Open Thread
Join the Conversation for a Chance to Win 3 Great Books
Special feedback request: How can we make our website better?

Welcome back to Off Leash, Bark’s Wednesday open thread, your chance to catch up with other Bark readers and our editors and contributors during a real-time chat. We’ve had some wonderful expert guests during the past few weeks talking about veterinary care, service dogs, rescue and behavior but today Bark readers are center stage. You set the agenda—tell us what’s on your mind.

Well, mostly. We do have our own little agenda; we’re brainstorming ways to improve TheBark.com, and we want your feedback. So while you’re here, tell us: What can we do to make our website better? Members of the Bark team will be stopping in all day with this and related questions.

Plus, we have an extra special incentive today, one open thread participant will be selected at random to receive three excellent dog books handpicked by Bark editor Claudia Kawczynska. The worthy summer-read trifecta includes:

So let your voice be heard, and be sure to include your email when you register to comment, so we can contact you if you win.

Please note: We let you speak your piece on the open thread without editing but obscene, abusive, offensive or commercial comments will be taken down. We close the thread at 4 p.m. PST.

The Bark on Google+
Submitted by Jenny Marie | May 25 2011 |

Wow all three of those books look great.

Submitted by Jennifer B | May 25 2011 |

I own Inside of a Dog and it is a great book. What I really like about it is observing my dogs after I read something to see if it's really true - which it is.

Submitted by M.Johnson | May 25 2011 |

I love TheBark.com and the magazine. Thanks for such creative stories. I have the digital app but don't understand the mission behind it. Would love for the editors to offer insight on what's different or better about that feature.

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 25 2011 |

Thanks for your nice words about the Bark. We're glad to have you on board. The mission behind our digital magazine and app is ease for readers and versatility. We created the digital version of the magazine as an eco friendly, convenient way to read The Bark. Not everyone wants a magazine anymore. Plus with a digital version we can add links and audio and video to the print content. The app is just a way to deliver the magazine to your pocket.

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Apps can be kind of confusing — as the term "app" can refer to a game, a guide, a tool ... or in the case of Bark's app — it's our digital edition of the print magazine. As for its reason for being—it allows us to add links to the text, so the reader can click on a reference or title and link to a corresponding website. It also allows us to embed video into the pages. For people who like to view and read on their mobile devices, you can do that with our app. It also is more timely for some, particularly, our subscribers who are non-US residents.

Submitted by Jenny Marie | May 25 2011 |

What is the digital app. I am new to this page and debating on adding another dog magazine to the mailbox. Although from browsing the site this one looks to be a very good one

Welcome aboard Jenny Marie,
If you don't want another magazine in your mailbox, you might want to subscribe to our digital issue. This gives you everything from the print issue plus extras--without clogging your mailbox.
But I don't want to make this a sales pitch. Tell me what are those things you want from your dog magazine/website?

Submitted by marlene | May 25 2011 |

First, I would like to thank those of you who answered my request for help regarding my pug's eye pop and remedial eye removal surgery. We did it, the surgery went very well and Fifi the pug, although one-eyed is now again a very happy and active girl!
My comment today regarding the bark is as follow: I wait eagerly each week for the open thread on wednesdays and I must say I'm a little peeved at how long it takes to get a reply from the guest of the day... if there is such a reply at all. I appreciate the input from my fellow dog lovers but would also appreciate some occasional feedback from The Bark!

Hi Marelene,
Great news about Fifi. Thanks for participating in our open threads.
I hear you on response times. Our guest experts are usually participating in the open thread along with the other responsibilities of their day, so it's not the only thing on their plate. Sometimes, they are online for a set period of time, during which they answer questions pretty quickly. Other times, they drop in and and out over course of the day. We try to make that clear in the introduction. While we try to be flexible so we can bring their expertise direct to you, I do wonder, which approach you would prefer?

Submitted by marlene | May 25 2011 |

Thank you Lisa for your quick reply!
I understand we are lucky to have the chance to speak directly with renown dog experts and I do appreciate it a lot.
What if we had an approximate check-in time at which morning questions would be answered (for example at noon the latest) and then another one toward the end of the day for afternoon questions (for example at 4pm the latest)?

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 25 2011 |

Great Marlene. We'll work on spelling out response times as best we can. I understand why it matters.

