Home
Lifestyle
Print|Text Size: ||
Toxic Holiday Plants
Watch out for dangerous mistletoe this December
It might be a good idea to stick to faux mistletoe this holiday season.

For years I’ve avoided Poinsettia plants around the holidays because I’d always heard that they were highly toxic for animals. But according to Veterinary Medicine magazine, the toxicity of Poinsettias has been greatly exaggerated

Research estimates that the average animal would have to ingest 500 to 600 Poinsettia leaves to surpass toxic levels. The most common symptom is irritation to the mouth and stomach, which sometimes causes vomiting

I didn’t know until recently that two other common holiday plants are also considered toxic, one very highly. Holly is similar to Poinsettias and can cause vomiting and diarrhea. However, Mistletoe is the real holiday danger. Ingesting the plant can cause gastrointestinal disorders, cardiovascular collapse, dyspnea, bradycardia, erratic behavior, vomiting, diarrhea, and low blood pressure.

After learning of mistletoe’s toxicity, I will not be hanging any in the house. But I have started buying some Poinsettia plants. To be safe, I keep them high and out of reach of the pets. I also make sure that I periodically sweep up any fallen leaves. It’s always better to err on the side of caution to ensure everyone has a safe holiday season!

If you're wondering about the danger of any greenery around your house, visit the ASPCA web site to check their comprehensive list of toxic plants.

 

 

Print

JoAnna Lou is a New York City-based researcher, writer and agility enthusiast.

Photo by steve.willis/flickr.

More From The Bark

By
Karen B. London
By
JoAnna Lou
By
Karen B. London
More in Lifestyle:
A Statewide Ban of Doggies in the Window
Fourth of July Aftermath
A Dogs Grief
Tennis Ball Bombs
Why Were 24 Bomb Sniffing Dogs Killed?
Hiking with the Help of a Pup
Seven Summer Tips for You and Your Dog.
Ravens Player Sets an Adoption Example
Dangerous Water Hemlock
Protecting Dogs in Hot Cars