Guest Posts
Party Animals
Jill Beninato celebrates dogs and artists.

The only downside to Jill Beninato’s inspired fundraising art collaboration last year was there wasn’t enough art to go around. Thirteen copies of the luscious art swap/fat book, Dogs Rule (see The Bark, September 2008), went to the participating artists and only one was auctioned for the benefit of A Place To Bark animal rescue. Well, Beninato is back—and this time she’s corralled even more dog artists to donate original work for the animal shelter and she’s found a way regular art-and-dog-appreciating folks can enjoy the art and support the cause.

This year, 20 artists, including Nancy Schutt and Anne Leuck Feldhaus, created work based on the theme, Party Animals, in the medium of their choice. Beninato photographed each and compiled them in a zine, along with articles and information about A Place To Bark. The final product is 40-plus, full-color pages (printed on demand by Lulu).

If you like the more exclusive appeal of Dogs Rule, the original artwork for Party Animals will be auctioned on Ebay, October 15, 2009. For details on the auction and a complete list of Party Animal artists with links to their websites, visit the SitStaySmile blog. Learn more about the genesis of the original idea and the “sisterhood” of dog artists in an interview with Beninato on the Art Dog Blog.

Lisa Wogan lives in Seattle and is the author of, most recently, Dog Park Wisdom. lisawogan.com
Submitted by Melissa Langer | July 14 2009 |

Thank you so much for spreading the word about Jill's inspired project and fundraiser.
I am honored to be a part of this wonderful collaboration.
I love your magazine!
It is always overflowing with positive energy and art!

Submitted by Tamandra Michaels | July 14 2009 |

Thanks so much for featuring this on the blog! I'm also one of the artists, as my "party animal" dog is the perfect subject for the theme! I'm so honored to be a part of this project, which goes to an extremely worthy cause. A Place to Bark and the work Bernie Berlin does so deserves our support!

Submitted by Kelly Snelling | July 15 2009 |

it really is a gorgeous book! and how can you not love it when it goes to help all those animals? thank you for hollering about it. it is much appreciated.

Submitted by Rebecca | July 15 2009 |

Lisa, thanks for spreading the word about Jill's book project and the auction. I got my copy of the zine in the mail today and have to say that the colors are perfect. I am one of the artists involved and I was amazed at how close the print colors are to my original painting. Jill did a great job on the layout with this stunning little book. Now I just have to decide how many works I will be bidding on.

Submitted by Kathrine Konetz... | July 21 2009 |

Thanks so much for the heads up on this wonderful project; I just ordered my copy of the book and can't wait to see it in person!!

Submitted by Melissa | July 23 2009 |

This is a beautiful book. Thanks for letting us know about it and for helping to raise money for such a great cause! Bernie does amazing work at A Place to Bark and has saved the lives of so many animals.

Submitted by Kathy Konetzka-Close | July 28 2009 |

I got my copy in the mail yesterday and it's just such a fun little book. Just gorgeous colors, neat artwork, and the money definitely goes to a good cause. Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!