Guest Posts
Large, Fragile and Valuable
Should dogs get their own seats on airplanes?

Reader comments to TheBark.com are almost always onpoint, insightful, informative and polite--even about issues that makes us want to tear our hair out. We saw a pretty heated but information-loaded string of feedback to a post by JoAnna Lou last fall. She wrote about people who falsely claim their dog is a service animal in order to qualify for privileges not ordinary extended to companion dogs. There was a lot of passion in the reader replies--but also some solid education, perspective and attempts at consensus building. Take this comment from Carolyn:

I think it is great that service dogs are allowed with their person on flights. I think that others wishing to pay for a seat for their dog should be able to. People traveling with cellos or other large, fragile and valuable instruments can buy a seat for it. “Large, fragile and valuable” can pertain to dogs too (and I mean valuable in the sense of having worth beyond monetary). I sympathize with people who need to travel and would like to bring their dog but understandably balk at relegating [the dog] to freight.

What do you think? Will big dogs ever get a seat on regular flights? Should they?

iStockphoto.

Submitted by Anonymous | April 3 2010 |

People claim they love their pets that's why they bring them along ? Well if you had to see their eyes as they are put into the pit of the plane you would never subject them to that again. It breaks my heart every time.And the people that try to stuff that same pet into a kennel that's way to small , shame on you ! I would like to take that same passenger and stuff them into a kennel that's much too small and sit in the dark for how ever long that flight is. When I see this the animal does not travel unless they go up a kennel size, does not make the owner happy but since the animal does not have a voice and I do so be it !!!

Submitted by Anonymous | April 3 2010 |

Submitted by Carolyn | April 3 2010 |

After reading Lisa's recent post, "Guests Behaving Badly, I'd have to rethink my comment about allowing people to buy airplane seats for their dogs. I consider it a huge privilege to take my dog traveling with me. I do all possible to ensure she doesn't inconvenience others. Except for the odd "accident" that can happen with dogs (or kids for that matter), I thought the majority of people who traveled with their dogs were that way as well. Clearly not.

If the airlines allowed seats to be purchased for dogs, they'd need some guarantee that the dog would be well behaved and not disruptive. With a service dog, that is pretty much a given. "Guests Behaving Badly" was an eye opener showing that some people traveling with their dogs are beyond inconsiderate. And those are the people that ruin it for the rest of us.

Submitted by Anonymous | April 5 2010 |

We should have the same rules for passengers !!!

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | April 12 2010 |

Yesterday, The Washington Post's "Navigator" waded into the traveling with pets fray--including the debate about dogs on planes:

Submitted by Leesia | May 25 2010 |

I would pay a steep price to be able to take my dogs into the cabin -
the main reason we don't travel more is because I could never put them
in cargo. I understand concerns about badly behaved dogs, etc, but if
there are restrictions put in place, they pay for the extra seat
(I would buy a whole row if that's what it took), and follow the
rules, it's as much an issue as a screaming baby. Airlines could
require canine good citizen certification or require that the pet stay
confined to a crate, just like in cargo but the difference is that I
can be responsible for their care and not be worried about strangers
losing or injuring the dog. Airlines could limit the number of flights
that allow pets and how many per flight. And charge whatever fees are
necessary to make it worth their while...