Karen B. London
Extendable Leash Accident
Dog slightly hurt and very afraid

The dog was running away as fast as he could from what scared him, but unfortunately, he couldn’t get away from it. That’s because he was running away from his extendable leash, and it was still attached to him. The dog had hit the end of the leash and pulled hard enough to jerk the handle from his guardian’s hand. The handle had come flying towards him as the leash fed back into it at top speed and the internal mechanism broke. He became more and more terrified as the “monster” first charged him and then continued to come after him. Despite his speed, he was unable to escape.

His guardian was eventually able to catch him, and remove the leash. He did have a cut where the handle had hit him hard, but that healed quickly, thankfully. Though the dog calmed down considerably once he was no longer being “attacked” by his own leash, the dog’s serious fright would have lasting consequences. Like most dogs, he used to associate the leash with the happiness and fun of going on a walk or a run, but now he associated it with being afraid.

To help a dog in this situation, I recommend switching to a standard 6-foot leash and a new collar, and associating them with treats, toys, and walks from the first time the dog sees them and they are put on. The goal is to avoid transferring any of the negative feelings associated with the old leash and collar, and make a complete switch to another system that only ever has happy feelings associated with it.

I’ve seen quite a few dogs who have had a bad experience when an extendable leash was pulled out of the hand of the person holding it, and I also know that some dogs enjoy the freedom of them. What do you think about extendable leashes based on your experiences with them?

Submitted by Family K9 Dog T... | March 1 2013 |

I do not use retractable leashes and train people how to properly walk their dogs on standard flat collars and 6ft leashes. Retractable leashes do not teach boundaries and give inconsistent messages to the dog -- and are not safe for many reasons! Take the time to train for calm,controlled,fun walking!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 4 2013 |

I use extendable leashes ONLY in certain situations and locations where they will NOT be problems. But because I do that....I actually TRAIN my dogs. Several things:
1) A moving "wait" - so if I do happen to drop the handle (and it has happened), I can tell them to "wait!" and they will stop. Really, they will!
2) What happens when I drop the handle - I do it under controlled circumstances (at home, in the grass, on the carpet), and they learn (a) that multiple yummy treats will happen; (b) that dragging the handle around, which may 'chase' them, is no biggie; and (c) mom will always come to dog's rescue in a split second.

Yeah, there can be problems. And not all users will train as above. But I do and it works for me!

Submitted by TrainerLou | March 2 2013 |

I dislike intensely extendable leashes.
As a service dog trainer, I know the importance of trust and security between dog and owner. When leashed, a dog is to be close and bonded with handler. The dog is secure and knows he will consistently be no more than 6 feet from his owner.

Extendable leashes give the dog a false sense of freedom. When they get into something they shouldn't or near people who would rather not be bothered, the handler cannot retract the leash quickly enough. The inconsistency in distance is confusing to a dog and does not demonstrate the owner as leader.

I have witnessed so many accidents where 1) a little girl almost got her throat slashed from the tiny chain of an extendable leash, 2) a woman tripped over the extended leash and broke her femur and kneecap, 3) I have seen a man get his leg cut by the small chain of an extendable leash, and 4) I have seen dogs almost get run over by drivers who thought the dog was secured by the handler, when the dog suddenly ran into the street anyway.

Do not use extendable leashes. Keep your dog safe and close to yourself. That is the purpose of a leash.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 2 2013 |

The same thing happened to me and my approx. 6 month old shepherd mix pup. She appeared on our property and was timid by nature. I was doing my best to get her used to walking on a leash and she was doing well. We'd only had her about 6 weeks or so. Luckily we were only about a 3 minute walk from home in our rural neighborhood when she was spooked by a group of quail that burst out of a bush. She took off and tore the extendable leash from my hand and ran, totally terrified by this bouncing noise making thing following her . She headed straight for home luckily and though traffic is minimal we were still lucky no car came around before she got home. She was not hurt. It was a year or more before she was no longer afraid of a leash of any kind. When we went out she'd hug my side and not enjoy herself at all. I continued to boost her confidence and eventually she got used to the extendable again. I have several leashes that I use, different lengths, handles and none are a problem anymore thankfully but it was quite an experience for us both.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 4 2013 |

I have an extendable leash, but it serves one purpose: when the dog has to go to the bathroom. Our townhouse association does not allow fences of any kind (and a lot of other things...) so when our dogs need to go out back we put them on an 16ft extendable to let them roam the backyard for that perfect spot. The minute their finished though, it's right back inside. However, our dogs are also easy to recall, respond to even the slightest tug on the leash, and are medium sized dogs, so it eases my mind a little about having them on it for only a couple minutes. I still use extreme caution however, and recommended all people do the same. For walks or trips I use just a standard 6ft lead all the time.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 4 2013 |

I agree completely especially when you dont have a yard your dog needs some freedom.