Submitted by Frances | May 25 2011 |

I love this website - it is regularly updated, easy to navigate, and has a good balance of short, light hearted items and more detailed articles. A couple of suggestions would be to perhaps make it rather more international in scope - the internet opens Bark up to a worldwide audience. And perhaps a regular dog related Q&A, which could then build up into a reference library. From experience on various dog and general forums, the same questions come up again - and so, unfortunately, do the same "he is being dominant you have to be the pack leader" answers!

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 25 2011 |

Thanks Frances. We are with you on more international coverage. It's definitely something we'd like to expand, and appreciate the push. More Q&A is another good idea.

If you have a sec, can you tell me do you read stories from back issues on the site or blog posts? And if you read old stories, how do you pick out what you're going to read?

Submitted by Frances | May 25 2011 |

I did a trawl through past articles etc when I first found the site, and occasionally run across the buttons at the top to see if there is anything I've missed, but I mainly rely on the what's new lists. How do I pick? Anything that looks interesting - stories, nutrition, crafts, behaviour ... I always check new blog posts.

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 25 2011 |

Thanks Frances. This glimpse of your visits to TheBark.com is helpful to us.

Submitted by Maegan | May 25 2011 |

I love this website. I particularly love browsing through the articles for new insight on dog news and other experiences but recently I just found the dog recipes. Amazing! The crunchy dog food recipe is a favorite for my two oddball dogs, a mini dachshund and a pitbull. You can't separate these two....
Thanks for the great spirit in the dog community!

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 25 2011 |

Hi Maegan, Glad you are finding useful info on the site. Do you do a lot of cooking for your dogs? What would be more helpful recipes for full meals or treats? What other sorts of stories bring you back to Bark?

Submitted by Maegan | May 25 2011 |

I definitely try to incorporate as much cooking as I can into our dogs diet. Our pitbull has food allergies and we went through many dog foods before we eased her issues with a healthier diet of cooking and blue buffalo dog food.
The main reason I Bark I'd my homepage at home is because I just love seeing the dogs smiling on tue front page and reading about them. I grew up with dogs and couldn't imagine life without them. They get me through everything and have been my main focus with my degree.

Submitted by Jess | May 25 2011 |

First, let me start by saying that I love The Bark. I eagerly await its arrival in my mailbox every other month. My suggestion for the website is to add more content. Since The Bark isn't an every-month mag, anything that didn't fit in the printed copy, or that would be better suited for the web, would be greatly appreciated! I'd also really like to see some how-to syle articles and videos, since some things are easier learned by watching rather than reading. Like the article on canine massage would have been made even better if it had included some video content on TheBark.com. More dog recipes would be awesome too! I've started making the crock pot food to top my greyhound's dinner bowls (and suppliment the expensive grain-free food to help offset costs) and also make the mini pup cakes every year for holiday treat bags. With the holistic movement, a lot of dog owners are looking for healthy suggestions to enrich their dog's lives. That's why I love The Bark!

Jess,
Thank you. It's readers like you that make The Bark a great place to be. I like your suggestions and will definitely add them to the mix, especially on the how-to and recipes front. On videos, are you thinking training? Or also craft projects and cooking?
Also, when you visit the site do you usually search for something specific or check in on what's new?
Thanks again for the great input.

Submitted by Jess | May 25 2011 |

In regards to videos, I'd like almost anything in short-video format. Nothing terribly long, no more than 10 minutes. You bring up a very good point in terms of using videos for the crafting projects as well. Showing a portion of the craft-making process, like the most difficult part, would probably draw more readers into actually DOING the craft project, not just thinking that its a cool idea.

When dropping in at thebark.com, I'm sort of mixed between searching for something specific and checking out what's new. My job offers me a bit of "downtime" while waiting for things, and that's when I'm checking in to see what's new. Mostly when I have a few minutes to spare, and I figure I might as well learn something in those few minutes. When looking for recipes, I came to the site to search for some. What I would find useful is a re-design of the site to allow for narrowing of content by topic. Take recipes for example. I hit thebark.com, click on Wellness, and I'd like to click on a header called "Recipes" for a list of online and mag-offered recipes. But instead I get a single article, and I may find other recipes in the "related topics" portion at the bottom of the article. Having things divided up by topics, liek recipes, training, crafts, family, etc might make the site more user-friendly, and certainly a source of very useful knowledge! Keep up the "GREYT" work Bark! My three greyhounds LOVE what I get out of your mag!

