog or cat! Please spay and neuter!

Submitted by Anonymous | November 14 2012 |

Please use your own space elsewhere to preach your message and just watch and learn something.

Submitted by trish | April 17 2013 |

not every dog should be neutered, most for sure but if we neuter them all there will be NO dogs within 20 years. scary thought to me. just maybe these are great blood for their breed. but anyone who says neuter EVERY dog and cat is an extremist. that's kinda scary too.

Submitted by Anonymous | January 28 2013 |

maybe because the one dog came from a shelter and that's why it was fixed. the other dogs probably came from a breeder and had a breeding contract. or they came from byb's and ppl are wanting to breed them for dumb reasons.

Submitted by patty | March 26 2014 |

If all you noticed was whether or not the dogs were neutered you missed the point of the video. And just so you know this sport allows females in heat to compete, you would probably have a problem with that too.
There are responsible people who don't spay and neuter for whatever reason, but this video was about NOSEWORK, not fixing your dog. I have been to trials with a bitch in heat and the funny thing is, the males are not going nuts and barking, they are there for a job and they focus on that. I love nosework and so do my dogs, thanks Ron, Amy and Jill Marie, you guys came up with a real winner, winner chicken dinner

Submitted by Anonymous | February 8 2012 |

really, why would dogs jus t walk around like tha.......

Submitted by Sherwin Chen | March 27 2012 |

Dogs already have a very impressive sense of smell, with this added training, I bet they will become as good as police dogs. Now it will become even harder to hide the treats from them.

Submitted by Jeff McMahon | July 20 2012 |

I love this article and the video! My dog, Muriel and I have been enjoying K9 Nose Work for almost four years. We compete at the highest title level, and I have the pleasure of teaching the activity to others - it's changed both our lives, and the community of K9 Nose Work dogs and people have become our extended family.

There is now an official K9 Nose Work blog where you can learn more about the activity and sport, get to know dogs who do K9 Nose Work, and more. Check it out and spread the word about K9 Nose Work. Your dog will love it, and you'll love to see him happier than he's ever been!

Check out the blog at k9noseworkblog.blogspot.com

Happy Sniffing!

Jeff McMahon

Submitted by patty | March 26 2014 |

Jeff I love your comments and articles they are always on point. Hope you make the nationals again this year, I will be there to compete with my german shepherd Tonka. And you are so correct about the extended family, I have met so many great people who are now friends thanks to Ron,Amy and Jill Marie

Submitted by Abby | June 16 2014 |

A new book Canine Nosework Vol. 1 about starting canine nosework for those who may not have access to a teacher or wish to supplement class