Karen B. London
FDA Investigates Nutro Dog Food
Illnesses may be linked to food. UPDATED.
More questions about what's in the bowl.

[Editor's Note: ConsumerAffairs.com has reported that the FDA is denying reports of an investigation into Nutro, contradicting individuals who say they have been contacted about Nutro by FDA investigators, as well as others in the FDA. We'll keep following this story. Meanwhile, readers have posted some interesting comments including an inside perspective from someone who claims to be a former employee.]

There has long been talk that Nutro Dog Food may be responsible for illnesses in many dogs, but the company has denied these claims and maintained that their food is safe. It may be some time before the truth is sorted out, but we do now know that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is investigating the company.

Food safety continues to be a huge issue for both people and our pets, and we must be cautious about everything we feed our dogs. It may be a long time before we know whether or not Nutro Dog Food is causing these problems, but the fact that an investigation is underway to determine the truth is a good thing.

iStockphoto.

Submitted by Carolyn with Ma... | April 22 2009 |

Even after the 2007 pet food disaster, it seems the foot dragging, denial and inaction continue. It's this type of situation that makes me very suspicious of commercial products for dogs: food, treats, dog toothpaste, chew toys etc. I've taken to making my dog's food and treats, giving her carrots to chew and brushing her teeth w/o dog toothpaste. There are probably some very good products out there ... but if I can't trust them to be safe, then I won't buy them.

Submitted by Meg | April 28 2009 |

I agree with Maggie. How do we know what is safe for our pets? I have also stopped the toothpaste and I am brushing their teeth with water only. The food though? My dogs have always eaten Nutro. I have been considering changing their food even before hearing about the investigation because my dogs seem to have grown tired of Nutro and they are not excited to eat it as they used to be. I do give them carrots and apples and healthy things like those as snacks, but I also always have the nutro treats on hand. I thought Nutro was supposed to be good for them. My question now is, what should I feed them? What pet food out there is the safest and healthiest for my 2 dogs and 1 cat. What about going organic or a food that states "no chicken meal or byproduct"? Please help!

Submitted by Anonymous | October 19 2011 |

Answer to ~~~Chicken meal is excellant, for those that do not understand chicken meal ~~~~it is a HIGHLY condensed protein, has juices removed and some fat to make that highly condensed protein.

When not sure what an ingredient is~~~~~~~~~check the AAFO, American Association of Feed Control~~~~for diffitions!!!!

Submitted by Anonymous | May 13 2009 |

I know, it is frightening isn't it? I use another holistic kibble now for both dogs and cats and have been happy with it. There are companies out there who do make outstanding foods that are accountable. Go to DogFoodAnalysis.com and review the foods that have a 5-6 rating.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 25 2010 |

I have been using Nutro natural choice, lamb and rice for all 6 of my dogs. Their all close to 15 years, and act like puppies. I love their coats, and the life all of my dogs have. They have been eating Nutro since they were 7 weeks, and no vet visits. Thank you Nutro for making a wonderful dog food. All three of my cats are on nutro to, and again very happy and healthy. My cats are all close to being 17 years old, and no health problems.

Submitted by Anonymous | October 19 2011 |

Glad you made the great statment about Nutro! I to, have worked for the company for years, have NO COMPLAINTS myself or from customers. I helped customers with issues that were easy to fix.

Saw improvement in all my cats and dogs, in seniors their health improved greatly and their activity went up! Quality of life is a wonderful thing!!!

Greatful to Nutro!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Anonymous | May 1 2013 |

Clearly you are endorsed by Nutro Inc.

Submitted by Kathy Konetzka-Close | April 23 2009 |

I, too, am being so careful about what I buy for my dog. I read labels, study ingredients, check websites and I still ended up with some of that chicken jerky that's manufactured in China. The print was so small, and as the distributor of the product advertised they were in the USA, I just plain missed it. Of course I threw the bag away as soon as I realized that it, but still. It just seems to me that the FDA has way too much on it's plate to possibly oversee everything that needs overseeing. I'm glad they're investigating the Nutro company but the bottom line is that with the human food supply as unsafe as it is, how can the pet food supply be any different? It's terrifying, really.

Submitted by Anonymous | May 13 2009 |

I used to work for Nutro as a pet nutrition specialist and the reason I did was because of the great results I had with the foods with my cocker spaniels and two cats. Then.... MARS bought Nutro out in 2007 and immediately I started hearing complaints within six months of the buy out and I was suspicious. I reported these complaints to my area sales manager and was told not to worry and reinforce the quality controls we had. Fast forward to Jan 2008. The complaints were coming in and all were similar, gastrointestinal issues, kidney problems, and the list goes on. I reported these issues and was blown off because none of the other demonstrators were hearing the complaints. I thought back to March 2007 during the pet food recall my cats were sickened with the Nutro Natural Choice packet wet food due to the contaminated wheat gluten. I was upset but once we stopped the packets the vomiting ceased. I checked my dogs too since they had eaten the packet wet foods too. Two had abnormal labs. I ceased feeding those too because the vet warned me of a family with five dogs who were all affected save one. So again that is strike two for Nutro. All of my complaints were blown off time and time again. Finally from Jan to May 2008 I kept hearing more complaints in the store and one of the store managers came to me and asked what was going on with Nutro. I told her I didn't know and I would pass the concerns to my boss. Apparently a dog had died the night before of organ failure after eating a new bag of lamb and rice small bites. Then one of my former customers told me about the Consumer Affairs.com website. I read the complaints and my jaw hit the floor. All were experiencing the same complaints I'd heard in the store. Then one of my cocker spaniels got sick, guzzling water and was vomiting, collapsed on the kitchen floor. I took him in to the vet. He had elevated BUN and CREAT I again confronted our area manager at a meeting and was told that it was all lies on the website. I told her I think not and immediately resigned. I will never ever feed Nutro again to any animal I have.
How can a company with such a good reputation that was outstanding for 81 years on its own and it stood on its own go downhill? I used and promoted Nutro for years before I was a demonstrator. But then I thought about it. MARS makes Pedigree and other corn heavy dog foods with substandard ingredients. It all started to make sense. I don't regret resigning but what I do regret is that MARS Petcare bought Nutro and look at what happened.
I hope the FDA is investigating Nutro and MARS Petcare and I hope that this all comes to a resolution one way or another for the sake of our pets and pets who have died eating Nutro Pet Foods. I hope that if it isn't Nutro's fault, they find out what is the culprit. This has gone on too long without resolution. Rumors can spread but I'm basing my decision on my pet's past illnesses while eating Nutro Pet Foods. I am very choosy now what goes in their mouths. We haven't had issues since I switched to a much healthier brand. No its not Science Diet, I wouldn't feed that to a stray dog that alone my pet. It is just as bad as Pedigree in my eyes. It is expensive garbage that is overhyped by vets.

