JoAnna Lou
Print|Email|Text Size: ||
The Danger of Water Intoxication

Last week a friend’s dog had a close call with water intoxication. Her crew was playing in a local river when one of her Border Collies emerged staggering and vomiting liquid.

Symptoms quickly worsened on the way to the vet, but after a few harrowing days, the dog was fortunate to make a full recovery.

Apparently the poor pup ingested too much water while repeatedly diving into the river, mouth open, trying to catch a ball. Drinking too much causes electrolyte levels to drop, thinning blood plasma and leading to swelling of the brain and other organs.

Before I learned about water intoxication, I thought that playing in the lake was safe if your dog was a strong swimmer. But now I know to be mindful of how my guys interact with the water and to force them to take ample breaks. Dogs can even drink too much water from playing with a lawn sprinkler.

Unfortunately water intoxication progresses quickly. Now that summer is officially here, it’s important to review the signs so you can get an affected dog to the vet as soon as possible.

Symptoms include lack of coordination, lethargy, nausea, bloating, vomiting, dilated pupils, glazed eyes, light gum color, and excessive salivation. Advanced symptoms include difficulty breathing, collapsing, loss of consciousness, and seizures.

As the weather gets warmer, stay safe. Water intoxication can affect both people and our pups.     

JoAnna Lou is a New York City-based researcher, writer and agility enthusiast.

Photo by sharper65/flickr.

CommentsPost a Comment
Please note comments are moderated. After being approved your comment will appear below.
Submitted by mary ann | August 10 2013 |

I have heard of this happening to dogs. It can also happen to humans. I had it happen to me many years ago when told to drink a certain amount of water to takea sonogram. By the time I arrived at the testing site I had thrown up most of it. Took the test anyway at my insistance and still had enough in me to take the test.

Submitted by brandi | September 29 2013 |

Unfortunately I have seen this happen my pitt bull roxy was only 3 years old when she passed from water intoxication. We could not keep her out of the water she loved it so much and we lost her because of it. She acted like a drunk person and passed away as soon as we got her home...she was my best friend and it was hard burrying her so saying it rarely happens is hard to say because I personally have had it happen to my pet and wish I would have known before hand because I could have saved her with the pedialyte I had in my bag.

Submitted by Diane | October 29 2013 |

YOUR DOG COULD DIE FROM THIS! I know because my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel did. She loved playing with the hose when I would wash my car and would throw the hose in the air in order to catch the sparkling water as it fell. You wouldn't think she could ingest too much water but she did. We both thought this looked like a fun game until she drank so much that within an hour following our play, she literally fell over and went into shock. After five hours of desperate care by my vet and his staff, she finally passed but it was the most horrific death to a loving pet I had experienced in my 62 years of having furry family members. Don't take this lightly! Pets can die from over ingesting water.


More From The Bark

More in JoAnna Lou:
Canine Revenge
Dying Woman's Last Wish
Kennel State of Mind
Guide Dog Double Date
Bandannas for Pups
Pondering the Past
Less is Sometimes More
Danger in the Elevator
The Science Behind Bomb Sniffing Dogs
First Dog Park in NYC Domestic Violence Shelter