Guest Posts
Bear v. Dog Mom
Photo by Michael Penn/Juneau Empire

If dogs issued medals for bravery, this woman would get top honors: Brooke Collins, of Juneau, Alaska, took on a black bear—and won—to save the life of her beloved Dachshund.

Collins heard little Fudge barking hysterically in her yard and discovered the bear trying to make a snack out of her weiner dog. Her protective instincts took over and, without thinking, Collins ran up to the bear, punched it in the face, and scooped up Fudge.

The bear took off, and Fudge is recovering at home.

Collins admits that what she did was “stupid,” but she was caught up in fear for her dog’s life.

“I wasn’t in my right mind at the moment but I would never think of doing it again,” she told the Juneau Empire.

Read the full story here.

Would you do the same thing? Have you ever done something crazy to rescue your pup?

Kathleen St. John is a freelance writer for target The Denver Post and The Onion's A.V. Club, and a lifelong dog lover. She lives in Denver, Colo., with her husband, John, and her dog, Daisy, who's a mix of just about everything. avclub.com
Submitted by Veronicaor | September 1 2011 |

I once got between my Dachshund Max and a very ticked-off possum...I put myself between them, snatched up Max and ran for the back door. I'd do it again in a heartbeat...and hopefully with a broom or bat in hand.

Submitted by Anonymous | September 2 2011 |

AWESOME - YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!! AWESOME DOGMOM!!!! GLAD BOTH OF YOU ARE SAFE.

Submitted by Freeman | September 3 2011 |

I wouldn't have hesitated! I would have done the same for my dog.

Submitted by Hanna at Dog Pr... | September 4 2011 |

Wow! Collins was certainly brave and Fudge awfully lucky!

I am grateful, as I’m sure they are, that things turned out the way they did. But I would not recommend a repeat performance. Instead, I believe that small pets should never be left unattended in yards that are prone to wild life.

Submitted by Paddy's mom | September 5 2011 |

Brooke's amazing. Stupid on hindsight but it's total mom instinct and I can so identify. When Paddy (my 3.5 yrs lab retriever) was attacked by a rouge pitbull, i stuck my hands in the pit bull's mouth to keep him stable and from tearing Paddy's cheek apart while his owner tried to pull up his hind legs (did it help? we'll never know). Tried punching the pit bull on the nose and on its head with one hand but he wouldn't let go. Eventually, i had both hands in its mouth trying to prevent more damage to Paddy. Paddy was left with wounds on his face and in his mouth, I had numerous cuts and bite marks on mine. Don't know how the pit bull fared from the punches as his owner took him and ran when he finally let go and I whipped out my phone to call my vet. The only thing I would have done different now is to punch the owner this time round as well.

Submitted by JQ | September 29 2011 |

Yeah, what she did was stupid (to use her term) but yeah, I would have done the same thing.I am glad it worked out alright.