Submitted by Jenny Marie | May 25 2011 |

I am new to this site, but I have to tell you I am really like the idea of this open forum Wednesday. What a great idea don't know of many others out there doing this.

Since I am new I don't have any suggestions for anything to add to the site, but from what I have seen so far. I say keep up the awesome work. I will definitely be coming back as often as I can

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 25 2011 |

10-4 Jenny. Look forward to seeing you back in the open thread. Glad it's helpful.

Submitted by Jo Ann | May 25 2011 |

I learned about your magazine from a twitter posting. Bark wrote an article about the Phydough truck, the gourmet treats for dogs. I immediately went to my local bookstore and purchased a copy. I really enjoy the format and the articles. What I would like to see is more about bonding with my dog and how to handle a high energy breed since I own a minpin. Plus I would like to learn more about preventative care along with info about the different insurance plans that are out there. I really enjoy the open forum as that is how I learned about Noseworks. I am checking out a local trainer in my area. Keep up the good work.

Hi Jo Ann,
Glad to hear we reached you through Twitter, and that you've found articles you can use. Thanks for the specific story ideas, we like knowing what you want to read about--and it sounds like you're very much in line with our editorial direction (bonding, activities, preventative). I hope you'll keep reading.

Do you visit any other dog sites? Is there something we can learn from them?
Lisa

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Hello Jo Ann, nice to have you discover is via Twitter. We're planning on doing an article on insurance plans — there are many options now for consumers, and the plans vary greatly. Thanks for the suggestion. Look for something early next year.

Submitted by Carolyn | May 25 2011 |

I'm a big BARk fan. I check in pretty much every day. So for me, I'd love to see the "all new content" a little more readily, have it pop right up where I can't miss it.

My hardcopy normally arrives after the digital copy is posted (I live overseas). I prefer reading the hardcopy first (cover to cover of course!) and then going on-line to read the extended articles. What I don't like is reading the on-line articles BEFORE the hardcopy. So maybe more clear labeling of what is found in the current issue so I can hold off on "scooping" the hardcopy with on-line content.

More DIY and "green" projects or articles would be right up my alley. DIY grooming for long-haired dogs for the layperson (I don't send my dog to the groomer but she does need a trim from time to time; surely there are some "tricks" I'm missing). More recipes and food articles, especially from credentialed people (e.g., Strombeck, Pitcairn, Segal etc.). I always enjoy the latest studies on animal (dog) behavior, emotion and intelligence. Outdoor articles, SD, more about shelters, rescue and education, training ...

Hmm, I'm pretty much describing what BARk already does so well!

Hi Carolyn,
Thanks for your thoughtful input. We appreciate daily visitors like yourself. Interesting point about posting online copy BEFORE the magazine comes out—you're probably not alone in wanting to see them first in the magazine.

Good story ideas, too. We haven't done much on DIY grooming (if memory serves) so we'll put that on the list. And you're right that many of the other story ideas you mention are our beat, but it's good to hear that we're doing something right.

Submitted by Carolyn | May 25 2011 |

Hi Lisa ... and how could I forget to mention the short stories? I love the fiction. Great caliber of writers. Photography too.

Nope, I don't think I can recall a grooming article. All the basics would be good, bathing, nails, tear stains, teeth etc. Specifically for me, how to trim a long-haired dog. That's the kind of thing you look up on-line and are deluged by a lot of hype and advertising and very little "how to." I've used both scissors and clippers and while I have my "technique" down, such as it is, I'm sure there are some tips I'm missing.

Thanks!

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

Might I ask where you live? What country? We definitely want to hear, first hand, from people in other countries and would love to know what dog life is like where you are. Same with the rescue situations where you are.

Submitted by Carolyn | May 25 2011 |

You might remember my blog posts about life in Belize here: "A Change of Heart," "Seriously Ticked Off" and "Big Jungle Little Dog." As far as rescue, well, I live hours and hours away from the Belize Humane Society and Animal Shelter (BHSAS)in a remote corner of Belize but I do try to offer as much support as I can. BHSAS was directly responsible for my adopting Maggie, 9 years ago.