Submitted by Rachelle W | March 4 2013 |

I cannot stand retractable leashes. I have always used a 6-foot leash with my own dog - and have had to quick-step around owners who use retractable leashes and do NOT have control of their excitable/aggressive/unruly dogs. These dogs freak my own dog out, and can turn an otherwise enjoyable outing for HER into something completely unpleasant.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 4 2013 |

My dog is on an extendable leash when I walk her around the complex to go to the bathroom. Anytime we're walking outside of the perimeter, I use a regular non-retractable leash. Retractable leashes break easily, but do provide the ability to let your dog roam a poo-filled area to find his/her spot to go potty without you getting your own shoes dirty!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 15 2013 |

or you could do the right thing and pick up the dog poop. Your dog's andd the rest.

Submitted by Sarah | March 4 2013 |

We only use them at beaches where leashes are required so our boys have a little freedom-- otherwise these stay in the car just in case we need an extra!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 4 2013 |

I have never used an extendable leash. It seems to me that, by definition, they teach the dog to pull. That just never made any sense to me. We have always used plain old nylon or leather leashes - a 15-25 footer for training; a six foot for normal walks, and a 4 foot under special circumstances where I know I must keep the dog at my side - such as when someone who is unsteady on their feet comes to the door.

Submitted by Gail | March 4 2013 |

I used both a 6-foot lead and the extendable leash. My first poodle did great with both, he understood the boundaries of the extendable and would run ahead, wait for me to catch up, then "zoom" ahead, having a great time. The poodle I have now is afraid of the extendable and I could so easily have lost him when I fumbled the handle and dropped it, resulting in the "monster" chasing him as he ran away as quickly as he could while it rattled close behind. Luckily he ran up onto a grassy area and the noise stopped and so did he. I now use a 6-foot lead with him unless we are in a park where there are no roads or pavement.

Many people who use the extendable can't control their dogs with it and it can be dangerous especially with large dogs.

Submitted by Lynne Findley | March 4 2013 |

There's an unfortunate instinct to grab at the string when a dog makes a dash for it. Stupid, i know, but that's why they are called "accidents" My husband's hand was severely cut when the dog sprang after a loose cat. I've seen the string wind around a dog's leg cut the dog.

I use an extendo-leash, but only with a little Silkie dog. You cannot control a big dog with one.

Submitted by Liz B | March 4 2013 |

I had this very problem. When Ziggy was just 9 months old I was walking him and the leash fell out of my hand. There he was; being 'chased' by his leash! The scene was both scary and funny. Thankfully I was in a safe car free area. The very next day I began training my dogs Indiana and Ziggy (both rat terriers) to stop on command-regardless of the surrounding environment. It was so successful that when Indiana was chasing a cat, I told him to 'stop' and he skidded to a stop and waited for me. My point is that the next time the leash popped out of my hand the 'stop' command worked to stop my dog from running away from the big bad leash!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 4 2013 |

I do use extendable leashes in certain circumstances and in specific locations where they won't be a problem for me or others.

That said, yes, I have dropped the handle. So....my dogs are now TRAINED. Imagine that.

1) Drop the handle in the house on carpet, in the yard on grass. Dog learns that (a) multiple yummy treats will follow; (b) chasing handle will not hurt dog; and (c) mom will rescue dog immediately.

2) The ever-so-useful command: Wait! When I drop the handle, I tell dog to "wait!" and dog stops moving. This obviously doesn't prevent the handle from retracting TO the dog, but at least the dog isn't running away from it. And yeah, it works even in this "emergency" situation. Which is why I teach it! Dog is getting ready to cross busy street? WAIT! Dog is getting ready to jump out of car or door? WAIT! Many other situations where this command is most useful.

