JoAnna Lou
Recognizing the Signs of Bloat [Video]
See what the symptoms look like in real life

Everyone with a large, deep chested dog is always worried about bloat (any breed can get bloat, but this demographic is disproportionally affected). Bloat is particularly scary because of how fast the condition becomes serious.

When bloat occurs, the dog’s stomach fills with air, fluid and/or food. The enlarged stomach puts pressure on other organs and can cause difficulty breathing and even damage to vital organs.

According to the ASPCA, even with immediate treatment, approximately 25 to 40 percent of dogs die from this condition. But certainly the odds are much better the sooner the dog can get emergency treatment.

I'm familiar with the signs of bloat, but the video below helped me learn what the symptoms look like in real life.

Roscoe, the dog in the clip, was adopted from Akita Rescue Mid-Atlantic Coast. The video was taken when he first got to his new home. No one present had ever seen bloat before. As soon as they realized Roscoe was sick, they rushed him to the emergency vet where he received life-saving treatment.

Thanks to this video, I feel much more confident that I could identify the symptoms of bloat.

JoAnna Lou is a New York City-based researcher, writer and agility enthusiast.
Submitted by Ali | November 21 2011 |

Thanks for posting this! I have read so much on bloat. I have a Great Dane and do everything I can to prevent this from happening, but I'm glad I've actually seen a dog in the early stages, now. I feel like I would be able to recognize the symptoms sooner. Very helpful.

Submitted by Shea Cox DVM | November 22 2011 |

Hi Ali! Have you ever considered (or know of) prophylactic gastropexy in your Great Dane? This is a surgical procedure that can be done by a little scope (just 2 teeny incisions) that will tack the stomach down, preventing the life-threatening complication of the volvulus (the twist). I have 2 Dobies, and highly recommend this; working as an ER vet, I see this too many times, and the problem being, is when owners go away to work in the morning and the bloat happens while you are away... coming home 8 or 10 hours later can sometimes be too late :(. Anyways, I just wanted to make sure you know of all the options; being able to recognize is so important, but being able to prevent is even better :). - Shea

Submitted by papadon | November 14 2012 |

iam dr. not vet and dosages are not the same ihave a westie who is 14 yrs old.i do not need to tell you he is verry dear to all he has been having gas mild boatin but more frequent mild vomiting to day i know in adults but i just got home and he responds but iknow he is in disstres and our vet does not take house calls i know there are westie people who have advise

Submitted by Anonymous | January 12 2013 |

We lost our St. Bernard to bloat 4 years ago. Horrible death, already torsed and in shock when we got her to the vet. I now have a 5 month old Great Dane who was scheduled yesterday for a routine spay. Got a call from the vet after surgey asking permission to open her back up as she had bloated post-op. She is now home and doing well after routine spay with additional emergency gastropexy. I should have planned on doing the gastropexy to begin with. Thought I had learned enough about bloat to prevent it in my Danes. Never thought it would happen in a puppy and greatful that it occured while she was still in the care of the vet.

Submitted by Pat Newcomer | November 21 2011 |

I lost a Bloodhound to bloat, he was gone before I could get help. Hubby bought me another one and he ate a "wasp nest" and started to bloat, I called the vet right and he told me to give him a(2) gas-x, which I did, I stayed up with him afraid I would loose him too, he paced the living room floor a few times and them Up-chucked.... Oh my did he up-chuck... BIG pile wasp nest and all, but it saved him. At this point the mess was worth cleaning up! Tell everyone if they except bloat to give the dog gas-x right away. It has worked for us many times!

Submitted by Shea Cox DVM | November 22 2011 |

Hi Pat~ thank you for your comments to JoAnna's great blog and video, however, I have to respectfully make the comment that giving Gas-X is NOT recommended in suspected cases of bloat...

There is "simple" bloat- where the stomach just distends with gas (which sounds like in the case of your Bloodhound with the wasp nest)- but the more concerning, and life threatening condition, is "bloat with a twist," known as GDV. There is absolutely NO way to tell the difference between simple bloat or GDV by clinical signs, and if someone followed this advice (and it was GDV, which is most often the case), simply giving Gas-X instead of seeking veterinary care can be a death sentence. I have been an emergency veterinarian for over 10 years and this is one particular disease process I treat much too often.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 21 2011 |

This video is great to recognize symptoms of bloat, but what causes it?