On a further personal note, I am working closely with BHSAS trying to work out how to get Timber, a senior husky/shep mix, to Albany NY. At 80 lbs., he needs an extra-large kennel which is not to be found in Belize at the moment (anyone have any ideas?)in order to fly commercially. I've also looked into getting a ride for him to Texas ... as well as having a Mennonite pilot fly him by private plane! No luck so far.

Timber was the dog of good friends of mine, local school teachers, who were tragically killed in a small plane crash a year ago. Their family in NE US would like to bring Timber "home." It is proving to be quite the challenge and BHSAS is helping all they can ... They are awesome, but then most dog people are. BHSAS can be googled or they are on FB as well.

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

Hi Carolyn, Yes I do remember you and the great work you are doing. Have you posted anything on our FB page about getting help in looking for transport assistance? Hopefully that might help.

Submitted by J. Anderson | May 25 2011 |

First of all, I love your magazine and it's the ONLY dog magazine I purchase.

I have two suggestions: one is that it is very difficult to find the digital version of past issues. Maybe have drop-down boxes for the hot links along the top of the page.

Also, I think it would be great if you have a feature story on a specific rescue group each month. I'm sure this could open a can of worms but there are some very unique ones out there or to write a story of a rescue that functions very well so that other rescues could get some ideas.

J.,
Thanks for being a dedicated reader.

Good point about the digital magazine; we'll take a look at how to make these issues easier to find.

In the past, we regularly features an "Organization that Matters" in each issue--often rescues, but not exclusively. We haven't done as many recently but it's definitely important to us, so we will continue to try to get them into the magazine. I agree with you that each organization has something to teach.

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

Great ideas, and the rescue one is one that we are definitely interested in developing. We have been asking for people to submit their favorite organizations to us so, to start off with, we can provide a comprehensive list for people. The more we can promote the people behind rescue and pet adoptions the better!

Submitted by Janice | May 25 2011 |

I've been a subscriber forever it seems and BARK is the magazine I give as gifts for Christmas. I love the smiling dogs every month!

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 25 2011 |

Yeah! Do you check in on our weekly smilers online? We also send out a smilers email each week so you don't miss a single grin.

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

So glad to hear you like the smilers, they are the best part of my job, I get to receive each and every smiler that is sent to us. I love them all.

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

HI everyone, glad to join you today. Thanks for all the kind words about Bark, but we are aiming to improve our website so would love to know your thoughts on that front. I'll be your "hostess" for the next hour.

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

Sorry, I should introduce myself more formally. I am the co-founder and editor in chief of the Bark. We just finished the June issue, so it is nice to have some time to get to know you all.

Submitted by Michelle | May 25 2011 |

First of all, I just want to say how much I love this magazine. I've been getting it since before I got my dog and it's helped me so much in shaping how I interact with her. You have a wonderful group of writers and I love that you give us everyday dog owners a chance to show off our dog in sections like "smilers."

My one thought on the website is in regard to the blog posts. I love them and I read a lot of them, but sometimes I'd like to look for a specific topic or read everything on a particular topic. A lot of blogs have "tags" so that you can label each thing under a certain category (e.g. recipes, dog training, separation anxiety, news, etc.). Is there any way to implement this on the blog posts?

Hi Michelle
I agree with you about being able to find categories in the blog posts, one of the reasons that we are going to revamp the website is for that very reason. But glad to hear that you reading through the site and getting something of value from it. We still have a lot of content that we haven't posted, but that is something too for the near future. Glad to hear that so many readers like the recipes—they are some of my favorites. I cook for our dogs, do you too?

Submitted by Michelle | May 25 2011 |

We cook for her occasionally! Sometimes it's just something simple...a piece of salmon cooked up and cut up into small pieces and added as a kibble topper. Sometime we make her her own beef strew (without all of the spices and onions and stuff!). She eats pretty well.

Submitted by Kate Merriman | May 25 2011 |

Hi all -
I really enjoy the website and my comments are not major complaints, but hopefully useful and also, of course, would love to win the books!

1 - If I click on the "Store" link and look around, but then want to get back to the main Bark site, I expect that clicking on the "Home" button or on the logo in the upper left would do that, but it just keeps me in the store. Just kind of a nuisance.