Teach it and use leashes responsibly!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 8 2013 |

BRAVO! The retracting leashes are no more or less dangerous than a long leash. USED WITH TRAINING. Clip a wrist loop on the handle and you won't lose the flexi even if you drop it. Clip the safety collar on the dog as well as their own and fasten both so their collar won't snap and fly back at you. Teach the dog verbal commands. Use the retractable in wide open spaces,not walking a city sidewalk.In other word-plug your head in before using. Many a time I have seen an oblivious dog walker nearly take out a passerby with their 4 foot cotton leash while busy talking on a cellphone, so let us not blame the leashes...

Submitted by Patti Goettler | March 4 2013 |

As a Trainer and Behaviorist I really do not like retractable leashes. My animals are on taught to walk on a totally loose lead; with the retractable ones, as the dog applies pressure on the lead it pulls out of the handle. The dog is REWARDED for pulling on the lead!
Also, a dog can develop a good bit on momentum in 12 or 15 feet, making it very likely it will jerk the handle away from the owner.
These things were NOT designed by anyone who knows dogs, and are marketed to owners who are least likely to be able to control their animals- ( Bright goofy colors, attached lights, etc.)
The only thing I find more frightening is when the retractable leash is attached to a harness! Harnesses are designed for PULLING, (e.g. horses), this gives the dog more power and the handler even LESS control...
Please use a normal six foot leash when training, less lenght is even better in a crowded or public situation.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 4 2013 |

I don't like those leashes. I have seen humans let the leash go as far as possible when meeting other people and a human gets wrapped with the leash. Plus I was amazed at how heavy the handles are. I think dogs should be on a 6 foot leash. If you want your pup to explore more, teach him good manners and take him somewhere he can experience off leash exercises.

Submitted by Cathryn | March 4 2013 |

Amazing...I had no idea anyone had trouble with extendable leashes. I've used them exclusively for at least 15 years with all ki ds of dogs large and small, slow and speedy. We've never had a problem and since we do not have a fence it gives the dogs some room to roam. They know the extended length of the leash (ka-duh!) and when they hear the click of the locking mechanism they stop pulling and come toward me. Works great! Yes, they have gotten loose and pulled the leash behind them, but it quickly tangles and they sit down thinking the leash has been locked. Or, I tell them to stay, and they do. I am careful with puppies who are not accustomed to the leash, Nd often use a web leash until they are over the chewing phase, because the extendable s are expensive.

Submitted by Marion | March 4 2013 |

I cringe every time I see a dog on a retractable leash. Being a dog trainer I truly believe It teaches the dog to actually pull on their the leash. We should be rewarding the dog for staying close to us without pulling. Dogs should go potty on command when on a regular leash. It's better to let them get use to being in close proximity of you especially if you have to get a sample of urine for testing. It also handy when you go on vacation and it's not his regular spot. I had a Boxer client who would not go potty an entire weekend at the beach. They only had a nonfenced in postage stamp size yard.

Submitted by Linda | March 4 2013 |

I think extendable leashes are great, if you have a well controlled and well-trained dog. Like so many things with dogs, it's as much about the owner as the dog. I use an extendable leash when walking my two dogs - one leash/lead to two collars - and it works great, especially because both dogs have to work together in order to go forward, so neither one can go very far.

Submitted by Cindy Ludwig | March 4 2013 |

Retractable leashes are almost synonymous with out of control dogs with owners trailing far behind them. I find very little use for these things. Too often I see an owner fumbling at one end with a dog pulling at the other toward another dog and owner who most of the time do not welcome the intrusion.

Submitted by Greyhound Lover | March 4 2013 |

We call them snacks on a string. Imagine being a very high prey sight hound seeing two very small snacks round the corner well ahead of the person holding the string they were attached to. Worse yet, the person holding the strings' view was obstructed by a box hedge and could not see my hounds salviating at the sight.

