JoAnna Lou
Print|Email|Text Size: ||
Toxic Holiday Plants
Watch out for dangerous mistletoe this December
It might be a good idea to stick to faux mistletoe this holiday season.

For years I’ve avoided Poinsettia plants around the holidays because I’d always heard that they were highly toxic for animals. But according to Veterinary Medicine magazine, the toxicity of Poinsettias has been greatly exaggerated

Research estimates that the average animal would have to ingest 500 to 600 Poinsettia leaves to surpass toxic levels. The most common symptom is irritation to the mouth and stomach, which sometimes causes vomiting

I didn’t know until recently that two other common holiday plants are also considered toxic, one very highly. Holly is similar to Poinsettias and can cause vomiting and diarrhea. However, Mistletoe is the real holiday danger. Ingesting the plant can cause gastrointestinal disorders, cardiovascular collapse, dyspnea, bradycardia, erratic behavior, vomiting, diarrhea, and low blood pressure.

After learning of mistletoe’s toxicity, I will not be hanging any in the house. But I have started buying some Poinsettia plants. To be safe, I keep them high and out of reach of the pets. I also make sure that I periodically sweep up any fallen leaves. It’s always better to err on the side of caution to ensure everyone has a safe holiday season!

If you're wondering about the danger of any greenery around your house, visit the ASPCA web site to check their comprehensive list of toxic plants.



JoAnna Lou is a New York City-based researcher, writer and agility enthusiast.

Photo by steve.willis/flickr.

More in JoAnna Lou:
Pets Amid the Refugee Crisis
Honoring the Newtown Comfort Dogs
Lost Pup Recognizes Her Family on Television
Hero Dog Ends Up Homeless
A Special Day for an Incredible Pup
Service Dogs for Farmers with Disabilities
Dogs and Kids Bond Over Shared Experiences
Rescue Dog Sniffs Out Incriminating Thumb Drives
Emergency Shelter for Pets
Adopting her Canine Rescuer