Submitted by Camille | May 17 2009 |

Hi - and THANK YOU so much for your informative post. I have had my dog for almost 8 years and I have fed her Nutro for most of that time. During the past 2 years she has gained weight (yes, age, but we do NOT overfeed her) and I am also concerned about the amount of water that she is drinking. I suspected diabetes, but that's not it. I am now worried that Nutro is having an effect on her kidneys... Needless to say, after reading your post, I am buying new food tomorrow. I used to be a vet tech and we fed all of our charges in the hospital Science Diet. but I never thought much of it, or any of the other "mass produced" foods. Would you mind sharing what you've switched to? I would never be able to use Nutro esp after reading your post. Thanks again for sharing your insight.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 6 2010 |

we have been feeding our two german-shorthairs nutro for years with no complaints.however,just after the holidays this year,esp.our male began to have bouts of vomiting-sometimes undigested food-sometimes yellow bile-then he would be very lethargic for several hours.never made a connection to the food because we had been using it for so long.then my son was at our house and asked if we were still feeding dogs nutro and told us that someone he works with had similar problems with their dog and the vet told them to stop feeding the nutro because of concerns they had with it.then i started reading some of the horror stories online about others who have had sick pets and even lost them and the only common denominator seems to be the food.how terrible to think that we may have been poisoning our beloved pets and never knew.i notified my other son and guess what?he had just bought a new bag of nutro&he commented that it had a different appearence than it had the last time he purchased it-different color and smell.needless to say,no one in this family will be buying it ever again.shame on that company!!probably cutting corners just like everyone else.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 8 2010 |

Thank you for this information. Do you happen to know if any incidence happened in Delaware? I bought nutro lamb and rice in wilmington delaware around the time of the recall and was assured that it was only the wet food not the dry.. she had been on it for about an year or two..it seemed to help with her skin allergies and itch then she started to slow down and not be interested in the food anymore there was no other symptoms except she did seem to like to drink alittle more and urinate alittle more but was assured by a breeder friend that she was just aging..but since the skin allergies came back i switch her food several times looking for something that would work for her...three years later( recently oct 2010 we lose her from renal failure...that hit her very quickly..could she have slowly been having trouble back when she was on nutro or would the effect have happened quicker like with your cocker? please help..we are heart broken and do not know the root of the problem..

Submitted by Nicole | May 25 2009 |

After all the issues with the pet food recall some months ago, I switched Winnie's food to the new Rachael Ray Nutrish. I researched this food and found that is very nutritious and they test their product constantly for safety. I do supplement Winnie's dinner with frozen organic dog food from Canz Real Meat. She also loves the taste of the dry food alone and that says alot...my dog is super picky!

Submitted by JC | May 30 2009 |

Less than a week before the press release of the Nutro Max cat food recall I had just started my three year old completely healthy eski-poo on a new bag of Nutro Ultra which she has been eating for the last two years. We spent the next three days with her having 'bouts of diarrhea and she has absolutely refused to eat the food. I had bought two bags at the time and Petsmart allowed me to return one while assuring me that the dog food could not be responsible. Am I the only one who finds it odd that I spend three days worried that my dog's going to have to be taken to the vet for dehydration and checking her gum color and her skin elasticity every few hours after starting her on a new bag of food and then not two days later they've recalled the cat food? I had thought about it and this helped prompt me to join Petlane as a rep. My baby's on Dr. Pitcairn's home-made recipes until I get my shipment of Pure Woof Gold in on Monday. I sent Nutro a letter and never got a response. My advise, get your dog off that food if they start acting out of the norm at all. Wish us luck on our new food.

Submitted by A.Mitchell | June 17 2009 |

This particular issue can happen when you introduce ANY new food into a pet's diet. You should ALWAYS take 1 - 2 weeks to work a new pet food into your pet's regular diet, by slowly adding more and more of the new food to your pet's diet until it completely replaces the old food diet. Replacing a regular diet with a new one without stepping up in this manner can lead to diarhea and dehudration, constipation, blood in the stool, vomiting/nausea and other symptoms. This particular case can occur when switching to ANY dog food.

While I am no fan of Nutro since MARS bought out the company, I also want to make sure pet owners are aware of the proper procedure in CHANGING a pet's diet to avoid distress.

Submitted by Kathy Nicklas-V... | June 7 2009 |

Sadly, it has gotten to the point that the only dog food I'll trust is the food I make myself. The FDA likely feels that they are too busy trying to keep human food safe, and that pet food is not a priority. However, should the majority of pet owners in this country begin to feel as I do and make their own pet food, it would quickly turn into a disaster.

If we all made our own food, we could look forward to the following nightmare scenario: A hundred million dogs (a pure guess) would take an enormous amount of food out of the human food supply. The the cost of meats, grains and fresh vegetables would soar. Add in the lost profits that meat processors would have to make up when they no longer had a market for meats that aren't pretty - meats that are used in pet foods today. The end result would be that meat would become a luxury for all but the richest, hunger would be widespread, and the cost of food would take an ever increasing percentage of our budgets. In the end, dog ownership would likely go down, because people who cannot afford to feed themselves cannot afford to feed a dog.

If the FDA does not consider the safety of pet food to be a priority, perhaps they should consider what would happen if consumer confidence in pet food disappeared. In an ideal world, there would be no need for investigators, because all food manufacturers would treat every product as one they would need to use for themselves. But that isn't the case, and the FDA should consider the wisest way to utilize their limited resources. The country's food supply and safety depends on it.

Submitted by Slippy | June 11 2009 |

I agree with the other responders who no longer trust the dog/cat food industry. We switched to raw food for them during the massive 2007 recall and have never looked back.

I hate to think that the same thing (massive recall) could happen again. I had to stop by my vet's office at the peak of the recall, and it was the saddest thing I've ever seen. every available space was taken up w/ ill pets, the staff we running themselves ragged trying to save as many as they could; but in many cases they were unable to.

There needs to be major reform in the ways in which pet foods are manufactured and regulated if we are ever to trust the industry again.

Submitted by Anonymous | June 23 2009 |

Nutro would not reveal zinc levels in their food so Pet Food Products Safety Alliance (PFPSA) tested the food and found that zinc levels were 2100 ppm!

Dr. Hansen told Consumer Affairs, that's "sky high".

At PFPSA's site you will see that dog food was tested in 2008. High zinc levels were found, but findings were ignored by Nutro and FDA.

The problem with Nutro has been going on for YEARS! There are over 900 complaints on Consumer Afairs website.

Also, Nutro denies that they've received ANY complaints of illness/death wrt their food.

You can read Nutro's side of the story at: http://www.nutroproducts.com/press-recall/press-faq.html

Please note Q's 17,19,20,21 in which Nutro states that they've had no complaints/reports of illness.