I swear I heard Lula say "oh look! a live stuffie"

Submitted by Kimberlee W | March 5 2013 |

I do not like retractable leashes. I've seen dogs run into the street and almost get hit by traffic because their owner can't or didn't retract the leash in time. I've seen people with horrible cuts on their legs and hands from getting entangled in the leash. it's impossible to control a large dog when he/she starts to pull with the leash fully extended. And you can't reel it in because they're pulling against it. I do not recommend them to any of my clients. Instead I teach them how to use a 6 foot flat leash and collar and recommend a 15-20 foot long line if they feel their dog needs more freedom.

Submitted by Jan | March 5 2013 |

As a trainer, I dislike these leashes because they teach the dog to pull (ie: if they pull long enough, the human will hit the switch to give them more leash) I myself have suffered a nasty cut on my leg from a retractable, and a good friend lost his Jack Russell terrier, because he couldn't stop her from running into the street and being hit by a car)

Submitted by Katie | March 5 2013 |

They are very dangerous! I was warned once by a nurse friend that extendable leashes cause some serious injuries with kids (dog walks in front of kid, leash is at neck level, dog goes around kid, and you've got a kid's neck in the middle). So I was hyper-vigilant with my kid and dog, but it still happened, super-quickly, and my daughter ended up with rope burn on her upper chest. Many years later she still has the scar.

Submitted by Janet | March 5 2013 |

I love my extendable leash... if we are approaching people we use the "here" command and lock the leash to a less than 6' length.
My "scardy" pup probably associates the handle of the leash to a bad experience with nail clippers (I pay someone now ;-b). Her default response is to sit... so a "stop" works for her the few times she has been chased by an unruly leash... she also responds to smiles and praise if treats aren't handy...Things to remember/watch out for... if you have a 15' leash, that gives the dog a 15'radius which could end up with the dog in the middle of the road...I use stop/wait when crossing roads or driveways. It's like driving a car, you have to be aware of what's ahead. We had a close call with someone allowing a toddler to approach our two dogs, as we were passing by their campsite... the two dogs were on extended leashes and they didn't give us very much time to retract the leashes... nothing happened, but, it would have been nice for the parents to wait for an answer before they let the toddler approach our two dogs... luckily our dogs are ok with kids and weren't unduly excited... I can picture what could have happened!... I've had the burn from the 15' lead...prefer my extendable and have an easier time retracting the extendable than I do gathering up the 15' lead... without getting myself tangled up in it as well :-}

Submitted by Janet | March 6 2013 |

I agree that the extendable/retractable leashes are not for every person or dog or circumstance. We keep our dogs within a reasonable distance of the sidewalk ("Off" as is in off the road, the grass... the dogs figure it out :-)...) ... retract the leashes when people or dogs are approaching ("It's like driving a car, you have to be aware of what's ahead...or around you") You can't use them when you are going to be distracted by company (ie:chatting with your bff)... and they are definitely not a good combination if you are trying to control dogs and kids! ...you need to lock them at a shorter length when there is no sidewalk, etc,etc...!
The dogs have learned that "Easy" means they are getting to the end of the leash. We can use "EASY" and lock the leash before they get to the end of it as well. They have worked very well for us and with our own dogs... You have to acknowledge any tool's limitations... the limitations of your dog's training and self control... your personal limitations of managing both...You also have to be aware that the person on the other end of any leash may or may not share your ideas of "common sense" and that's life...
Stay Safe, enjoy your pets!!!

Submitted by Sarah~L | March 6 2013 |

My friend used an extendable leash, probably the same one for years. One day his beloved beagle lunged after a squirrel on the other side of the street. The leash snapped, she ran, and she was hit by a truck who didn't even stop. That was before I got my own first dog, and I swore I would NEVER use an extendable leash. So sad. She was his baby.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 6 2013 |

We use both with our dogs. Mostly when we use the retractables, they are in an environment where there are no other dogs and they can stretch their legs a bit more...e.g. deserted beach, rest area when traveling. We rein them in for control when other dogs are in proximity. Have never had the "bad leash" experience, though understand how it could happen. Walking our dogs in populated areas we ALWAYS use a 6 foot leash and training collar...this is our more frequent choice. What annoys us is people who don't restrain their dogs at all. Have had more unpleasant experiences with that than I care to enumerate!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 6 2013 |

They suck. Period.

Notice how all the dog professionals, all the trainers, in these comments hate them? Not one single animal care professional that I know in any field - veterinary, grooming, boarding, training, dog walkers (which is what I am), etc. -care for them.