Submitted by Anonymous | November 22 2011 |

Actually, there are 2 conditions to worry about Bloat is when a stomach fills with gas, food or debris and is unable to empty,, not as life threatening as GDV Gastric Dilatation Volvulus which causes the stomach to bloat AND twist! ( they cannot vomit or empty stomach) This can cut off the blood supply to the back half of the body, and cause necrosis ( tissue death) rapidly and when blood flow is returned, toxins can still cause infection or death so time is the enemy. The stomach can also rupture or tear. GDV IS LIFE THREATENING!! Diagnosis is confirmed with x-ray, and the Veterinarian may attempt to de-compress the stomach via a oral tube. The blood supply compromise and "twist" can re-cur and that is why surgery is of paramount importance so the Dr can "tack" the stomach back in place and prevent future twists.( this is called a gastropexy) . this does NOT mean the dog will never bloat again.. Remember , there are 2 different conditions, with the terms often used interchangeably. Some dog owners with "prone breeds" like German Shepard, Doberman, Great Dane, Standard Poodles and other deep chested breeds get their dogs "pexied" at the spay/neuter so their stomachs are unable to twist.
Again; GDV IS LIFE THREATENING DUE TO BLOOD FLOW COMPROMISE AND TOXIN RELEASE AND RUPTURE RISK>> DO NOT WAIT!!
Andrea Nelsen Certified Veterinary Technician, Veterinary Technician Specialist, Emergency and Critical Care

Submitted by Anonymous | November 23 2011 |

My mongrel lab/boxer died of bloat, took 2 hours, nothing I could do, unable to take to vet due to finances. Horrible death, she was aces right to the end, in so much pain but remained good natured right up to death. Wish I could have done more, might have been leftovers she ate but other dog was fine. Disease does need more public exposure...nature is cruel.

Submitted by Anonymous | February 24 2012 |

uh... nature is cruel? YOU are cruel! Being "unable to take to vet due to finances" is NOT a valid excuse for allowing a dog to die a "horrible death." If you can't afford to humanely end the animal's life by taking it to the vet, at least call your neighbourhood's hunters who will shoot the dog in the head to put it out of it's misery. You shouldn't DO NOTHING! You should have been charged with animal cruelty for allowing your dog to be in "so much pain." "The other dog was fine" means you have another dog you can't afford?!? Well I hope you learned a hard lesson and won't let that one suffer the same fate. I wonder what possessions (gas-guzzling pickup or SUV?) and habits (fast food? cigarettes? beer?) you had money for, while you dog lay dying because you couldn't scrounge a few bucks to have a vet give the poor thing an injection. Give me a break, and smarten up.

Submitted by Anonymous | September 19 2012 |

WAY TO GO!!!..STUPID PEOPLE JUST MAKE ME MAD!..SO GLAD YOU SAID IT!

Submitted by Cynthia | February 27 2014 |

Excuse me! My dog got worms and no vet would even look at him unless we had at least 200$! Not even a payment plan. You have no room to say anything to anyone who lost a pet. Especially to bloat. Now a days all anyone wants is money and if you don't have it you can't be helped or anything. Pets are family and people who really care about them do what they can. I'm sorry but not a lot of people cant just pull money out of there ass. Stop being negative.

Submitted by Lisa | November 23 2011 |

I lost a dog to bloat also and before I could get her to ER she was gone. One of the worst days of my life. If I only knew the signs prior to it I probably could have saved her. Now I know the symptoms and what to do to stabalize the dog if you cannot get to the vet in time.

I have had two vet surgeon specialists and another vet that said gas-x is a life saving thing to have in the house in case of bloat episode. These surgeons have been in the field for 20+ years and I trust them with my dogs life. Also gas-x has nothing in it that can hurt a dog under a controlled dose.

My current rottweiler there is no playing after she eats or drinks for at least 45 minutes and no going outisde to run around after any meals. Dogs can get water bloat also from drinking too much water.

Submitted by sophia | October 29 2013 |

PLEASE note that gasx CAN POSSIBLY save your animal- but bloat/GVD/torsion all present similarly at first- the only way to know if it's just bad gas is an emergency trip to the vet-- gasx will do ZERO if your dog torses!