Submitted by Anonymous | September 1 2009 |

Our dog suffered from frequent bouts of unexplained vomiting and diarrhea, both of which began with the feeding of Nutro and completely ceased, without recurrence, in the months since we discontinued feeding our dog this brand. While this could be concidental and not causal, the FDA needs to have mechanisms in place for adverse event reporting comparable to what is used to collect data for the human health products they regulate.

Submitted by Anonymous | February 22 2010 |

and the problems with Nutro continue! and their denial of any possible responsibility & lack of concern. the CEO of Mars should be seriously penalized for what is happening to Nutro under his watch. or precious pets are being harmed & many of us have huge vet bills- what poison are they allowing in their pet foods?

complaints at consumeraffairs.com are again on the rise about Nutro! FDA- where are you now? don't repeated problems at Nutro justify prompt action on your part?

Submitted by Anonymous | March 7 2010 |

We gradually switched to Nutro over 3 weeks and fed Nutro completely for one week. We were hoping it would help with itching/skin allergy. Instead, our lab has been extremely thirsty and vomits bile every night. The Nutro is the only new food in his diet. I discontinued it today and am hoping for the best. He is back on his old food. Itchy skin is the least of our worries!

Submitted by Anonymous | April 7 2010 |

Our Italian Greyhound, has not been wanting to eat recently. This is a high energy dog who usually consumes great quantities of food given his body size, (12lbs). I bought his last bag of dry Nutro dry Lamb and Rice Formula on 3-21-10; it is dated "Best by 12-05-10". In the past, he would eat two full meals of dry/wet mixed with water a day and beg for more. In the past few weeks, he's has had no appetite for it and has been vomiting in his crate in the night. I never suspected the food until I looked it up online this evening. Tonight he starts on a roast chicken diet until I can find a better option. The canned Nutro costs $2/12.5 oz can, which on the side of the can is to be considered one whole serving if a dog is fed exclusively canned food. That would be 2/$2 cans per day, or $4/day to possibly poison my dog. I can feed my dog three or more meals from a roasted chicken which might cost me $4 on sale. Way to go, Nutro! I love the transparency and honesty we're seeing.

Submitted by Lori | April 12 2010 |

I am so sorry for you and anyone else dealing with this injustice. We too are now looking into this with Nutro. We are Very concerned over a possible recall to the trusted food we only gave out beautiful sweet corgi. Are pet store helped us in picking Small bite lamb and rice when we got our dog 4 years back. After buying our last Large bag now 6 weeks ago, we noticed our dog vomiting Bile, not with any regularity, but since losing him to renal failure on Easter sunday, we began researching past articles on recalls and realized that his symptoms are similar. I have this bag its i.d. and our pets labs. I am wanting to find out if there is something going on before others lose their precious loved ones.
for all those precious babies who trust us in our care for them and out trust in spending great amounts of money on their food.

Submitted by Eileen | April 12 2010 |

Lori,
I am so sorry to hear about your corgi. Today my 4 yr old Cavachon was discharged from the animal hospital. He is going to need some time to recoop from his recent illness. Like yours he had been on Nutro lamb and rice. Last week he started vomitting bile non-stop and ended up severely dehydrated. He became very lethargic, unable to walk, wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink. This morning he ate some food at the vet. So we brought him home to see if we can increase his activity level which might make him more hungry. They did lots of tests and no signs of renal disease or pancreatitis. We are still waiting for the stool test results. I plan to research this problem myself and will file a report to the appropriate people once I figure out who they are. I am glad you wrote, but again so sorry for your loss. ~Eileen

Submitted by Anonymous | November 8 2010 |

How long Lori was your dog on Nutro lamb and rice? Our cocker was on lamb and rice for a few years then we switch to a different food..since she didn't seem to like it as much anymore and the skin allergies had returned. We lost our cocker 9 1/2 yr to renal failure recently but she had been off the nutro for about a year or so... and on Beaverdam food... just trying to understand what happened...thanks for your help.. and if nutro may have contributed to the problem?

Submitted by Laura | April 13 2010 |

We are on our third bag of Nutro for our white German Shepherd who has been a part of our family for a couple months now. We switched from Blue Buffalo which we were thrilled with the quality of but not the price. We were looking for something more affordable but yet natural and with no byproducts. I was very concerned at first about the Nutro but he certainly seems to be thriving on it and seems to like it a lot. We do notice a LOT of shedding of his fur, but since it's spring that is what we attribute this to... actually his coat looks much glossier and healthier, and he seems to be very happy and well. So far we are very pleased with this food, but all the bad reports do make us a little apprehensive. What are some other more affordable alternatives some of you might have changed to? Purina One was going to be our next choice but there are byproducts in there as the second ingredient. Any others I have looked at are nearly $10 to $15 more per 25-35 pound bag. :-(

Submitted by Maura | April 14 2010 |

Laura,
I feed Innova and/or Evo dog food. It is GREAT food and both my high energy/high activity dogs love it. It maybe be a bit more expensive but if you shop around you can find it cheaper at some stores (I buy from a local feed store). I would not switch to Purina... they have had their fair share of recalls too and being corn and animal by-products being some of the top ingredients it's not the healthiest alternative.
Research online here- http://dogfoodchat.com

Submitted by Scott W | April 14 2010 |

I have a mixed breed Lab, which we havve had since 8 weeks from a local humane society. We have fed her Nutro Lamb & rice almost exclusively, even with snacks it has been mostly Nutro. Her health and activity has always been good. Within the last 12 months she has occassionally thrown up because of some unknown reasons, suspecting that she has gotten hold of field mice. However, during the last three months, she has thrown up more frequently with two times to the point of not eating anything for a couple of days. We figured it was the food and got a different bag, with no problems for a week. The Vet was not able to find anything wrong either.
I contacted Customer Support vie web-te about a week ago and have heard nothing. And, I have tried calling multiple times with 'call back later' messages. I have saved the old bag of food, which is nearly 2/3 full. Have you heard of anything wrong with the food?

Submitted by Anonymous | April 17 2010 |

There is no recall! There is no probe into Nutro from the FDA!!
The FDA, which never does, posted a message on their website last year that they are not have have never been looking in Nutro Dog food!!!
CNN had picked up this story last year and then quickly retracted it the next day because it isn't true.

All this hype was brought about by a website that sounds official, however if you research them a little they are run by lawyers that are looking for a major lawsuit to file. They themselves have been sued for slander!

I have been feeding Nutro for years and have NEVER had problems. It is a good dog food and you are able to send in your bag if you think there is a problem with it. You are also able to take it back to the store for a full refund if you have your receipt.

I hope this helps...and I hope all the speculation into Nutro stops soon. This has been going on for too long and nothing has ever come out of it because there is nothing wrong!!!

