Food & Nutrition
How and Why to Cook Your Dog’s Food
An interview with Barbara Laino
Pages:

Home Cooked Dog Food

Like many people who’ve turned to natural pet food, Barbara Laino initially experimented with a homemade diet out of frustration. Her first dog, Aurora, developed a type of irritable bowel syndrome that didn’t respond to traditional medicine. After Laino switched her from kibble, the Alaskan Malamute’s symptoms completely disappeared, and Laino was a convert. Now, 15 years later, she is a certified holistic health counselor and teaches classes on making nutritious food (for people and pets alike) at her organic farm in Warwick, N.Y. Laino shared her experiences with us between sessions of her popular workshop, “Making Homemade Dog and Cat Food.”

JoAnna Lou: Were you criticized when you started making your own dog food?

Barbara Laino: There’s a lot of pressure from veterinarians. They pretend that feeding a dog is a complex thing to do. When I first started making my own food, I felt cornered. I felt like I had to have all these numbers — milligrams of calcium, percentage of protein … Since then, I’ve realized that it’s really common sense. Feeding a dog is no more difficult than feeding a child.

JL: How do you ensure that you’re feeding a balanced diet?

BL: I’ve sent recipes to be tested for how well they meet AAFCO [Association of American Feed Control Officials] standards, but I don’t give it that much credence. Pet-food guidelines are the minimum of what a dog needs in order to stay alive. But I want my dog to thrive and be happy and healthy for a long time!

Think about the Great Dane and the Chihuahua. There’s such variation in dogs. These feeding guidelines don’t take size difference into consideration, not to mention place of origin. With northern breeds, for instance, I focus a lot on zinc because they’re coming from a thousand years of eating fish and seaweed. It all comes down to the individual.

JL: Across individuals, what do you consider to be the foundation of a good diet?

BL: Variety. I believe much of the recent food allergy problem has developed from feeding the same thing every day. Yet, this is probably one of the most controversial parts of the homemade diet. Somehow it has reached the point that people are scared they can’t balance their dog’s food properly.

JL: In addition to this fear, many people avoid homemade pet food because they are concerned about handling raw meat. Do you recommend cooked diets in these cases?

BL: Yes, I do. I think people get hooked on the raw concept, but it’s not all about raw. Whatever you feel comfortable with, whether it’s boiling chicken breasts or grinding raw chicken necks … any time you’re preparing food using fresh ingredients, it’s going to be a thousand times better than what you’re getting from kibble.

JL: The popularity of organic food has exploded in recent years, but it doesn’t fit everyone’s budget. How important is it to use organic ingredients? BL: Organic is a great thing, along with grass-fed meat, which is even better than organic. Most premium dog food is not certified organic and, considering how expensive [those foods] are, it’s actually cheaper to buy organic ingredients and make your own dog food. With chicken, it’s even more important to buy organic to avoid the genetically modified soy that makes up the bulk of non-organic chicken feed. However, if you can only afford to buy non-organic ingredients, it’s still much better to make your own food.

JL: Are there ways that people can incorporate aspects of a homemade diet without completely converting to it?

BL: Definitely. In my workshop, I have a list of foods that people can add to their dog’s meal. I tell them to stick it on the fridge as a reminder. You can take a scoop of good kibble and combine it with carrots, honey or a whole egg. Another one is canned salmon, which is super-easy and convenient. If you do nothing else, add a little canned salmon to your dog’s kibble every day. It’s one of the healthiest things you can do.

[Not all dogs tolerate all foods. Be sure to introduce new foods slowly and adjust based on what works for your dog. When in doubt, consult a holistic veterinarian.]

Pages:

Submitted by Wendy Becker-Me... | May 20 2012 |

I totally agree with making homemade dog food. I do this now and I make dog cookies and turned it into a business. I feel better about my choice each time I read another article about the benefits of homemade food for dogs. I feel Great when I look at my dogs and know that I am doing the best for them. Thank you for writing about this subject.

Submitted by Laurie Rodrick | August 5 2014 |

Wondering where I can buy your cookies and looking for information on homemade cooked food for my dogs.

