Food & Nutrition
Donald R. Strombeck Talks Dog Nutrition and Pet Food Recalls
Talks to Bark about vet education, nutrition and the Menu Foods recall
Pages:

When he wrote Home-Prepared Dog and Cat Diets: The Healthful Alternative, leading gastroenterologist Dr. Donald Strombeck created one of the first-of-its-kind nutrition and dietetics books. It went on to become one of the standards for both veterinarians and those looking for an alternative to commercial pet food.

Bark: When did you start your career in pet nutrition?

Donald Strombeck: I graduated from the University of Illinois in 1954 and, after leaving the service, went into a small animal practice outside of Chicago—they got me started on an interest in pet nutrition. Back then, we saw the usual variety of cats and dogs. In our standard operating procedure with diarrhea cases, we put the animals on a controlled diet, and we instructed people how to prepare it. Most of our treatments were based primarily on diet. This was at a time when most people, at least in that area, prepared meals for their pets. People didn’t feed commercially prepared diets—the industry hadn’t developed to where it is now. There were some commercial foods available then, and one made by Hills, I/D for dogs with intestinal problems, is still available. But the reason we didn’t use it was that a lot of our patients didn’t respond to it.

B: When did you start teaching at the University of California Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at Davis?

DS: After the practice in Chicago, I went back to the University of Illinois and got a PhD in physiology. My major professor started out with an interest in the GI tract, so I developed an interest in gastroenterology, and I’m glad I did. After three years of teaching physiology to medical students, I wanted to get back into veterinary medicine. So I went to Davis in 1973 and taught and did research there for over 20 years.

B: How have you seen the pet food industry change during that time? What kinds of impacts has it had on the teaching of nutrition at vet schools?

DS: It has become a gigantic, multibillion dollar industry. The industry learned to advertise and describe their products as being the “best,” at least according to them. But they have tried to control the education of veterinarians on pet nutrition. They send a lot of literature and books to veterinarians who teach. One of the dogmas they have promoted, and that many veterinarians have bought into, is that you should only feed commercial pet foods because they are a balanced and provide everything an animal needs. And that you shouldn’t feed any human food or add any table scraps to it. So, if you go to most veterinarians, that is what they are going to tell you.

B: This makes it very confusing to the public, who look to their veterinarian as a reliable source of information.

DS: Pet nutrition, up until the ’80s or maybe ’90s, was really sadly neglected as far as teaching at veterinary schools. The quality of the teaching was lacking, the courses were never popular, the students didn’t realize the importance of the courses, and consequently, when they graduated, they didn’t walk away with a lot of useful information on pet nutrition. I do think things have changed now, which is good thing. But most of the people who are trained in nutrition programs get their degrees and are hired by the pet food industry. Most of the money available for research on small-animal nutrition comes from the industry as well. It is a conflict of interest.

B: Does Davis teach pet nutrition now?

DS: They have developed nutrition support services [and a nutrition clinic]. The interesting thing is that they have computer programs (actually, the same programs I used to design the diets in my book) that enable practicing veterinarians to submit information—the kind of animal, the problem, weight and age—and get a specially formulated diet. In fact, Sean Delaney, who graduated from that program, has an online service that also does this for individuals.

B: Were you surprised by the latest recall?

Pages:

Submitted by Beata | December 7 2009 |

Thanks Claudia, this was an excellent interview! I had just acquired a copy of Dr. Strombeck's book a week ago so excellent timing. I would be very interested in further articles on home cooking. There is so many different opinions, raw vs cooked, meat based vs carb based, argh, what to pick! I did decide to go with cooked food but now I am bombared with all this info about supplements to balance it out. I am going to read Dr. Strombeck's book cover to cover. Looking forward to more of diet and nutrition in Bark.

Regards,

Beata Siwinski
Vancouver, BC

Submitted by Kimbra | August 25 2011 |

Beata

Did Dr. Strombeck's book help with the confusion? I just came across this article and I'm thinking about getting his book. I have a soon to be 2 year old lab who has had issues from the time we adopted her at 7 weeks of age. It seems she does better when I cook for her but every vet I have taken her to tells me that I need to buy Science for her because she has pancreatitis from the human food I feed her and I'm basically killing her. Just so happens that is what they sell at their office. I'm just not convinced on "dog food". I think that's what made her sick in the first place. They didn't even know about the gov recall on the stuff. Please email me with what you have learned.

Thank you!