Submitted by Anonymous | July 21 2010 |

I agree with you!!!! I had switched my dog over to Nutro a year ago and he couldn't be healthier! I follow the instructions on the bag for how much to feed him and feed him correctly. He has lost 10 pounds (which he needed) and has way more energy and doesn't have the soft bowel movements like he was having before with the other food and has less frequent bowel movements. The other foods were making him have bowel movements constantly so he was loosing all of his nutrients. He eats Nutro food and treats. I can tell he is happier and he looks great. The vet also said that he is one of the best looking 11 year old dogs she has seen. When I told her what food he was on she never blinked an eye. I am also sick of hearing about Nutro - I am sure if whoever has bad luck with it switches to another food and there is hype about the other food then they will hate that one too!

Submitted by Anonymous | October 4 2010 |

I hope you read further down the page. Nutro has had more complaints and recalls than any other company and they continue to deny it.

You may get good food from them for awhile, but what happens when their quality control slips yet again and your dog is poisoned because something got into the food?

I'm not willing to take a chance on them when there are a lot of other foods on the market.

Submitted by HWalker | April 21 2010 |

We bought a bag of NUTRO MAX PUPPY food last week. We fed our two dogs, a 55lb 10 month old catahoula/AST mix and a 60lb 7 month old catahoula/german shepherd mix, twice a day for 5 days. I noticed on day 3 that they seemed to be excessively thirsty, by day 4 they were also eating so fast it worried me (i still assume they were not getting good nutrition), and on day 5 our 10 month old started throwing up bile and urinating excessively (in the house, which she never does.) The only thing that had changed was their food. We immediately stopped feeding them NUTRO. They had a strict chicken and rice diet for two days and seem to be feeling better. It really scared me. I was shocked to read so many horror stories when i googled NUTRO. We will never use any of their products again. We have told everyone we can to not use NUTRO, as well. We are back to searching for a quality pet food that is within our budget.

Submitted by Nell Liquorman | April 24 2010 |

Pet owners should be careful where they purchase their pet food. Choosing a large chain store that has its own distribution center is the safety way to know that the pet food is directly from the manufacturer.

Go to : http://www.thedogplace.org/Articles/DogCare/Nutrition/09041-Counterfeit_...

The article for Jan. 2009 is there, but I wrote about pet food problems all last year and into this year. There are some bad problems with pet food and my publisher and I can't get any agency to take a look at it. Be sure to click on all the links and pictures. You will get the shock of your life. But, this year long year series of shocking findings seems unending and just this past week I found evidence of more problems. I contacted a large corporation because their product or brand has been compromised by counterfeiters. The exact ones that I wrote about when I did the article on Optima, but now they have a new name to go with the same old address and same two phone numbers.

The original site was shut down after I notified the Mars Co.

Be sure to take note of the barrels (including screen captures) of the Nutro that was for sale on the internet last year. And be sure to take a look at what could easily be recycled recalled 2007 pet food, and a copy of the response that we got from the FDA after we
contacted Tom Vilsack at the USDA.

It is beginning to look like criminals see a gold mine in pet food. They could be pouring it into a bag for any pet food company and selling it directly via the internet, or perhaps become a distributor for some small stores. Any reseller could be selling it, such as internet pet food sites or flea market venders.

Dont' wait for mainstream media to let you know, as we contacted them many times last years.

Nell Liquorman
Health Editor for THE DOG PRESS (newsletter for The Dog Place.org)

Submitted by Anonymous | January 18 2011 |

This is exactly what happened to my beagle. I switch food to the mini chunk and five days later I came home and he is literally sitting in his vomit and stool. Haven't heard from the vet yet. This food is crap.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 19 2011 |

Nutro is one of the safest pet foods out there these days - they manufacture solely their own pet food in the usa with us farmers and over 600 quality checks a day... your pup could have gotten into something or may have an underlying condition... sorry to hear..but please don't speculate unless you know for sure.

Submitted by Beerad1981 | October 2 2011 |

Have two min pins and have fed them Natures Variety dog food and have had nothing but good reactions with each of them. Parents have a scottish terrier that had allergic reactions to other wal mart brand foods that were causing his to have bald spots and severe allergies at certain times of the year, switched him over to natures variety and all that went away and has been fine soon. Not saying they are the best, but I've heard nothing but good things from everyone I've talked to about it, maybe give them a try, good luck!!!

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | May 18 2010 |

More news from Nutro: Lisa Wade McCormick reports for Consumer Affairs about concerns over Nutro's dry cat food.

Controversy Surrounds Tests of Nutro Dry Cat Food
Company denies its product contains 'worrisome' levels of Vitamin D3

Read more: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/05/nutro_cat_food.html#ixzz0o...

Submitted by Anonymous | June 5 2010 |

I have two cats and one dag. The older cat lost all his fur in his back end right to his tail. Two vets say it is allergy probably from his food. My other cat vomits everyday as soon as she eats. My dog has allergies also, I have changed their diets, the dog eats raw meats only , he has lost weight and his allergies are starting to clear up.
I thought the big bucks I was spending on their food all these years was good for them. I feel utterly betrayed by a company that I trusted my companions' lives to.

Submitted by kellfree | October 3 2010 |

I have been feeding my dog Nutro since he was weened off from his mom. He is a lab/chow mix. I began with Nutro Max and had no troubles... a hand full of years ago I started giving him Nutro Natural Choice.

I have tried several of the different flavors/mixes of each Max and Natural Choices, not that there was ever a problem, I just wanted to be sure he didn't "get bored" with the same flavor week in and week out. After all, humans have 3 different meals a day and rarely the same thing two or three times a week. So why shouldn't my pup have a little variety? He now gets Senior because he has started to move a little slower.

He has always been healthy, never any problems except for a couple minor urinary track infections after getting into the garbage both times. Who knows what he ate? The only other problem I've ever had was he inhaled a package of Oreo Cookies... and the vet gave us directions to induce vomiting and we never had any effects from that. He has always had a full shiny coat, always lean, never overweight, muscular, active, full of energy, happy and still acting like a puppy since he was born.

He is now 14 years and 6 months old... Looks like he has a few more ahead of him too. Thanks Nutro for giving me such a wonderful experience as a pet owner!!

Submitted by Anonymous | October 25 2010 |

NAT CH SMALL BITE LR SICKENED MY FOUR DOGS OVER THE LAST MONTH AND KILLED ONE OF THEM TODAY DUE TO LIVER FAILURE..... R.I.P CHARLIE.....

Submitted by Anonymous | October 29 2010 |

I have had all my pets on Nutro since I made the switch for my Cocker Spaniel that had food allergies. That was back in 1985. So I have a lot of years using their products and am happy to say we haven't have any problems feeding 2 cats and 4 dogs over the 25 years we've been using their products.