Submitted by NaturalPetEssentials | May 20 2012 |

I LOVE THIS ARTICLE! I have been cooking and advocating homemade pet food for over 20 years! The dogs and other animals I have raised are healthy and disease free! I have also been able to reverse Irritable Bowel Disease in my Samoyed by using home cooked food!
Like the article pointed out. It really isn't difficult...its just like cooking for another family member!
I find this article to be super informative and jam packed with great info! Thanks
Warmly,
Wendy
www.natural-pet-essentials.com
info@natural-pet-essentials.com

Submitted by Sarah | January 14 2013 |

We have a purebred Maltese named Gracie (as a family pet, not a show dog). Around 6 or 7 years old, she became very feeble and overweight. She got to the point when she had a hard time moving around. The vet said her knees and back were very weak and developing arthritis. Then we noticed these awful skin lesions, which the vet said were allergies. We tried every commercial "organic" dog food we could find, nothing worked. On a whim, we cooked some food for her. We use brown rice, potatoes, peas, carrots, and boiled chicken. We also switched to carrots instead of store doggy treats. It completely changed her! She lost a lot of weight and even began to build some muscle. She's also much more active, it's like she's a puppy again even though she's about to turn 10. Best thing we ever did. :)
I want to get another Maltese puppy, but I'm gonna raise it on home cooked food from the start and save it from a lot of pain. :)

Submitted by Viray | May 26 2013 |

I have a 14 year old Chihuahua beagle, Beans. She has been overweight most of her life and the past year she has not had a desire to go out for a walk, that's how feeble she has been. I changed her diet to a combination of veggies and cooked meat with barley or brown rice (and 3 other dogs too) and after 2 weeks, she's jogging for 10 minutes again. She is still winded after a walk but she can jump curbs once again!! I plan to slowly increase the pace of the exercise and we'll see if she can regain her endurance again.

Submitted by Debbie Moore | June 30 2014 |

My chihuahua sounds like yours but a bit younger. Would like more information concerning the food you feed your dog and how it is prepared?

Submitted by Debbie Moore | June 30 2014 |

Would like your help with food preparations for my overweight chihuahua please?

Submitted by Sue Young | June 2 2014 |

Sarah, I have a MLRWAW, l year old. Please say how much of each thing you use to make the dog food recipe. I would like to try it. Thanks. I'm afraid to buy commercial dog food.

Submitted by Kim Dumbrill | August 2 2014 |

Hi there
I have five dogs timberwolf, husky, two mix jack russel and a mini daschund... all rescues :) I want to cook healthy home cooked food for them.. they have been living on roasted chicken and kibble and are getting fatter by the day.. the timberwolf has hd a runny tummy and I now realize it is from he commercial food

Submitted by AlexJ | April 13 2013 |

People don't know how important healthy food are. I have 12 years old Golden Terrier and I always prepare him homemade food. Do you know dogs can live 27 years! Please don't give them commercial food. There are lots of healthy homemade food recipes here http://www.makeusknow.com/categories/animals&pets/what-can-dogs-eat-vs-w... , please prepare them healthy food.

Submitted by Cousino | June 30 2013 |

How to Cook For Your Pet, c. 2009 recipes and veterinary advice. Exclusive foods and seasonings listings included with softcover copy and ebook, www.strategicbookpublishing.com/howtocookforyourpet.html
This cookbook is very helpful when cooking for dogs and cats.

Submitted by Bel | September 6 2013 |

Homemade cooked diet > Any commercial kibble

Submitted by Barb Cady | March 1 2014 |

I'm looking for a recipe for a dog with Papillary Squamous Cell Carcinoma. I have learned that this type of cancerous tumor feeds on sugars and carbohydrates and it can be starved. Any suggestions??

Submitted by Elaine Marie | July 13 2014 |

Definitely into the organic food too! Getting a dehydrater soon to make some yummy dried treats for my dogs! :) It's quite fun and good for the dogs too as they get to eat many different things. Plus there has been a lot of articles where dog food products being bad for the dogs. Thank goodness they are getting rid of them! Always look at the ingredients guys. If the ingredients don't make sense to you, it's not good!

Submitted by Mari | August 16 2014 |

Wonderful article! Love how informative it is - great interview!

I think it was in 2006 - I was working at a vet clinic when people brought a dog in who was in critical condition. The diagnosis - kidney failure. Later on they linked this to the mass food recalls that occurred around the same time.

This led me to consider other dietary options for my four legged kids, so long story short, I started cooking for my furballs.

Eight years later, I have learned much and tweaked my methods many times, but....

1) Ziggy the pit - had food allergies/"IBS" - after 5 months his symptoms cleared up.

2) Two hand fed pups that never ate commercial dog food: perfect bloodwork every year.

3) Ciubaka the chihuahua mix: he is 18 and still chugging along. And yes, his blood work results are normal. No diseases or issues aside from a slight case of arthritis.

You are what you eat :)