Kimbra

Submitted by Beata | February 5 2014 |

Sorry...just saw the reply now...I found that cooking at home wasn't really suitable to my lifestyle&schedule. I rotate my dog now through raw diet and dehydrated food (The Honest Kitchen). She still gets some small kibble for lunch as my partner doesnt wanna touch raw with a stick lol but I'm hoping to wean this out someday. Hope your pup is doing well Kimbra!

Submitted by Kim - Riverside Ca | January 20 2010 |

Its funny I have been home cooking for my dogs for years, I am on my 2nd generation of dogs that receive the home cooking, my biggest challenge is portion size. When I read articles in great publications like Bark, I feel like i should be doing more in the supplementation area, i use missing link and dinovite and some garlic that is it...and my dogs thrive and do well, so I have to put that notion aside that i am not doing enough for my dogs...one thing i learned long ago is NOT to get caught up in the most recent fad, use what is working and give variety and moderation and make it with lots of love and you can't go wrong, but I feel the same way about my human diet, variety and moderation...are the keys...I do absolutely love the recipes printed in Bark and will add these to my dogs home cooked diet.

Submitted by Annie | September 18 2010 |

One of my rescue Scotties has been on his "failing liver" diet, mostly white rice and cottage cheese, for years. I make it exactly according to the directions. She wasn't doing so well on SD L/D and her vets had predicted her demise years ago. She is now approaching her 15th birthday and she is very happy and active. The vets are amazed and I am blessed to have this cheerful little creature with me for so long. thanks Dr. Strombeck!

Submitted by Leslie S | February 5 2014 |

HI,
I have a 5mo Maltese with something going on with her liver. I am cooking for her and I stumbled upon this article. I see you gave your dog the cottage cheese and rice recipe. I want to use that one, but I am wondering what multivitamin you use? I email Dr.S but he has not replied. I am hoping you will :)

Submitted by Claudia Kawczynska | February 6 2014 |

HI Leslie It is always best to consult with your own vet, we cannot offer advice about supplements.

Submitted by MEL | September 25 2010 |

Our Jack Russell Terrier had bad and mysterious skin allergies for years. She would be on steroids 4 or 5 times a year. Never could find the trigger. Then she refused her Nutro Max dog food a month before the news story about the poisoned dog food in 2007. So I decided to just make her food. I found Dr. Strombeck's book and went with that plan. A month later, I found that her dog food was really on the list of the poisoned food. She's now 14-1/2, thinks and acts like she's 4 -- and has had NO skin problems since I started cooking for her. She loves it, she's thriving, and it's really easy. And cheaper than the dog food. Thanks, Dr. Strombeck, from me and my Jack!!

Submitted by Anonymous | April 8 2013 |

Thank You so much for doing this story, and a huge thank you to Dr. Strombeck for defying the big companies and speaking out for the pets who truly do suffer the effects of the diet we give to them.

I've been involved in dog shows and trials for well over 35 years. Although I've always added fresh food to my dogs kibble, I have been very resistant to the idea of trying to home-cook for my dogs, just because I didn't want to unbalance the diet. I do know of more than one dog that has been seriously messed up when the owner overdid supplements, etc. Also, I felt like all of the years of research that went into nutrition- who was I to think I could do a better job? To be blunt,I was not comfortable with jumping on the raw-wild carnivore bandwagon just because some hippie said so.

The last few years has been a trial though. It never used to be too difficult to keep a dog in top condition, but lately it's proven to be nearly impossible. Every time I find a decent food, some large conglomerate buys it out and changes the formula -or as was described in this article- every fifth bag makes the dogs sick. Searching through the brands, one is just a copycat of the other and all contain things I don't want my dog eating, such as yucca, pea fiber, and fish from who knows where with who knows how much mercury. It's become a joke in the show and agility circles, with us asking each other "So, what are you feeding this week?"...The bladder infections, allergies, skin problems, pale gums and general lack of vigor and muscle tone all tell me that these foods are not any good and getting worse all of the time. I could hardly do worse on my own!

The final straw for me was the West Coast Rendering video where euthanized pets are rendered into by-product. Although the food companies deny that they use the stuff (and I'm sure accidents NEVER happen in places like that- yeah, right) in pet food, the city of Los Angeles does not deny that that's where the unwanted pets go...

So, Strombeck's book is a Godsend for those of us who are willing to put in the time and buy the groceries. For those of us who just want to feel confident that we are doing the right thing and for our poor pets who have been through enough bad food. Finally, a science-based answer to the quandry of what constitutes a balanced diet for my dogs! Many thanks to the good Doctor and to the Bark!