2 - We love our smiling dogs! I recently had my dog included in the weekly smiling dogs, which was great. But I went to the "Facebook" button to share it out and the small photo that attached to my Facebook posting wasn't of my dog and there was no way to actually send people directly to link to the photo of my dog. I'm guessing your viral ability on Facebook would soar if people could share their own dog's image via Weekly Smilers!

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Kate Merriman
www.katemerriman.com

Hi Kate
I didn't realize that about the weekly smiler problem—we'll definitely do something about that! Good note about the store too, we can solve that one easy! Can I ask you what kinds of articles most interest you?

Submitted by Kate Merriman | May 25 2011 |

Thanks Claudia. I'm kind of a dog nut, so I actually enjoy just about all of the articles. It's amazing how The Bark has grown. Although I loved all the literary aspects of the earlier magazine, I also get a lot from the health, behavior and training type articles too.

Because I make dog art, I always love articles about other artists and how they create paintings, sculptures, quilts, etc that portray our canine buddies. Love to discover new artists that I've never heard of and also get inspiration for my own artwork.

I also appreciate articles that educate people about adopting rather than buying dogs. If people are going to breed dogs, I also like to see articles about why they should breed for health, not aesthetics.

If only I had more time to read it all. :) Can you help me with getting more hours in the day, ha ha!

Kate

HI Kate
From one nut to another. I find it almost impossible not to be fascinated with all things dogs, one of the reasons we started Bark. I know when we started, 13 years ago, that people would ask us, however can you get enough material to write about—I find that there is TOO much to write about. I love all the news from the research front about the evolution of dogs—John Bradshaw does a good job with that in Dog Sense, but in another new book that I review in the June issue, The Animal Connection, even more important studies are explored.

Submitted by Kate Merriman | May 25 2011 |

Awesome - one other idea.

I'd LOVE to be able to order a poster of a favorite Bark cover in the store.

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Hi Kate, I'm glad to hear that you are interested in ordering Bark covers .... it's something we've considered making available. We have published tons of great art, illustration and photography, and I'd love to make a selection of those images available in our store as well.

Submitted by Daniela Lopez | May 25 2011 |

Hi Kate,

I've thought about the "Home" button in the store too. It is good to hear your input because that is something we can easily change!

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

Great news. I just wrote John Bradshaw's publisher about his appearance on Terry Gross' Fresh Air—we had been told that he was going to appear last week, but they tell us that he'll be on tomorrow. Do listen to him, he should be great. Hope Terry asked some good questions. I did a very long interview with him that is appearing in the June issue. His book, Dog Sense, is one of the books we are offering you as an incentive to give us your feedback. Do tell everyone about the NPR interview.

Submitted by Carolyn | May 25 2011 |

I'll definitely be tuning in. I thought Dr. Bradshaw held his own under sort of difficult circumstances on the "Colbert Report." Terry Gross and Fresh Air should allow a lot more depth -- his book sounds fascinating.

Submitted by Heidi | May 25 2011 |

I just got a dog over a year ago and I have been a subscriber for only about 6 months, but I really enjoy the articles. Some are geared toward new owners, some to trainers and animal professionals, and some to experienced owners. As long as you keep citing researchers and academics in your articles, I'll keep reading!

Hi Heidi
Welcome to the dog world, tell us more about your new dog? What made you get a dog?

Submitted by Heidi | May 25 2011 |

We adopted Tunie - a Boston - about 14 months ago. She just turned 4. I had never had a dog in my life (except a farm dog when I was 5 or 6), but I became allergic to cats and wanted a pet now that I am a home owner and well into my career. So we found our first dog at the largest Rocky Mountain shelter - the Denver Dumb Friends League. We love her, despite her severe separation anxiety and megaesophagus! We don't get the dog we want, we get the dog we need, right? :)

In just 14 short months, I've become a rabid animal protector and am keeping up on animal protction laws, puppy mill raids, etc. It's the ugly underbelly of human nature but I feel I have a responsibility to be aware and take action when I can, no matter how horrific the story or video that crosses my computer. It's the least I can do for those who cannot speak.

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Hello Heidi, congrats on your Boston! They are great dogs! How did you come up with the name Tunie? Last fall I published a book on vintage photobooth snapshots ... with dogs in them, and we used a picture of an adorable Boston on the cover. They are so photogenic ...