I don't care how well 'trained' you think you have your dog, if your dog is on a retractable leash, you don't have full control over that dog. It might nearly as well not BE on a leash at all. As someone who often walks reactive dogs, I hate seeing them nearly as much as I hate seeing people with off-leash dogs. When I see a dog on a retractable, I then have to go well out of my way to avoid those dogs and their people, who are often not paying much attention to what their dog is doing or thinking of doing while at the end of the yards of distance between dog and owner.

Any time I have a client who only has one of those, I either recommend they get a regular 6' leash for me to walk their dog with or I lock that stupid thing at the shortest length and keep it that way during the walk.

For the commenter who said what's even worse is seeing them attached to a harness, I agree...and I once saw one attached to an Easy Walk harness. I first stared in disbelief and then started laughing and said to myself, "I think you're missing the point of the Easy Walk, skippy". And it was on a Boxer, no less. *facepalm*

Submitted by Anonymous | March 6 2013 |

I also agree that retractables are dangerous and annoying when used by people who pay no mind to their dog and let it approach whatever/whomever it wants - I have a reactive dog and have been approached numerous times by retractable leash dogs. The owners always seem clueless, and some even get angry, when you tell them to keep their dog away.

The only time I like the retractable leash is when I am using one to walk dogs in the large field at the boarding kennel where I work. It gives the dogs a large range of space to run around safely, and there's no worry of running into anyone else. But other than that, I hate them!

Submitted by Behavior Consultant | March 6 2013 |

Besides being potentially dangerous (and I have seen some really bad injuries having occurred due to this kind of leash), the extendable leash actually teaches dogs to pull.

An extendable leash is always tense - which basically makes your dogs think that it is natural to pull and feel constant leash pressure.

I have also seen people using this kind of leash in combination with a neck collar. This exerts constant pressure on the neck and may also seriously injure your dogs throat if the dog runs into the end of the leash. If you must use this junk, please use it in combination with a harness.

Submitted by Sandra Blank | March 6 2013 |

Retractable leashes are the lazy man's way of walking your dog. He shouldn't BE able to go way up on people's lawns or into fox holes if you out on a trail. Forget technology, get off your butt, and do it the right way.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 6 2013 |

I won't use one because of how many people have lost fingers because of them! I tend to wrap the leash around my hand to shorten it, and like my fingers, so...

Submitted by Anonymous | March 6 2013 |

i find them good and bad

I hate seeing them used as normal leashes, but i find them good if you're getting your dog used to the dog park, taking a walk through feilds or for vacation rest stops.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 14 2013 |

There are many, many ways that they can be dangerous to you, your own dog and to other dogs, people and drivers. In my opinion, the use of a retractable "if you're getting your dog used to the dog park" is potentially very dangerous. Not a good idea.

Banning them? Probably won't happen, but the world would be safer without them.

Submitted by Robin | March 6 2013 |

I used them in the past, but switched to a regular 6 foot lead and would NEVER go back to retractables!
So much easier to control the dog. Lots of dog walkers in my neighborhood, and many of them still use the retractables and let their dogs pull them or charge others. I am very afraid of them and the potential injuries they can cause. Wish they'd ban them!

Submitted by nanci00 | March 7 2013 |

I adopted out a 3 year old German shorthair Pointer mix to a man with a 10 year old son.... Boozer was a lovely dog, but we had rescued him from a situation where he lived on a chain in a garage for his entire life. HERE he had a big yard to run in and he loved going out and letting the rest of the gang 'chase him'. He was always the 'rabbit' during playtime, by his own choice. The very first night at 10 PM that he was in their care, I got a call from a stranger who had spent 30 minutes rescuing Boozer from US1, running down the street against heavy traffic with a HUGE flex handle chasing him and bouncing and banging against him. I send out adopted dogs with MY phone number on their tag always (and they are chipped of course). I went to pick up Boozer and finally got in touch with the adopter at about 1 AM. His story was that he sent the 10 year old boy to 'walk' his new dog with this big thick handled flexi... with NO adult supervision... and the obvious happened. Boozer did not have to run to put the kid in the position of not being able to hold onto it... just get to the end and pull hard to go sniffing. The new owner was angry with me that I only gave him ONE day to 'test' their relationship before I took the dog BACK into rescue and refunded his adoption fee. My answer was 'EXACTLY'. If an ADULT is so clueless and careless and LAZY, leaving a big dog with a child outside a fence, unsupervised.. well, DUH.. he is not ready to own a dog! Flexis are very dangerous in more ways than just this!~

