Guest Posts
Online Dog Training
It's convenient and can save you time and money
dutch shepherd dalmatian rescue trick gopher sit pretty beg
My Dutch Shepherd, Ginger Peach, and Dalmatian, Jolie, beg to go to cyberschool.

If you could train your dog at home, would you do it? Trainers around the world are betting on it! Online dog training is a hot trend. Costs vary, but when you consider the savings in travel time and gas money, convenience pays.

Need basic obedience or behavior help? Check out CyberDog or E-Training for Dogs, founded by Cheryl Asmus-Aguiar, Ph.D. Classes and webinars are available by subject.

Agility addicts often drive far away and pay big bucks to attend seminars by some of the top trainers in the world. Now many of them offer their knowledge via online videos and homework assignments. Some even welcome videos of your training session so you can get feedback from the instructor and your cyberclassmates.

Try a new dog sport, such as Treibball or K9 Nose Work; go to Wag It Games, founded by Sumac Johnson of Maine. Online classes include Rally Obedience, Sniff It, Ball Herding, Living Room Agility and Homeopathy.

For less formal learning, go to YouTube and use search terms like dog training, obedience, agility, disc, etc.One of my favorite channels is Kikopup. Instructor Emily Larlham of Sweden generously shares step-by-step training skills for practically anything you'd like to teach your dog. And it's free!

If you've taken an online course, I’d love to hear what you liked and didn’t like about it. Did you and your dog enjoy it working on your own? Did you miss the social camaraderie of a physical classroom?

Julia Kamysz Lane, owner of Spot On K9 Sports and contributing editor at The Bark, is the author of multiple New Orleans travel guides, including Frommer’s New Orleans Day by Day (3rd Edition). Her work has also appeared in The New York Times Magazine, Poets and Writers and Publishers Weekly.

SpotOnK9Sports.com
Submitted by Carolyn | March 9 2012 |

Sue Ailsby has offered her clicker-based Training Levels online for a number of years (see http://sue-eh.ca/ ). She recently published new training levels books which may be used in conjunction with a yahoo discussion group. I've been a member for the past 8 years or so and was able to take my dog to a very sophisticated level of training and fun, earning her CGC certificate. We live in a remote area of a developing country with no other dog enthusiasts so this supportive group of friendly people (especially and including Sue herself), was key for us. Can't recommend it highly enough!

Helix Fairweather has offered cyber-courses for a number of years as well and I've heard great things about them. I hope someday to try her cyber agility. See http://www.cyberdogonline.com/

Submitted by Frances | March 10 2012 |

I am not into serious or competition level training - most of the classes I attend are in order to socialise my dogs as pups and adolescents, or to give them the experience of having fun and working in a group of less familiar dogs and people. I doubt I would take a formal online course, but I am an avid reader of interesting ideas and helpful tips.

Submitted by Bella | April 12 2012 |

As a person with a disability, I think this is a wonderful way to keep my dogs and myself interested and active in their training. Thanks for the article.

Submitted by Best Online Dog... | July 3 2013 |

This article post is really informative. I enjoy the amount of detail that has gone into this page.You can also visit us at this website to get more additional information about these dog trainer & dog training http://calik9.com/dog-training-san-francisco#

Submitted by Best Onlune Dog... | July 17 2013 |

Congratulations!!!! and thanks for sharing this blog post with us on website and you can also visit us at this website to get more information about these dog trainers & dog training, http://calik9.com/dog-training-san-francisco#

Submitted by Joe | November 6 2013 |

I'm using an online training course by Doggy Dan. This is what I think;
PROS
Price
The lessons are videos (Way better for me to "SEE" a demonstration that read about it)
He covers lots of problems as well as teaching the basics
The site is easy to navigate and find what I need
He helps keep training upbeat and fun for me and my dog
My dog responds very well to the lessons
The lessons are short and easy to follow
CONS
Some of the problem lessons are very broad
No Phone Support
Sometimes questions take too long to answer
A few of the videos are kind of "DRY"

Overall I'm very happy with the site, lessons and Doggy Dan. If I had to rate it would be a 7.5-8 I'm a little picky about the videos. I am having fun training my Labrador with this system and at 4 months old River is sitting very well, stays good, Comes to her name and is starting to walk on a leash good, she still pulls a lot but getting better every day. Not sure if addresses are allowed but www.gooddog4you.com is where I got my start.