Submitted by Heidi | May 25 2011 |

They are great dogs and I DID see the cover of the photo booth book. Cute! Sso many older folks stop us and tell us they used to have a Boston as a child. They were the most popular dog in the 30s I think.

Her name is actually Petunia and it was given to her by the backyard breeder who used her as a breeding dog. We thought about changing it to Coco (as in Chanel) or Sophie, but it didn't stick!

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

I am so happy that Petunia found her forever home. Sounds like she was in a terrible situation. So nice of you to rescue her and give her the life she deserves!

Submitted by HeatherLeigh | May 25 2011 |

I just adopted a pomchi from a breeder that was forced to downsize due to negligence. She was a true puppy mill...so many dogs that they went with no interaction. Isabella had been raised in a rabbit hut outside and only saw the breeder to be fed! She was bred during her last heat and had not been to a vet....the lady didnt even know an estimate of when she was due. She ha been with us for over a week and has won our hearts! She was infested with fleas, malnourished, and dehydrated. Had not even had her rabies (which will now have to wait til pups are born). We have worked patiently with her. Each one spending one on one time and letting her come to us. She now prances around, wags her tail, and has put on weight. I had to explain to my kids that she had never been loved or petted, never had a dog bed, a treat, or even a toy! It makes me so mad and so sad to know we only saved one and her pups....but we were so lucky to bring Bella home!

Submitted by Lindsay | May 25 2011 |

I really enjoy the magazine and the website. I would like to see some videos posted online to go along with the content in the hard copy of the magazine -- particularly training videos, because that's where my interest is centered, but it would also be helpful to have videos on how to do some of the activities highlighted in the magazine.

Hi Lindsay
Videos would be a great addition and one that we are actively pursuing. Where are you with your training program with your dog? Beginning/advanced?

Submitted by Tamara Cook | May 25 2011 |

Is there any way I can ensure that the smiling dog pictures I send in are received? I've submitted a bunch, but don't get a response.

Thanks,
Tamara

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

Hi Tamara, we (me actually) receive thousands of smiling dog photos, I look at each and every one, but cannot reply to them all because it would simply take too much time. We have a rather big back log of photos for posting online and in the magazine. It is best to only send one photo though.

Hi everyone,
I am turning this over to Cameron Woo, Bark's cofounder and our art director. I have to home to play with the pups, and then bring them back to the office. We do "swing" shifts with the dogs, Lenny, our 18 year-old, and Lola come in the mornings, then Holly and Kit join them for a "4" dog afternoon visit. Do anyone of you bring your dogs to work? I'll be checking in again during the afternoon, but for now, here's.... Cameron!

Submitted by Tamara Cook | May 25 2011 |

My husband will occasionally bring in the dog to my workplace. It's a nice break and seems to be a calming effect. My dog is mostly Belgian Malanois (if not all- we're not sure if he's a pure breed or not)and is quite a tactile dog.

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Bringing your dog to the workplace is such a great benefit, what kind of job do you have? Do other people bring their dogs to your workplace?

Submitted by HeatherLeigh | May 25 2011 |

My yellow lab went to work with my ex husband almost everyday! He loved it and would wait by the door. Kids would take pics with him:)

Submitted by Tamara Cook | May 25 2011 |

I work in the sales department for a distributor. The visits are acceptable but bringing in the dog for longer than an hour is not. Here in Madison WI, they are extremely pet friendly. If I could bring my dog to work everyday, I would.

Submitted by Sara CV | May 25 2011 |

I actually work at United Kennel Club and I bring a dog to work often. My australian cattle dog Carly (who was one of the smiling dogs in the April issue!),goes in the most. Everyone in the company loves her-in fact she has many people trained to give her treats! She often jumps up in chairs across from people's desks and appears to have meetings with them : ) I love having a job that is all about dogs where I can bring my dogs to work!

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Hello Everybody, thanks for all of the thoughtful comments. Hearing from our readers and the many dog devotees ... is encouraging and a big help as we fine tune our magazine and website. As the art director at Bark, I'll be helping spruce up our site, refresh the look and feel, and make it more user-friendly. -Cameron

Submitted by CJ and Jasmine | May 25 2011 |

I think everyone loves sharing pics and video of their pets. So if you have the room to host it, it would be cool to see on your site. Also- photo contests that you can share on Facebook/ Twitter are always popular.