Submitted by Alice Marino/Ru... | March 10 2013 |

As an individual and a Professional Dog Trainer I would like to see them prohibited everywhere PERIOD!! They are a menace to society, people and other dogs. They are the lazy way to have a dog take you for a walk. That's right, take you for a walk as they are always in front of you on a flex-leash. People MUST learn how to walk their dogs properly and safely. I have seen so many dogs get to the end of the leash and rip it out of their handlers' hand as well as dog fights started before you even realize it is happening. JUST BURN THEM ALL... PLEASE!!!
RufF love,
Alice Marino

Submitted by Anonymous | March 15 2013 |

I totally agree.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 14 2013 |

I used to use a retractable leash for my Pomeranian at an off leash park until one day my bigger dog ran between us and right into the practically invisible leash. My Pom was pulled hard and it spun her around and to the ground, so I will never use them again. Dogs still occasionally walk into our regular leash but because she is closer to me I can prevent an injury to her.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 15 2013 |

I had a very similar thing happen to me. I had just adopted a very anxious dog, and dropping that retractable leash scared her to death. She ran out in the street with the scary thing bumping after her...luckily I was able to get her, tho it wasn't easy due to the fact she really didn't know me all that well at the time either. I haven't used them since. I don't feel that you have much control with them.

Submitted by Anonymous | March 15 2013 |

I used to use them and now since i want to heel my dogs most of our walks, I use a 6' or less leashes.

Submitted by sheryl | March 15 2013 |

Since my girl is one that enjoys exploring, I use retractable leashes and always have. I use a large clamp to attach the leash handle to my belt loop. I can still hold it if need be, but am free to clean up after her when the time comes. It also gives me more freedom when we walk. Before using the large clamp, I was starting to get pain in my shoulder from holding the leash. Works well for me!

Submitted by LisaH | March 15 2013 |

Like most equipment, it comes down to knowing how to use the retractable leash properly. I have a variety of leashes for my two dogs and depending on the situation I may use their single 6 ft leashes, the coupler, the light leashes so when they are off-leash the leashes are light around my neck, slip leads for agility, and just this evening I used the flexi when walking with just one dog. Due to snow there are no shoulders on my road (its rural so no sidewalks either), and the flexi allowed him to walk the edge of the woods while I was on the clear road surface. My dogs are trained to walk safely and reliably off-leash and to walk nicely on leash so they do not pull on the flexi but know its limit. And I have accidently dropped the handle due to my own clumsiness and I simply say stop and whatever dog is on the end stops, nobody gets hit with it. It does require training/practice before using it safely in public and I agree it can be mis-used, like any training tool.

Submitted by S.M. | March 15 2013 |

My dog was bitten by a dog on a retractable leash. The dog lunged at my (smaller) dog before the owner realized what was happening, and my dog suffered puncture wounds to his face and one eye. I don't believe this would have happened had the other owner been using a conventional leash.

I've never used retractable leashes for my own dogs, and the lack of control this owner had with his retractable just reinforced what I already knew.

Submitted by Laurie Palmer | March 16 2013 |

I think anyone who uses an extendable leash is making a BIG mistake. Firstly, it gives the dog the ability to run pretty fast, and then the leash is out of your hands and the dog is not under your control. I'm a pet sitter and dog walker, and I refuse to use them. I don't consider them safe for the dog or me. I got pretty cut up by one once. So my clients know. I bring my own leash if I have to.

Submitted by Sharon, Zelda's Mom | March 27 2013 |

I've always had Berners or Newfoundlands, so a retractable leash was just not feasible.

However, I've seen plenty of people mis-use retractable leashes - and highlighted some of those instances (https://www.zeldassong.com/blog/uncategorized/are-retractable-leashes-da...) to show that these leashes end up endangering dogs.

Walking a dog responsibly - for both the person and the dog's safety - requires discipline and attention. I just don't see people exercising either when they use retractable leashes.