Submitted by Janice Rogers | November 23 2011 |

Thank you for this valuable information

Submitted by Anonymous | November 26 2011 |

I wrote this when my dog Tanner bloated- Tanner went to bridge four years after this incident. He survired the bloat but it was a very scary incident.

A Close Encounter with a Killer.

Ask people what they think a killer looks like and mostly they will describe a sinister, evil looking being that they would immediately recognize as bad. Ask people who have actually unknowingly had acquaintance with a killer and you will often hear quotes like “he like such a nice person” or “I am totally shocked, I never would have known.” Killers-they come in all shapes and sizes, they are not always easily recognized.

The killer that I recently had an encounter with is one that I have known about for many years. I had heard the stories of unsuspecting dog owners who went off to work kissing their happy seemingly healthy canine companion goodbye, only to come home to a silent house and a very dead dog. In fact two of my best friends lost their beloved companions to this often unrecognized killer this past year. Both dogs were German Shepherds. One was only fourteen months old. Young and full of life one day, Otto was very much dead the next. The other was seven year old German Shepherd who was in the prime of life and very loved by adoring owners. His fate was sealed also because his owners did not recognize a killer when it came knocking at their door.

My friend’s tragedy may have saved my Shiloh, Tanner’s life. When this killer came knocking I recognized him for who he was. Who is this killer? He goes by the street name of BLOAT. A very benign name for a very ruthless killer.

I was not expecting to have a life and death situation last Thursday, as I loaded up Tanner to take him to the vet for an ear infection. Tanner is nine and half years old and as far as I was concerned in very good health. He recently had past his yearly checkup with flying colors. He stills runs with me everyday and in fact has been training with us for a half marathon. We did a fourteen miler the previous Saturday and by Sunday morning he was ready to go for a short five miler. Yep, there is nothing wrong with Tanner. Oh how fate can humble you.

I stopped to pick up Tanner from the vet after work. He had been there all day, not his favorite thing for sure. The vet explained what I needed to do to treat the infection. I was anxious to get home. There was an artic front coming in and the winds where howling, temps were dropping fast and the weather forecast was warning that -35 to – 50 degree wind chill temperature were likely. I live about 25 miles from Missoula. The drive would most likely be bad with blowing snow and gusting winds. I just wanted to get home. As Tanner and I exited the vet’s office we were blasted by the frigid wind. My plan had been to stop and take Tanner for a quick walk but I quickly changed it, reasoning with my self that we could make it home and Tanner would be alright. Tanner certainly didn’t seem inclined to do any thing but wanted to get in the car and get as far away from the dreaded vet as he could. The ride home was uneventful. At home I let Tanner and my other dogs Jocko and Kola out. They all just hovered around the door. With the temps now at 20 below without the wind, they were not inclined to go walk themselves. I decided to feed them first then bundle up for the required walk. Tanner ate his dinner with gusto then went and got him self a long drink of water. He was very thirsty after being at the vet’s all day. The stage was set. Now all I had to do is open the door----

