Guest Posts
Tick Removal Secret
As long as I don't have to pry ticks off, I'm happy

To Frontline, or not to Frontline, that is the constant question come Spring! Well, we got an answer a couple days ago. A stubborn gray speck on my Border Collie Magnum's eyelid proved to be a baby tick. We were too late. Ick!

I didn't feel comfortable prying this bloodsucker off of his eyelid, so we zoomed over to the vet. In the lobby, one of the vet techs came to greet us and take a look, but Magnum was worried and scrambling as best he could on the tile floor toward the door. I could still see that baby tick hanging on for dear life. Ugh!

We soon were ushered into the exam room. Before he could squeeze himself behind my chair, I offered his favorite tug rope. Suddenly, my scared little boy lit up and tugged all over the room. He shook his head back and forth till I asked him to release and offer a sit. Then we tugged and shook all over again.

When the vet tech came in, he flopped over for a belly rub and allowed her to take a good look at his eye. "Where is it?" she asked. I scanned his eyelid and only saw a tiny bald spot where the baby tick had been. He had shaken it off! If only it was always that easy to remove those things.

If you find a tick on your dog, how do you remove it? For tick prevention, do you use Frontline, Advantix or a natural remedy?

Julia Kamysz Lane, owner of Spot On K9 Sports and contributing editor at The Bark, is the author of multiple New Orleans travel guides, including Frommer’s New Orleans Day by Day (3rd Edition). Her work has also appeared in The New York Times Magazine, Poets and Writers and Publishers Weekly.

SpotOnK9Sports.com
Submitted by Sherrie Downing | May 1 2013 |

We Frontline religiously every 30 days. I grew up across from Lyme, CT and know ticks and what they can do all too well. Even with doing the Frontline like that we still had our Aussie Brodie get very sick with Lyme Disease last Thanksgiving Day. We check for ticks daily and still one escaped our attention. This year the vet is suggesting Frontline + Permetheprim spray to decrease the risk. There have been many dogs getting Lyme Disease in our area in coastal Maine down by Acadia National Park.

Submitted by Sherrie Downing | May 1 2013 |

I forgot to mention - get a TICK KEY. These are the best devices to remove a tick completely was ease. My dog didn't even flinch when I used it last year. They are about $6 a piece, but worth their weight in gold.

Submitted by Suzanne Wright | May 1 2013 |

I have used Advantix for many years with all my dogs and have never had a tick. For that I am grateful. However recently I have noticed skin reactions in the area around the application and have been concerned. When doing a little research I have been told that these chemical products are very damaging to our dogs systems and very toxic. I am terrified of ticks and would love to find a natural remedy.
Suzanne

Submitted by Sheryl | May 2 2013 |

I use advantix because it kills fleas and protects from ticks. I used to use Frontline but always had to give my furbaby a flea bath about twice a month. I live in a very woodsy area and the ticks are very bad and I want to make sure that I protect him as much as possible. I WISH I could use a natural remedy because I hate putting chemicals on my puppy, but I'd rather him be safe in the long run...

Submitted by Patricia Hanner | May 2 2013 |

Trifexis for the heartworm and fleas, Preventic tick collar for ticks. If a tick gets on me or Rascal I use a "Ticked Off" gadget, looks like a round plastic spoon with a slot - removes tick and it's head with ease every time!

Submitted by Cynthia | May 2 2013 |

I think doing a full body "tick check" helps most of all. We live in an urban area, and so mostly use Revolution to help with a potential flea outbreak. But last year after our heartworm test, the vet called and said our dog showed mild anaplasmosis. I was puzzled but acknowledged that we do sometimes go to city parks. But then later I remembered feeling a very small pea size lump between his shoulder blades the year before. I mistakenly thought that might have been some scar build up from his microchip, but now I know that was an thoroughly embedded tick. So I'm sure now to constantly to give him the once over if we've been under lots of trees. Which is not easy given his long black fur! I'm not entirely sure Revolution does the job.

Submitted by Beth Snyder | May 2 2013 |

We tie insect repellant bandanas on our dogs when they go outside (they are made for humans, so I feel safe using them on the dogs). They work well, and we do religious tick checks daily. I refuse to use Frontline or any other of the poisons that go into the dog's bodies. We lost our last dog to lymphoma, so no more chemicals for us and a strictly grain free diet as well.

Submitted by Cynthia | May 2 2013 |

I think doing a full body "tick check" helps most of all. We live in an urban area, and so mostly use Frontline to help with a potential flea outbreak. But last year after our heartworm test, the vet called and said our dog showed mild anaplasmosis. I was puzzled but acknowledged that we do sometimes go to city parks. But then later I remembered feeling a very small pea size lump between his shoulder blades the year before. I mistakenly thought that might have been some scar build up from his microchip, but now I know it was an thoroughly embedded tick. So I'm sure now to constantly to give him the once over if we've been under lots of trees. Which is not easy given his long black fur! I'm not entirely sure Frontline does the job.

Submitted by Linda Ericson | May 2 2013 |

I used Frontline Plus for years! It doesn't work. Found fully engorged ticks on my dog! My last dog had a severe reaction to Frontline. Why are we poisoning our pets? It's been three years ... Regular bathing & grooming prevents these issues!

Submitted by Wendy Petkus | May 2 2013 |

This is the craziest technique, but it WORKS! Take your finger and rub the tick in a clockwise circular motion as if you are trying to make it dizzy....it will feel like a long time, but do it for a minute. (The Final Jeopardy music twice). Then change the direction of the way you are rubbing to counterclockwise for one or two rotations. The tick will release, pretty much crawling out on their own. I wouldn't have believed something so simple would work, but it does! I go all natural for flea/tick prevention. I use Buck Mountain Herbal Gold, a powder that has Neem in it. Great stuff and is safe for both animals and humans.

Submitted by Jen | May 3 2013 |

Natural remedy - ShooTags (no affiliation other than happy product user). We always had ticks milling about on the dogs after we went hiking (and we had to flick them off before they attached -- luckily we only missed one once!), but after using ShooTags we haven't seen any on the dogs after our hikes. One or two during, but they hopped off on their own before we could get to them. We are very happy with the improvement, and not having to use nasty pesticides for fleas or ticks anymore. I sew little holders to put the electromagnetic tags on their collars properly.

Submitted by Jayme | May 4 2013 |

I use Bug Off Garlic from springtimeinc.com. It works great for fleas and ticks (my dogs have never had one and I can't tell you how many times they have gotten rabbits). Garlic is also good for their immune system! I used frontline until a dog I use to have had an allergic reaction and it burned all the hair off at the point of application. I will never use something that can do that to my dog on their bodies again. Plus this way I don't have the oily mess on their coat.