Submitted by Anonymous | December 18 2010 |

I fed my Chow/Samoyed mix this dog food her entire life and she lived a long and healthy 171/2 years!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 19 2011 |

Both my pets have been on Nutro for six years... my pets are happy and healthy... you can't always blame the food, there could always be underlying conditions, when people have renal failure or out of control bodily functions there could be many reasons ...same goes for dogs and cats. by the way... All Nutro foods are manufactured in their own US facilities in CA and Tn... it is not made in a facility with 2 or lets say 10 other pet food brands.... Nutro dog and cat kibble, cans, treats are all made with the highest quality us ingredients with lamb and venison from New Zealand..... of which Nutro has a long standing relationship with... Nutro quality checks all of their ingredient provider sites not to mention over 600 quality checks a day on all of their products. If your looking to feed you pets something that you trust and would eat yourself this would be eat. They are the only company that guarantees a better skin nd coat.... i have never witnessed any pet with a worse coat from feeding nutro... their products are super premium with NO meat by-products...all their products are geared towards natural solutions for sensitive tummys- skin, coat, bones, and joints. Remember all dogs are not the same... just because you can eat certain things doesn't mean I can to...IBD, Celiac disease, thyroid issues, diabetes, kidney issues... can all have underlying conditions that aren't necessarily brought about by food. Pets consume other things than pet food that can cause issues..or how about the use of vaccinations, or flea and tick remedies?? Not enough testing out there about the outcome of continuous use on and in pets... Unless you have your pet or pet food tested, there is really nothing or no one to blame... you can only assume and we all know what the end result of that is. Before there is speculation that Nutro Pet Food caused your pet to vomit or have kidney failure..or the numerous other ailments pets can acquire.. the big picture should be analyzed... there are so many household supplies pets can get into and ingest...like stated before.. you never know...so if it makes consumers feel better to switch their pet food so be it...just remember that Nutro is one of the best pet food companies that legitimately tells you where the food is made and by whom and has one of the best quality and safety standards the pet food industry has ever seen!

Submitted by Anonymous | June 1 2011 |

I pray your pets do not get sick like my 3-1/2 year old Cocker Spaniel last October. She died within a month of her first symptoms. The only thing that I changed was a new bag of Nutro dog food.

Submitted by Anonymous | June 19 2011 |

I too have used Nutro with success for over 9 years. I have six dogs, five siberian huskies & one shih tzu all on nutro ultra. I've been very happy with the product & have had no medical issues. I also use nutro for my cats, though I haven't had as much success there since the company stopped making the lamb based dry cat food.

Submitted by R | April 14 2012 |

you are obviously a company representative. I'm sure glad people are posting on here! And they have a right to. Go back to your company and tout your products elsewhere.

Submitted by Anonymous | June 1 2011 |

I lost my 3-1/2 year old Cocker Spaniel to liver damage. She died within a month of becoming ill. I was back and forth to 3 different vets after she first became ill. The only thing changed was that I had bought a new bag of Nature's Choice Light Nutro dog food before she became ill. Of course, I filed a complaint with Nutro but they denied the food was the issue. I pray no other family had to go through the expense and heartache that our family went through. RIP Lily.

Submitted by Anonymous | October 19 2011 |

You, as people, we get sick with liver, upset stomach,urinary tract, cancer, virus, etc., do you blame your food when sickness of yourself or anyone you know, on the food you eat?? does not mean the Nutro food is responsible. If food - dog, cat or human has a problem, The FDA sends out an immediate RECALL to ALL - places that carry the products, be it human, pet, veggies, anything in your grocery store,soap,lotions, candy anything that may be harmful.

NO STORE NO COMPANY wants anything on their shelves that would knowly cause any kind of harm to people or pets. Not good for any business that would have harmful product. AS SOON AS there is a recall of any sort~~~products are moved off shelves FAST ASAP.

No company/store wants to lose your business therefore, it is in your best and the company to have those things removed.

It is irresponsible for conusmers to make statements as seen on this site without checking the validity of the concern.

I've feed Nutro for years. This company has been around over 80 yrs. has been the #1 "super premiun" & continued to improve their food thru the years, they have not adverised Nutro but gotten known by word of mouth from one consumer to another for the great quality, and concern for your pets health). My cats & dogs have had upset issues, just like me. I try to figure out what is not agreeing with my stomach or their's, may take a few weeks, but I make changes. With age our "body system changes" just as our cats and dogs. For my cat & dogs - it's easy with Nutro, there is food for senitive stomach, senior, high engery, weight managment,grain free, you could change the protein in the bag. Lamb, Chicken, vension, herring, turkey or beef.

Maybe feeding ckicken broth & rice diet (very easy to digest)a few days may help to take care of "stomach upset".

If something persist~~see your vet. (I don't care for Science diet vet as it has (fillers, like by-products, can't digest, can only poop it out, goes straight thru their system, gives them a larger stool as it is not digestible)example~~food that is totally digestible will produce small stool volume, with fillers larger stool volume because they can not digest.

Nutro is totally digestible. Concerns call the company.

All this is something for you to think about, a simple change can make a difference.

I dearly love my 4 legged family, they are the only family I have.

Best wishes to all that are concerned for your 4 legged family members.

Submitted by mcwcinti | March 18 2012 |

We started one of our greyhounds on Nutro Venison & potato last summer and because our
second dog liked it she went on it too. When the older dog had his teeth cleaned before Thanksgiving the vet discovered tonsil cancer but because he is almost twelve we decided not to try chemo or radiation. One of our greys had osteosarcoma, had his leg amputated and went through chemo but still died in 6 months, We spent over $5,000 with little success. Anyway, the dog with tonsil cancer seemed to be going downhill - didn't want to eat, extremely gassy - and our other greyhound stopped eating too - we thought it was sympathy. They both would eat their treats though. After finding a website where other people had dogs who had gotten sick from the Nutro food I called the vet and we put them back on their Science Diet Friday night. I set up an appointment to put the dog with cancer to sleep on Monday - tomorrow. i will call and cancel that in the morning because he is eating and no diarrhea, signs that we thought were cancer.

Submitted by Stephen | August 17 2011 |

I have two 5 year old maltese dogs and have always fed them Nutro Natural Choice Small Breed Adult food. Back in June, one of my boys, Benny, became very ill. He had very bad bloody diarrhea, vomiting yellow foamy bile every couple of hours. I rushed him to the vet and they put him on a IV for 3 days ($1700) and he almost died. They could not pinpoint anything exactly except for the food. They switched him to Science Diet prescription food and he had a full recovery.

Anyways, a couple of days ago my other maltese, Leo, who never had any problems with the Nutro food started having the same problems but not as severe. The vet said he may had just had a stomach virus and to keep him off food for 24 hours. He seems to be doing better today. Being that I have fed them
Nurto for 5 years, I couldn't believe that the food could be causing their troubles.

Yesterday, Benny the first sick Maltese got into Leo's Nutro food instead of his prescription food and now he is experiencing the same exact conditions as before. I am currently transitioning Leo off the Nutro food with a little of Benny's Science Diet prescription food until I can find a good alternative food.