It was cold outside and getting dark. We were kind of sheltered form the wind but at 20 below, you cannot hide from the cold. I set a quick pace and the three dogs trotting along with me. I was hoping to that the dogs would do their business, but they were out to milk the walk for as long as possible. I noticed the change on the return trip. Jocko and Kola had finally given in to natures call and did their potty break. Tanner, though seemed to start to do his business but then stop and trot off. I thought he might be a little constipated. Things progressed quickly. I could tell just how Tanner was walking that something was wrong. He started to vomit but nothing came up except some foamy liquid. I didn’t see the killer yet but he was there, masking his identity as a typical stomach upset. Dogs get those a lot and if I rushed my dogs to the vet every time one of them puked well, lets just say I would be making a log of trips to town. But----I remembered Otto and Chandler. My friends had waited, and their dogs had died, what if this was the real thing? Thoughts were rushing through my head. I decided to call my vet’s emergency number. Their response was bring him in NOW! I think that’s when I saw for sure the killer and he had Tanner in his grip. I told them I would be there in a half hour; pretty unrealistic considering the driving conditions. I loaded Tanner into my SUV and sped down our long drive to the main access road to the highway, only to find the whole road was blocked by a neighbor who had spun sideways and was fruitlessly trying to spin himself out of three feet of snow. I panicked. After I sobbingly told him what was going on he, with the help of other neighbors managed to get the vehicle out of my way and I rushed past. By this time Tanner was whining and moaning in the back of my vehicle. I didn’t dare stop or look back, my hands where clamped on the steering wheel, praying that I would not go off the road. I made it to the highway. The highway was icy, the wind still howling, blowing snow across the road. I managed to calm myself and drive with caution. Finally after what seemed like hours but in fact was only 45 minutes, I drove up to the vet’s office. They were waiting for me and swept Tanner away to do x-rays. As I was waiting for the results of the x-ray I started having doubts, thinking that I had over reacted. Those doubts were put to rest when the vet tech came bursting through the door, shouting its BLOAT, do we have permission to do surgery. I signed the forms. They told me to go home and they would call. All I could think of was that I never got to tell Tanner goodbye. As I drove up to our house I could see my husband had come home. He greeted me on the deck and quickly saw that Tanner was not with me. “Where is Tanner?” he asked. I burst into tears. After I gave him the run down he suggested that we pray. We held hands and prayed for Tanner. I felt better knowing that it was in God’s hands. About five minutes later the phone rang. Tanner was okay. We had got him there on time. There was no torsion and all the tissue looked healthy and pink. He would require some extensive post op care, but he was going to make a full recovery. I started crying again but these were tears of joy.

We picked up Tanner on Saturday. What a joyful reunion on both sides. Jim and I dutifully listen to the vet give us all the instructions for post op care. Small amounts of bland food fed every two hours, no running, jumping etc etc. I made the decision right then to take this week off of work to care for him. After the vet finished, one of the vet techs came out to talk with us. She was telling how important it is to get a dog in quickly when suspecting bloat. Ironically as we were standing there a couple burst in carrying a dog. It looked like the dog was dead. The lady was crying and the man face was tight with emotion. It turns out their dog had bloated and died on the way to the vets. “We didn’t know” she cried. “We thought it was just a simple upset stomach.”

This killer is still out there-Be sure you recognize him if he come knocking! You dogs life depends on it!

Submitted by Sandra | March 22 2014 |

Our Maggie survived because I had seen this very video and remembered the "ropy, foamy vomit" she had only the simple distention, no twisting, but she was in a life threatening situation all the same.

Thank-you for filming it, and posting it.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 26 2011 |

This was hard to watch, but thank you for posting it. It's very educational.....

Submitted by Anonymous | November 26 2011 |

They can present differently from this. Irish Setters tend to be much more active. They will do a lot of turning and lying down but cannot get comfortable. Trying to hide in the closet. Sitting and looking uncomfortable. Unproductive retching. My Irish Setter's stomach was clearly distended and I could hear water sloshing around in her stomach like inside a metal tank. Call vet and say the dog is bloating so as not to waster time discussing what might be happening. Give Gas-X or any sementhione product if you can get it down. Lifting the dog's front legs to raise the dog into a stand can sometimes give temporary relief of pressure. Getting the dog to a vet is critical. Do not ever give dogs water with ice in it - it can cause bloat. It looked like this dog was drinking ice water or was that leaves in the pan?

Submitted by OPAL | January 12 2013 |

Thank you I have been trying to find out what is the matter with my 6 yr. old Rottweiler. Her stomach is VERY swollen, she has really bad, nasty gas, her stomach makes all kinds of horrible sounds. she drools excessively. she has gained about 20 lbs. since this started about 3 months ago. Can blot last that long?
I have taken her to the vet twice. They said she might have cushings, she's overweight put her on a diet, and her thyroid is low. They put her on medication twice a day for that, for the rest of her life. She's been on this med for 3 mths. now, it keeps getting worse. she looks like she's going to give birth! she doesn't seem to be in distress, she plays. Vet is no help. how do I find a good vet? please help, I don't want to lose my girl. She's our live's.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 26 2011 |

so how is this dog? Instead of video documenting this poor dog, did someone get him urgently to a vet for treatment? I could watch past the 1st 30 seconds of this video... I wanted to urgently jump thru the screen to get him to a vet.

