Food & Nutrition
Choosing the Best Food for Your Dog
Providing good food is our responsibility
Pages:

It wasn’t all that long ago that dogs were either fed table scraps or their meals were made for them. I know that my childhood dog ate what we did, or in my case, what I didn’t eat—she was always ready to catch the bits of meat I rejected. She lived to be almost 20 years old without ever tasting kibble or canned pet food. However, it can’t be denied that great strides in the field of animal nutrition have been made since that time, and that some of this advancement is thanks to the research performed by pet-food companies, and animal nutritionists and veterinarians.

For the majority of dog guardians, feeding dogs commercial food makes the most sense; it is not only convenient, but—if they select high-quality food made by companies with proven records of ingredient integrity—it provides their dogs with a generally wholesome diet. In fact, many people believe that they are doing the very best thing by feeding their dog “dog food” and not “human food.” You hear this time and time again. More than a decade ago, I recall going to dinner at the home of friends, both of whom are medical doctors; as they prepared our dinner, they were also assembling a crock-pot meal for their three Greyhounds. Sheepishly, I must admit that I thought, Now, why aren’t they feeding their dogs a good dog food? But they clearly knew something then that has taken time for others to understand: No matter how you define it, dog food is processed food. It is manufactured, meaning that it goes through many steps before it reaches the dog’s bowl. The more steps a food takes before it is consumed, the more likely it is that a production or delivery system failure will affect its quality.

In 1981, when Laura Cunningham wrote the article “Pet-Food Esthetics” for The New York Times, she noted that people spent $4 billion that year on pet food. When the Menu recall story broke in March 2007, the amount had risen to $16.1 billion (projected)—a four-fold increase. How has this happened? Has the country’s pet population increased proportionally in a little over 15 years?

Reliable statistics on pet ownership are hard to come by, but in 1988, the first year the American Pet Products Association conducted their pet ownership study, they found that 56 percent of U.S. households had a pet; their most current survey (2007) shows 63 percent of households owning a pet, a modest 7 percent increase. I bring this up because while the statistics of pet ownership might not be all that reliable, the tracking of total spending on pet food is. And it is huge.

March 16, 2007, may have marked the tipping point for the pet food industry, the day the general public began to question how pet food is manufactured and the reliability of the claims made regarding its wholesomeness and safety. One of the most important tenets of our social contract with our dogs is to provide them with food that’s good for them. Many dog guardians believed they were doing just that by feeding their dogs some of the products removed from the shelves by the Menu recall. Even people who have long been concerned about the pet food industry and who don’t feed their pets commercial food were surprised by the enormity of this recall. How could this have happened?

There are many reasons, starting with lax FDA oversight and the self-regulated, non-governmental nature of the Association of American Feed Control Officials, which sets nutritional standards, label requirements and feed-trial protocols for pet foods. Many of its members come from state agriculture departments as well as from within the industry itself. The pet food market is controlled by huge multinational conglomerates, and five companies dominate: Nestlé (Purina, Alpo, Friskies, Mighty Dog), Del Monte (Gravy Train, Nature’s Recipe, Milk Bone), MasterFoods (Mars’ Royal Canin, Pedigree, Sensible Choice), Proctor and Gamble (Iams, Eukanuba) and Colgate-Palmolive (Hill’s Science Diet, Nature’s Best).

Pages:

Submitted by Brett | January 30 2010 |

Informative article. There are quality dog foods out there. Just stay away from by-products, grain fillers, and preservatives. I give my pup Newman's Own which he loves and is good for him as well. You may have to pay more, but it will ensure that your dog is healthier and will give you peace of mind.

Submitted by Christina chambreau | October 22 2010 |

It is wonderful that you did the research and made an educated choice of diet. Just like with people, some dogs can eat a high quality prepared food and be healthy, while others show many of the early warning signs of illness. If your dog needs a bath because of doggy odor, or has crud in the corner of the eyes in the morning, or has behavior issues, a better diet could be needed.

Make your choice of foods - fresh or processed, then carefully track the health of your dog. Keep a journal, tracking any illnesses as well as the early warning signs. The Healthy Animal's Journal makes it easy.
Dr. Christina Chambreau

Submitted by Christina chambreau | October 22 2010 |

As always, Bark is doing a great job addressing current dog issues.

When I lecture, one question people love to answer is how old their dogs lived decades ago. Their answers frequently echo Claudia's childhood dog who lived to 20. Now many dogs die at much younger ages and/or have severe health issues. While lots of research has been done, processed food, as Claudia says, just does not make health sense. In the 50 years I have been in the veterinary profession there have been many heath problems actually caused by insufficient research by food companies. In the 80s many cats developed blindness and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy because the processed food did not have the taurine needed by cats.

If you wanted your children to be maximally healthy, would you feed a wide variety of locally, sustainably raised fresh foods or mostly processed (canned, frozen, full of corn sugar)? Of course you would do the former. Just as with food for people, every individual dog and cat may need different food, so the key not mentioned in this article is the importance of tracking the specific symptoms to pick the best diet. I totally agree with Christie Keith that canines are, overall, rather forgiving nutritionally. I am so glad bark will be addressing brands, preparing meals (cooked or raw), or buying raw meat diets. I am thrilled dog guardians can look forward to many more healthful alternatives in future issues.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 19 2010 |

I feed my 35 lb German Shepherd mix Solid Gold Wolf Cub (soon to be Wolf King)as well ass Nature's Variety Raw (lamb, rabbit and bison) and my cats get Nature's Balance Reduced Calorie... Are these good brands? I try and stay FAR FAR AWAY from the grocery store brands...Yuck!

Submitted by Ryan Lau | April 6 2011 |

I'm getting a dog for the first time in my life, and as an imminent father, I have been obsessively researching various dog products. I came across Orijen by recommendations from friends and it seems to be widely regarded as a very high qualtiy dog food that is made from ingredients "fit for human consumption" in "human grade facilities." I'd love to make homemade dog food for my new pup, but I can imagine that this is not always feasible. My guess is that alot has changed in the pet food industry since 2007, and since 2007 was referred to as the "tipping point," I assume that means that things have changed for the better. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Submitted by Renee | June 2 2011 |

I started feeding my two dogs (6mo puppy and 7y spayed female) a homemade / sometimes raw diet about 4-6 mo ago. Especially when the puppy came home. Not exclusively, I still offer the kibble. I only give my 7y about an ice cube size portion in the morning and again in evening. She is free to fed the rest of the day-which has never been an issue before. We just came from the vet and she has gained 7 pounds in the past year or two! She has not been weighed in awhile so I don't know how recent the gain is. Now, she is getting a lot of treats the past 3 mo due to puppy (puppy gets treat for potty, she does too) but they are little tiny bites (half-pea size). Not enough to make 7 lbs. So, I'm left thinking that it is due to the homemade food. I know it is healthier for her (current batch is gr beef with pumpkin, spinach, raw egg, carrots) but weight gain is not! But would maybe 1/3 cup of raw food a day make that much difference in her weight? She has exercised more in the last 3 mo due to puppy than in years, but still the weight gain. Any words of wisdom?

Submitted by AgnesRichard29 | July 22 2011 |

I strive to react urgently and I try to opt for only experienced writing service.

Submitted by Helen Billet | November 27 2011 |

Excellent article. The one hurdle that people seem to face with feeding quality food to their dogs is price. Finding good coupons seem to help with that and I use a site that I check weekly to see if any coupons are available for the dog food that I use: http://petfoodtalk.com/dogfoodcoupons/. I very rarely pay full price for my dog food anymore.