After hours of researching problems associated with this food, I see that many many other pets are experiencing the same exact type of reactions from this food recently. It seems as though Nutro has changed something about their recipe. It may not be the food but it's concerning that taking them off the food makes their symptoms go away.

If anyone knows of a good natural food alternative for little maltese dogs, please comment? Vets these days seem so crooked to me and only want to sell you their food onsite.

Good luck all!!!

Submitted by Anonymous | August 28 2011 |

I have fed my dogs Nutro for over 5 years without incident except for one bag of small kibble lamb and rice. They all refused to eat it. I assumed that something had happened at the factory or in storage as it never happened again. But it is worrisome that somewhere along the line, quality control failed.

Submitted by Barry Disbrow | September 17 2011 |

For the last 10 years, I have been feeding Nutro to my dogs and cats. I have two 13 year old cats, one 12 year old cat and a twelve year old dog who still are doing well for seniors. My 12 year old Keeshond mix has a very beautiful glossy coat and a high energy level. My 13 year old male cat as a very young cat had a life threatening case of urinary tract crystals as a young cat. After being on Nutro for most of his life since then, he has had no problems.

I suppose that perhaps some dogs could be allergic to something in Nutro or else that some cases may have been simple coincidences. It is also possible that a sudden change in diet could spark some problems as it is generally better to gradually transition an animal form one brand to another rather than make an abrupt change. I have been giving my pets Nutro for about 10 years now and have no plans to mess with success.

Submitted by Kelly | October 4 2011 |

My schnauzers consume their food no problem...they have eaten nurto natural lamb and rice small bites food since we got them 5 and 3 yrs ago. For some reason 1 of them (3 yr old) is NOT interested in the kibble he will eat literally anything else but the kibble. His time in the yard is successful so I know he doesnt seem to have a block i am wondering if this is a bad batch of food?

Submitted by Dr. B | October 30 2011 |

Has Nutro changed the ingredients in the large breed lamb and rice kibbles dog food recently?

Just after Nutro changed their packaging and the kibble size of the lamb and rice dog food, my dog has started eating dirt!

He has been on Nutro lamb and rice for 7years and never experienced something negative.

My view is that something has changed and I am guessing that it has to do with a change of manufacturer / vendor by Nutro. Could someone please explain or clarify why fewer people trust Nutro today than they did 5 years ago?

Submitted by Anonymous | November 8 2011 |

My dog recently got sick - don't know if it is from the kibble but he is not getting any better by eating it. I started a new bag right before he got sick. The kibble was extremely dark - like it was burnt. I am going to contact the company. Last year I bought a bag with red bits mixed in. The company said another type of kibble must have been mixed in at the factory, I sent it in so that they could analyze it but they never told me what it was. I may switch brands, however dog is 11 and has been on it his whole life.

Submitted by james cayanas | November 10 2011 |

hello,

my dog got sick also after eating from a new bag of nutro natural choice. exact situation as yours. she has been on nutro for a couple of years. then all of a sudden...sick with vomiting 7 diarrhea with the new bag. stopped feeding her the food because she was hospitalized and was taking special gi food, and all is well. I didnt put 2 and 2 together until it happened again two weeks later with the same food. something is wrong with their practices or production, shipping, etc.

james

Submitted by Ryan | December 1 2011 |

RACHEL RAY NUTRISH BRANDS - AVOID this dog food. Both my dogs got sick from this brand. Yes we made a gradual change. My dog was so ill we had to throw out his kennel, blankets and pillow as well as several toys. In over 25 years I have never had a dog react so badly to a dog food. DON’T FEED YOUR LOVED PET THIS FOOD!

Submitted by NM Dog Owner | May 19 2012 |

My dogs got sick too! Two of three dogs had to go to the veterinarian hospital for treatment. Went to dogfoodadvisor.com for nutitional info., etc. Found that it was poorly rated and might have some questionable ingredients. Beware buyer... just don't do it! Buy a brand that has been well reviewed. I'll always research anything I put in my pets' mouths, just like I've always done for the humans in my family!

Submitted by Lisa B | January 19 2012 |

WOW! Started noticing changes in my large breed dogs eating and behavior within last month or so...I'm VERY careful what I feed my dogs as one of them suffers from pancreatitus flare ups and keep diet very simple and NEVER stray from it. First, it's cold and Winter temps and they started drinking a ton of water having to fill up two very large water bowls several times daily like if it were summer and hot temps. Second, they all 3 started sleeping ALL day long like they weren't feeling well and started not wanting to eat, sometimes leaving a full bowl the entire day only nibbling on it because they got so hungry and finally there was AWFUL gas, beyond normal and finally some gagging but no vomiting that I noticed, but the feeling like they wanted too. One of my dogs, who is about 1 year old, was not as active/playful and became clingy and even felt feverish. Used Large Breed Natural Choice and Senior switched to Max Large Breed and Senior. Kibbles did seem to be different color and smell. Normally I would gradually switch dog food, but from these symptoms and others complaints I stopped using immediately and hope it was soon enough.

Submitted by lee | July 16 2012 |

Just recieved samples of rachel ray nutrisse dog food.
That night my 2 year old pug had to be rushed to the vet for passing out after vomiting. That is the only thing that was new in our routine and it was a gastric attack.....be safe rather than sorry...avoid this product

Submitted by Lauren-Newport ... | November 25 2012 |

My chihuahua has been eating Nutro Lamb and Rice small bites for the past 4 years. Nutro recently changed its packaging. When I was at Petco to purchase the dog kibble, the Petco representative assured me the kibble was the same, only the packaging changed. Approximately 2 weeks ago my chihuahua suddenly had difficulty breathing. She then could barely walk or stand up. We all thought she was going to die. She had 3 visits to the vet's office, and I was prepared to take her to an internist as my final hope.

Last night, we realized she would become dizzy and congested when she would eat her kibble. Last night, we only fed her hamburger meat. One day later, the dog we thought would not make it one more day, is recovered, wagging her tail, and trotting around like nothing happened. I am not much of an internet research person. However, this afternoon I went online to find out if other people have had problems with the Nutro brand dog food. I am horrified to discover other dogs have had major health issues with the food.

I presently have 5 rescued pets. From now on, I will research pet food before purchasing. Good bye Nutro.

Submitted by Anonymous | January 24 2013 |

Has anyone's dog had problems with Nutro's new Nutritional Essentials formulation for senior dogs? Our dog seems to have increasingly soft, frequent stools.

Submitted by Anonymous | January 24 2013 |

I bought a bag of Nutro Max, chicken and rice on 1/23/13, My dog the next day his pooh change complete from hard good pooh to yellow soft pooh, next day he didn't want to eat, he drank a full container of water, and he is not active like always and he only eater ones. I have another dog she is sick she have cancer and with out me knowing she was eating the food, not even 3 hours later she vomiting and she was very blooding and peeing a lot, it is incredible how I see so many complaints about this food and still in the market thank God I saw the change in my dog and I search for information about this food. How sad it is how long they going to wait to do something about this. I hope nothing happen to my dogs.