Submitted by Lisa Wogan | November 28 2011 |

Sorry to concern you. As the post and the video explained, the owners took the video of their new dog and were unaware of the problem. Once they realized their dog was in trouble, they took him to the vet where he was treated and recovered.

Submitted by Anonymous | April 16 2014 |

Unaware he was in trouble .... Without knowing the dog nor signs of bloat I could see the dog was in trouble within seconds .... !!! They just wanted to make a video! How sad!

Submitted by Kathy | April 16 2014 |

Didn't know their dog was in trouble .... Excuse me .... Within seconds I could tell the dog was in trouble and I'm not a vet nor do I know the dog personally and I don't know anything about bloat .... These people just wanted to make a video so it could be posted .... How sad

Submitted by Stephanie | November 29 2011 |

Thank you for posting this informative video. I have a 3-year old Weimaraner who is rather large for his breed (100+ pounds with a very deep chest). He tends to inhale his food without chewing and drinks tons of water. I am always concerned about bloat and try my best to monitor his food and water consumption. This video really helps me with recognizing the signs of bloat but are there any resources or advice as how to prevent bloat? Even simple things other than surgery? Thanks so much!

Submitted by Anonymous | December 6 2011 |

One of the easiest ways to prevent this condition is to not let your dog go out to play or run immediately after eating/drinking a large amount. It's usually suggested to go out to play or run first, then let them come in to drink or eat as much as they need to. If the dog must eat/drink before going out to play, it would be advisable to wait at least 2 hours before letting them be overly active.

I would also try to discourage the dog's rapid eating habits, if you can.

Submitted by Anonymous | January 3 2012 |

You can place a few tennis balls in his food bowl. It will make it harder for him to wolf down his food. They also make special bowls for it.

Submitted by Liz | December 18 2011 |

Wish I had seen this last week. I just lost my dog on Friday. I had him at the vet 3 times to try and diagnose him. He died on Friday. He had all these symptoms.The vet did not diagnose bloat.there is no doubt this is what it was. What makes me feel so bad is I had a chance to save him if I had seen this before.

Submitted by Denise | April 20 2012 |

I wish I would have seen this too. What I thought was a heart attach, may very well have been bloat. Oliver, however did not seem distressed at all. He simply sat up, made an odd sound and by the time I got to him - literally seconds - he was falling over in my arms. I took him to the ER (30 min away) trying to perform CPR on him while my husband drove, but got there too late. Needless to say we are all devistated. He was my life - and only 6 year old beautiful english bulldog.

Submitted by Sherill | October 9 2012 |

I'm so sorry for you loss...that's so sad. I have 2 english bulldogs and 1 blueblood bulldog and this makes me cry :( I'm afraid that this might happen to them...

Submitted by Laura Johnson | March 18 2012 |

I work everyday with dogs yet never experienced what "bloat" looked like. A client actually emailed me this video some time ago, and I thought "I should watch this, just to know". I write this email in tears as my watching this video helped me save my dog's life yeaterday. I won't get into details but I will be forever grateful for the education this video provided. Heal quick my Big Ben (9 year old Golden Retriever).

Submitted by Mara Comitas | October 3 2012 |

This poor boy. Thank goodness he got to the vet in time but sad he had to suffer. Every dog family should see this video. Thanks for posting.

Submitted by Barbara | October 7 2012 |

This is what happened to my 10 yr. old Red Bone on Thursday> He started with the pacing around and vomiting as if he had gotten a hold of a frog again. (he is notorious for this so i really didn't think much of it at this point) By thursday night I noticed his sides were getting destined, but not bad. By Friday am he had no change other than more noticeable distention (more on the left side than right) and increase in excessive foamy drooling noted. I took him to our veterinarian and he noticed right away he may be bloated. (of course I did not know what this was) X-rays and lab done immediately showing he had Gastric dilatation and Volvulus. Dr reported he was hours away from death with changes noted in his test result as it was affecting his heart and kidneys! We had a decision to make based on his age and the degree of his bloating. We were not ready to give him up and I did not hesitate based on the cost to let the Dr proceed and at least save him with surgery. This is a very expensive and invasive surgery. He also had a Gastropexy performed as a preventive procedure to hopefully help a reoccurrence of GD . As of today, Sundays report from the Vet is>he is alive and doing well with expectation of making a slow but full recovery with some live style changes. The love for your pet goes both ways. He's as ready to get back to the farm as we are to have him back.

Submitted by Anonymous | October 17 2012 |

Thank you. We have a Golden Retriever. She had a bloat and had the gastropaxi. Only 9 days later she bloated again. She seems to go from being fine to distended abdomen and trying to throw up almost instantly. So hard to see it coming.

Submitted by Steven Vickery | October 27 2012 |

You're lucky you were able to make the financial contribution in order to have your dog saved. My family and I weren't so lucky as we had a healthy German Shepard named Darla the happiest most energetic dog have a bloat after her 3 years with our family.

CHEROKEE COUNTY EMERGENCY VET told us it would be 2-3,000 to fix we tried to offer 1,600 then they told us it would be 5,000-6,000. The vet mind you had an empty lobby. They could have fixed her and instead they put her down and sat back on there asses the rest of the night. I'm so disgusted at how this type of business is handled. Whatever happened to passion and remembering the reason you originally got into the business.

Just disgusted at how some VETS are insanely disgusted right now...

Submitted by papadon | November 14 2012 |

please refer to my statemement of 11/14 /12 on boating for our westie

Submitted by Sarah Boult | July 9 2013 |

This video saved my Great Danes life! He was doing exactly what the dog in the video was doing, so I was searching on the internet and found this video. After watching we took him straight to the vets. We had heard of bloat before we thought the dog would be barking in pain. Thank you for posting this video - every dog owner should be aware of this!

Submitted by patty | August 19 2013 |

how unusual is it for an medium sized dog pushing 30 pounds but 30 is over weight since he is a senior dog and fixed. my baby boy has been acting out of place with some of these symptoms

Submitted by Pam | September 6 2013 |

How in the world could the sick man who filled this and narrated it, do so and just watch this poor dog suffer? Whoever was just watching this happen needs jailed for animal neglect! Only a sick twisted individual could film this without helping it!

Submitted by Elizabeth | January 16 2014 |

The article notes that this video was taken by the owners who had never seen bloat before. It is therefore more likely that the narration was done after the fact, by someone who has substantial experience with the topic.

Submitted by Chris | March 18 2014 |

That is an overly harsh criticism of the dog owner. They at least recognized that their dog was in distress, which explains why the camera was focused on the dog in the first place. There's a good chance that the dog has appeared ill before in response to non-threatening illnesses, so they didn't want to seek help too soon.
Kudos to them for capturing this scary presentation that now can save many other dogs from the same problem.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 11 2013 |

We had heard of bloat (and know of torsion in horses), but never thought of it until my beloved 9 year old German Shepherd got it. He was vomiting, panting... I didn't know what was wrong but I knew it was serious and got him to the vet ASAP. They pronounced "bloat" immediately and opened him up. His stomach had already twisted and was black (necrotic), but when they untwisted it, it pinked up immediately. He made a full recovery -- so grateful -- but I feel like he was "older" after that surgery. He died two years later, peacefully.

Now my instructions to anyone who cares for my dog talk about bloat a lot. I don't want this to happen to my new shepherd, ever.

Thanks for the video.

Submitted by Anonymous | December 9 2013 |

I lost my Beagle a couple of years ago to bloat, at the time I had never heard of it and it was too late by the time I got to the Vet. my family and I were devastated it's a really horrible way for your dog to die
thank God I know about this now and I can watch for the symptoms in my boxer

Submitted by Anonymous | January 18 2014 |

This is my first time to this topic.:) The link (url) from the ASPCA states, "The exact cause is currently unknown."

Kansas State University Sept. 8, 2009:

"Don't feed your dog right before or right after intense exercise. This may predispose the dog's stomach to bloat or twist, especially for large breed or deep-chested dogs. A general rule of thumb is to not feed dogs an hour before or after exercising." K-STATE VETERINARIAN SAYS OWNERS SHOULD DO PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES WITH THEIR DOGS BASED ON SPECIFIC NEEDS, INTERESTS OF PET TO PREVENT OBESITY

Submitted by Chris McGatha | April 5 2014 |

Thanks for sharing this informative video. Like others I have heard of bloat, having owned GSDs, but had never seen a dog exhibit the symptoms. Now I feel I could recognize the symptoms.

More in JoAnna Lou: