|Print |Text Size: |||
We continue our dog-friendly Thanksgiving cooking with a twist on mashed potatoes.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
5-6 large Yukon Gold potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into large cubes
1 head cauliflower, washed, peeled and cut into large pieces, slightly larger than the potato pieces
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1. Place potatoes and cauliflower into a large kettle. Add enough water to cover vegetables.
2. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium high and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes and cauliflower are fork tender.
3. Carefully drain the water.
4. Add butter and salt to hot vegetables and mash with a potato masher, or using a hand-held mixer, Kitchen Aid mixer or food processor to achieve the desired consistency. I like whipped potatoes, so I prefer to use my Kitchen Aid and whip the vegetables until they are smooth.
5. Either serve immediately or place in a 2 quart buttered casserole dish and refrigerate to serve later.
6. Prior to serving, heat the potatoes in the casserole dish in a 350 F oven for 40 minutes.
NOTE: Do not vary the ingredient list without doing research to ensure the safety of your pet. My recipes are safe for the majority of dogs. If you have concerns, consult your veterinarian. Also, see my tips about sharing Thanksgiving with your dog in moderation .
Photos by Heidi Biesterveld.