Submitted by Missy from Calg... | January 26 2013 |

I am currently sitting next to my dog whose been vomiting for a week now, unable to keep rice/hamburger and water down. We have had 2 emergency visits to the vet to have fluids administered, along with bloodwork for pancreatitis and inconclusive xrays. Hes a 160 pounds american bulldog and he managed to make it 1/4 way thru this bag of dog food. Ive noticed since the package upgrade, hes been weird with his food. Some days he would sit by his bowl 4-5 times wanting more food and other days he wouldnt touch his food. After doing A LOT of online reading searching for some miracle, I've tried pepto bismol, pedialyte, laxative, down to hand feeding bread dipped in beef broth. Nothing seems to be working. He's 8 years old and my best friend, so I am reluctant to put him down especially when hes still trying to eat the mailman (I think its the way he carries the mail) and wagging his tail. Though hes not in any pain or distress, Im utterly hurt.

Submitted by Kimmy | February 2 2013 |

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice but my heart goes out to you, it's so hard to see our dogs suffering like that. : (

Submitted by Anonymous | February 13 2013 |

have the vet check for thrombocytopenia... low platelettes... don't want to feed anything with ethoxyquin, BHA or BHT... prednisone helped our dog for years - -

Submitted by Anonymous | February 6 2013 |

I am feeding large breed Nutro puppy food and the Venison to my other dogs. My puppy is drinking like crazy and her urine smells like iron. Her anal area is smelling now too. Very "fishy" smelling. She already went and was put on antibiotics for a bladder infection which now I don't believe she had. She is only 11 weeks old. I will not lose her or my other guy's. My 2 year old Cock-a-Poo is vomiting on the Venison. This really bites!! What can we feed our babies if we can't trust a company like Nutro??

Submitted by Amanda D. | February 10 2013 |

I feed my dog Nutro Ultra Weight Management and she seems to love it. She is a 4 year old Beagle/Basset Hound mix. I haven't seen any changes in her behavior but now I am aware of the Nutro brand. Should I switch her food or is it just a select few of the Nutro products that seem to be recalled?

Submitted by Anonymous | February 15 2013 |

Please check consumer affairs. Complaints thru the roof since the new formula NUTRO in 2012 with all the same symptoms and once animals are off the food, they are miraculously not sick anymore. That tells me it is the food. We lost our 10yr old and our puppy started to vomit blood days later. They had a new bag of NUTRO formula for 4-6days. Once we took the puppy off of NUTRO and had her on IV for 2 days, then moved to organic diet- no more issues. Nutro tested our food but won't share the results. They had their insurer, Liberty mutual contact us and they asked questions like, "Do you store your food near household chemicals?" Huh---we bought a pet plastic sealed container from PETSMART and we keep it clean (no bacteria). They sent a letter stating "if our vet believed Nutro was the cause, they could consider our claim". No vet can say for sure it was the food. They would be liable of slander without testing the food. Nutro knows the truth. Now other will 2. We contacted our local news affiliate and hope to air soon. Others are 2-in San Antonio and Tucson. Check out my FB page for more links and info "RECALL NEW FORMULA NUTRO"

Submitted by Elizabeth | February 26 2013 |

2/25/2013

My dogs have eaten Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice for most of their adult lives. We were with my 7 year old, healthy Golden Retriever, all day and she was healthy and perky. Today we opened a new bag of Nutro. She ate her dinner at about 6:15. At about 7:20, we offered her a dog treat and she refused to eat it. She had never, ever refused food before. We were very concerned. She was lethargic and in pain but her nose was wet and her gums were pink and dark.
At 8:45, she vomited a huge pile of dog food covered in a thick, mucus filled bile.
She fell down and would not get up. I thought vomiting would bring her relief. She was quiet. We moved her onto her bed, covered with towels.
At 9:35, she began to howl in pain. We had never heard this noise.
I called my vet to consult about taking her to the emergency room at 9:40. We decided to take her.
I called the ER at 9:45, to tell them we were coming.
She had a major seizure and lost consciousness.
We rushed her to the Animal HOspital and arrived at 9:59, hoping they could help her. But they told us she was dead.
I cannot describe the pain. I will miss her forever.

Submitted by Anonymous | April 15 2013 |

I currtently live with my brother who has a Rot. This dog is not a dog he is a family memember. Dawkinks recently had surgery on a fatty tumor that became a concern for my brother. within 5 weeks he went from fine to loosing all ability to use his legs. vomiting, depressed and just unable to move. He has been to the vet 6x they have ran every test known! this morning something wasnt right when i got to work i immediately called my brother and told him i thought dawkins was gasping for air. he rushed home to find him un responsive. breathing but nothing else barely hanging on. The vet kept him and told my brother to go home for a little to try and rest. We literally just recieved a call all test NORMAL but that they think he has been poisoned!!! he also happens to be on Nutro! i have been googling since and came acrossed your story. my heart bleeds for you. I will raise holy hell if anything happens to this dog! he is 5 he still has miliage!!!!

Submitted by Anonymous | February 28 2013 |

I tried this food last year on four of my dogs. One is a Shih tzu one is a Maltese and one a Chihuahua and another Shih tzu from another liter they all have their own bowls which are soap cleaned imediately after eating to be kept clean and dry from bacteria. These four dogs of mine all got ill, all had stomach aches and diarreah and so on. I sincerely feel this Nutro for small dogs got them this way for 5 years this never had happened untill I switched to Nutro, something is not right with this food, research it more. CAUTION! One of my dogs had very bad smelly poop. And yes all their shots are current Vet checks and all the right stuff. They never eat from the same area as they are small I feed them separately. O, weel for what it worth be carefull.

Submitted by Anonymous | February 28 2013 |

When my german shep. puppy was a few weeks old, the breeder started here on the nutro brand (since there had been a recall of a different brand that she normally used). I continued to give her that brand since I didn't want to upset her stomach. She was on the nutro natural puppy food for about 6 months when the vet had me switch to the adult formula since she was growing so quickly. I decided to keep her with the nutro natural since she had been ok. So, I transitioned her to the Large Breed Adult Chicken, Whole Brown Rice & Oatmeal Formula (royal blue bag with a german shep. on the front of the bag). This were going fine for about 6 months (we go through about 1 large bag per month). Then when I bought a bag around Nov/Dec (I bought the same exact food, from the same pet store)... things changed. At first she didn't have much of an appetite first thing in the morning. Eventually, she would eat only when she became hungry enough. That was quite strange. Around the same time, she also began to itch her skin a lot and a small bump appeared on her foot. I didn't think too much about it...I thought the itching could be a winter issue and I was going to monitor her appetite for a few weeks. Fortunately she didn't have bowel issues. When it was time to get another bag, I bought the same exact thing again. This time her appetite was immediately back to normal and the itching began to subside. I wasn't entirely convince yet that it was definitely the food. Then when it was time for the next (3rd bag since first suspicious bag), we went right back to the same issue. The first day, she didn't want to even eat the food, itching picked up again, etc. I was now convinced it was the food. I immediately brought the food back to the store and switched brands. As soon as I put a bowl of the new (different) brand food down, she ate it right up. I took the dog to the vet and they checked her out. They are confident that the itching and appetite was due to a food reaction. As a result of her exam, she ended up on antibiotics to combat reaction. When all was said and done, I ended up with a $300+ vet bill thanks to Nutro. Fortunately, my dog did not become severely ill like other dogs, but I will NEVER buy another NUTRO product for my pet. I searched around and I can't beleive there wasn't a recall by the manufacturer on their products. VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Submitted by Crystal | March 10 2013 |

Our 2 year old (Palm, poodle, shitzu) dog became ill after being on Nutro for about 1 month. He started vomiting and had bloody diarrhea. He can be picky about food so I bought the pink bag, for Adult Toy dogs, which claimed to taste great. He actually did like the taste of it. Anyway getting back to him being ill, we rushed him to an animal hospital and he was diagnosed with Hemorrhagic GastroEnteritis (HGE). I can't say 100% that this food was the cause, but after reading about so many complaints and studies of various dogs in different places, which all were on Nutro, he will never eat it again. See article below concerning an FDA investigation on Nutro. He's been home from the hospital for about 1 day and still won't eat. He's still healing from this and we are concerned that he won't eat.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 10 2013 |

I have a schnauzier who just turned 1 year old. I began feeding him Nutro for puppies when we visited my aunt who fed her adult papillon Nutro. The pieces were very small which made it easy for my dog to digest. My dog loved the Nutro and refused to eat any other brand. I switched from the puppy formula to the adult formula a week after he turned one year old and it has been scary. He vomited once or twice, but it was such a small amount, but he then began to have severe diarrhea and constant smelly gas. I know that it is the food. I really believe that I switched from puppy to adult formula too soon. The adult formula is not the small pieces that he is use to. He is still playful and isn't acting sickly. I have been giving him nothing but water to prevent him from becoming dehydrated. After reading everyone's post, I have decided to only give him water for 24 hours and then try going back to the puppy formula to see how he reacts.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 27 2013 |

I fed Nutro about ten yes ago until a friend's daughter worked for them as an intern - she told me then that they were being investigated for problems - vets were reporting that dogs on the large breed formula were dying younger than normal. I stopped feeding Nutro then and glad I did. This is an on-going problem for the company and it seems they haven't fixed it.

Submitted by Regan Kireilis Helms | May 8 2013 |

Oh my God, my dog is dying and I have been poisoning him with Nutro for the last 5 years. He has many of the same symptoms described in the comments here. Diabetes symptoms, Cushing's symptoms, his eyes have now ruptured. Thanks Nutro, for lying to all of your loyal customers over the years for a buck and murdering their beloved pets. I am heart-broken.

Submitted by PN | May 8 2013 |

My dog got very sick eating Nutro Natural Choice food in early 2013, as did thousands of other dogs across North America. Nutro has denied, denied and denied some more. My dog became very ill shortly after starting on this food and began to get better immediately after stopping to eat it. Nutro gets its ingredients from China indirectly (I think through a company in New Zealand). DO NOT BUY THIS BRAND. There have been problems with it dating back more than five years - year after year, problem after problem but no one stops this company and people still keep buying it's products.

Submitted by theresa | May 9 2013 |

I have 3 dogs that I was buying science diet the all natural .they changed the formula which I called the company and verified ! my dogs were throwing up and had diahhrea ! we switched to nutro venison and rice 60.00 a bag and after almost a week my dogs are throwing up again ! this food is so expensive and we thought it had to be better if you pay more ! I do not know what to feed these dogs anymore . these dog food companies are putting profit before a good quality dog food !!! what kind of dog food is safe ???

Submitted by Abe Gold | May 10 2013 |

I used NUTRO Lamb and Rice formula for 7 years. For 2012 the formula was changed late in the year, after 3 price increases. 1 cup killed my 60 pound pit mix who had never been ill. Gypsy was 4 1/2 years old and died a very painful death. She was the friendliest of dogs. The NEW & IMPROVED formula is the problem. It contains green tea oxilates which is toxic to dogs, not most humans. The FDA has issued a voluntary recall but that does nothing. News medials are not covering the story and many veterniarians will lie to you about food being the cause of a pet's illness as they profit from expensive treatments that do nothing but torture your pet. Their incomes and educations are subsidised by pet food companies. If you call the NUTRO Company they will tell you yours is the first complaint and deny the existance of the FDA recall. A class action lawsuit may be the only way to stop them from selling poison.

Submitted by bob | May 12 2013 |

My two dogs within 3 months of each other. Both of cancer. 7 y/o standard poodle with lymphoma. 12 y/o rat terrier with cutaneous lymphoma. Both were on Nute Ultra for about one year. Buyer, and eater beware!!!

Submitted by DDLASQUADE | July 12 2013 |

That is such a lie my dog died from your poisinus garbage im angry isn't the word im livid and have started getting testimonials from everyone who has fed there precious 4 legged family members this poison and believe me there's a ton of angry people

Submitted by Kortni | August 7 2013 |

Please do not feed your dogs Nutro. Only 2 months after changing her food over, her calcium levels increased to dangerous levels. She started throwing up, increased water consumption, urinating a lot, and then all together wouldn't eat. I took her in to the vet and they couldn't figure out what was wrong with her except that elevated calcium. After every test under the sun, I found out she has lymphoma last week. She is only 5 years old and has been healthy her entire life. Regular vet visits, blood work ups, and has never had a problem until I started feeding her Nutro. You never know in life what curve balls you will be thrown and yes, maybe it could be the hand she was dealt, but just a VERY crazy coincidence. After reading all these testimonies, my heart goes out to all of you. We are in chemo right now and fighting like rockstars:) Please be aware of what you are feeding your pets!!!!

Submitted by Minnette | August 30 2013 |

I recenlty purchased Nutro Ultra Small breed Puppy Saturday, Aug. 24. I have a litter 3, Yorkies 5 months old. The first on died Monday, August 26, the Second, August 27 and the last one August, 30, 2013. I am so hurt and angry. My puppies were very healthy prior to me purchasing this food Saturday. They started throwing up, then diarrhea, then blood in their stool, until death. dehydration set in, mouth was slimy, then weird breathing sounds until death. Killed them in 2 days of consuming. High vet bills, that couldn't do anything... The people responsible will pay dearly for this madness and wickedness..