~ CJ and My Favorite Pup Jasmine =)

Blog: http://www.myfavoritepup.blogspot.com/
Tricks: http://www.youtube.com/user/MyFavoritePupJasmine

Submitted by Daniela Lopez | May 25 2011 |

Thanks for sharing CJ. We are planning for new ways for our readers to share pictures and other information about their dogs. Adding Video would be great too!

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

People love sharing photos of their dogs — sending in smiling dogs, me & dog submissions, posting photos on Bark's Facebook page. I was wondering if people are interested in posting video of their dogs. We're thinking about holding a DIY video film festival ... would people participate or enjoy seeing other people's video shorts?

Submitted by Carolyn | May 25 2011 |

What a great idea! I would enjoy watching others' videos and making my own. There could be all sort of "themes": humor, tricks, life in my neighborhood, play, etc. etc. Endless ideas.

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Good to hear your response, Carolyn. I think with the ease of cell phone video, and the easy access simple editing tools — everybody has the potential to be a filmmaker! We'd love to see how people capture their dogs in moving pictures.

Submitted by Connie | May 25 2011 |

I count on Bark for all things dog, especially dog health and behavior. I would like to learn more about veterinary care. I could be better informed about the range of choices for prevention and for treatment of common maladies. I would feel like a better dog mom!

Submitted by HeatherLeigh | May 25 2011 |

I agree! I stay online educating myself:)

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

Maintaining a dog's health is something that all of us are concerned about, and it can be quite a challenge keeping up with new developments, as well as being well-versed in the common maladies. I think we could do a better job of organizing this information, and presenting in our magazine and online. We got a good response from our issue that highlighted senior dog health issues, I think we could do the same sort of theme editorial on young dogs, active dogs and other life stage.

Submitted by Carolyn | May 25 2011 |

What about a special area for people to post profiles of their dogs and favorite activities, aka "Barksters." Forum areas where Barksters might meet up and discuss local dog parks, dog resources, even play dates?

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

That's a great idea! Is there a site or service that you use currently to share such activities? How do you hook up with other dog people for get-togethers and play dates — do you do that online currently?

Submitted by Carolyn | May 25 2011 |

Well, I don't, but it seems like an idea with possibilities. I am in Belize 11 mos. out of the year. For that one month when I am in Michigan, I would love to have a trusted source for where/when the dog events are, what dog parks are great, where the best shops are for dog supplies, etc. Having followed a few threads here on Bark on-line, it seems that Bark readers are very considerate about poo pick up, leashing, and manners. Those are the kind of people and dogs I'd like to meet for a play date.

Submitted by Daniela Lopez | May 25 2011 |

That makes sense and I agree that adding a central resource and meeting area would be very helpful.

Submitted by Cameron from Th... | May 25 2011 |

We have a new Barker joining us for the next hour or so — Daniela Lopez. Daniela handles all of our web production and manages our site ... and lives with 2 dogs. So send any questions about the our site or dogs her way ...

Submitted by Daniela Lopez | May 25 2011 |

Thanks Cameron!

Submitted by Daniela Lopez | May 25 2011 |

Is anyone starting any Training Classes soon or sometime this summer?

I'll be starting a training class tomorrow with my new pup! I'm pretty excited. Right now we'll be focusing on leash reactivity but I'm hoping soon we can move on to bigger and better things!

Submitted by Anonymous | May 25 2011 |

Yes!! We are doing agility in June!

Submitted by Marie Muscolino | May 25 2011 |

Fun! Will this be your first foray into the agility ring?

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | May 25 2011 |

And I'm going to start Kit on a class in early June. At first I thought you might not be ready in terms of her shyness, especially to new indoor places, but I'm hoping she'll be alright. She really has progressed so much more than Holly. It has been really challenging with our undersocialized pups.

Submitted by Kerry | May 25 2011 |

Love the magazine and the website. My only rec is a minor one about this thread. It would be nice if there were time stamps to better understand the flow.

Submitted by Daniela Lopez | May 25 2011 |

hmm.. that does make sense. We'll see what we can do!

More in Open Thread: