Humane
Black Dogs Face a Hard Choice at Shelter
Don't judge a dog by his color
Pages:

Editor’s note: Best Friends Animal Society is kicking off their annual Back in Black 2013 campaign dedicated to finding great homes for black dogs and cats. It’s a reminder that a stigma can follow adoptable animals who are black, as they often wait longer to find their forever homes. Special adoption events will be hosted throughout the month by Best Friends Animal Sanctuary, our Los Angeles and Salt Lake City adoption centers, and participating No More Homeless Pets Network partners around the country. To learn more visit bestfriends.org.

When Tamara Delaney of Woodville, Wis., volunteered to find a home for a black Labrador Retriever named Jake last year, she had no idea what she was up against. Jake, cared for by a rescue group, had already waited nearly three years for a new home. And he would wait eight more months as Delaney tried to find someone to take in the big Lab.

It didn’t matter much that Jake was a sociable dog and in perfect health. Jake’s problem wasn’t his temperament—it was the color of his coat. Jake bore the stigma of the “BBD,” an acronym used to refer to big black dogs, who are frequently passed over for flashier, prettier dogs and wind up, like Jake, waiting for years to be adopted.

“Nobody wants a black-coated dog,” rescue workers told Delaney as she tried without success to find a home for Jake. And when Delaney turned to the Internet, she found that shelters across the country were overflowing with black-coated mutts.

“Please don’t overlook our black dogs,” rescue groups pleaded on their home pages above pictures of Rottweilers, Chows and Labs sporting bright bandanas. One shelter’s website just came right out with the grim truth: “The general public is not aware of how doomed black dogs are when they are brought to a pound.”

The more Delaney learned about the numbers of black dogs in shelters, the more determined she grew to make a difference—one black dog at a time. She started by adopting Jake, the overlooked Lab. But Jake would not be the only black dog in Delaney’s life.

Her newly acquired insight into the plight of the BBD inspired her to create a website devoted to them. Last November, Delaney launched www.blackpearldogs.com and named her new site “Contrary to Ordinary: The Black Pearls of the Dog World.” Since its inception, the Black Pearl Dogs website has been visited by more than 7,500 people.

“I’m starting to become a middle-person between shelters and rescues, to get their black dogs off death row,” says Delaney, whose inbox fills with email from shelters and rescue groups asking her to post pictures on her website of black dogs who were passed up on the way to the Golden Retrievers.

When Amy Chase read about Delaney’s Black Pearl site on an Internet message board this spring, she had a big black dog of her own to worry about. Five months earlier, animal control officers had dropped off Mickie, a Newfoundland mix, at the Ohio County Animal Shelter in Rising Sun, Ind., where Chase works. Looking for ways to make Mickie more interesting to those who visited the shelter, Chase highlighted his Newfie heritage, but nothing seemed to work.

To potential adoptors, “He was just another big, black, hairy dog,” recalls Chase. Mickie was scheduled for euthanasia in May, so Chase contacted Delaney, who in turn posted Mickie’s picture on the Black Pearl website. She also cross-posted it on other adoption sites, including Jen Wold’s Gemini Rottweiler and Pit Bull Rescue, where Delaney had found Jake. Before long, Mickie was no longer just another black dog, but the focus of three optimistic women and their commitment to finding him a home.

Most black dogs have to rely on shelter staff and volunteers to steer potential adoptors their way. And indeed, many shelters take extra steps to make black dogs more adoptable, according to Kate Pullen, director of animal sheltering issues at the Humane Society of the United States in Washington, D.C. Teaching the dogs tricks, putting placards on kennels highlighting the dog’s personality (“I may just be a black dog, but I know how to balance a biscuit on my nose.”), making sure multiple black dogs aren’t kenneled next to one other—anything to catch the eye and imagination of potential adoptors.

Pages:

Submitted by Anna Dibble | October 6 2009 |

This is outrageous! I had no idea! I wonder if this is somehow related to discrimination against black people?? Black dogs are so beautiful!

Submitted by Marita | October 17 2009 |

Yes, that is remarkable but true. I adopted an older black dog 3 years ago. He had waited more then 5 years in a shelter and then 2 in a foster home. Nobody contacted them, stayed at his cage or asked about him. Nobody threw even a short glance where he sat. How did I discover him? Well I often scan webpages where dogs wait for homes and I saw him year after year. When I lost one of my dogs then I thougt about looking him up. He was still there! Now he lives with me as a male diva, strong-minded elderly gentleman and I adore him. In spite of his black disliked coat, he is the best dog I´ve had!

Submitted by Sam | October 17 2009 |

I agree! It is outrageous. I own three BIG black dogs and love every one of them. I wouldn't hesitate to get another one!

Submitted by Patricia | December 19 2012 |

Hello,

I am fostering a BBD and would love for her to go to a loving family since she really deserves it for being such a great, sweet and smart dog. I picked her up from the street on
April this year, and I never imagined how hard it would be to find a family for her.After reading this article I see why. Since I read you wouldn't hesitate to get another one, I was wondering if you would like the one I'm fostering. Its sad that I cannot keep her since I have two dogs and a cat. But if you could, or know someone who would offer her a loving home, please email me at fernandezusher@gmail.com.
Thank you very much.

Submitted by Nancy T | April 5 2014 |

Why don't you also contact the lady mentioned in the article at the website mentiomed in the artcle: www.blackpearl.com

I am certain she will help too. Thanks for given this dog shelter and care. We have two dogs and a cat (down from 3 & 2) and are still full at our inn.

Best of luck

Submitted by Chris C. | March 26 2014 |

Linking this to discrimination among people would be a huge stretch. My experience has been that the first obstacle is the 'big' part, as most people who go into a shelter may not know exactly what they're looking for, but do know what size they won't go over. The second problem is that alot of people feel like they can't 'read' a black dog's face and don't know enough about dog body language to really know how gauge a dog's attitude. My BBD rescue is a hit everywhere he goes!

Submitted by Mona | November 11 2009 |

It has been my experience that non-dog people assume my black dog to be aggressive, when actually he’s a sweet, lovable boy. I have two male German shepherds that I adopted as puppies. One is black and tan with a dark muzzle and tan face. The other is black and silver with a black face and mostly black body – the one assumed to be “mean.” No one seems to be afraid of my tan-faced GSD, and he’s the one that barks at strangers. Perhaps people assume a BBD is an aggressive dog or not a good family dog.

Submitted by Anonymous | November 19 2009 |

sometimes i think they are very hard to see in a dark shelter kennel. we take them all the time into our rescue and they flyoutta here! photos out in the light, good descriptions and all that help a ton to get these guys out. we LOVE our BBDs!!

Submitted by Jess | November 24 2009 |

Wow. I had not realized there was such doggie discrimination. My mom and I adopted a "BBD" as our first dog from an animal shelter in Washington State. I had previously been wary of some dogs - a childhood fear - but when I met my puppy Sam, an all black lab/Australian Shepherd mix, I fell in love instantly. He is the most loving, calm dog I have ever met and I think it is so funny when people see him and based on his BBD appearance ask if he is friendly. Sam wouldn't hurt a fly!

Submitted by Rene Shelly | December 20 2009 |

How fascinating! I have always PREFERRED black animals -- my barn is full of black cats, all of my dobermans, the two I raised from a pups, and my two rescues, have been black, I'm drawn to black horses . . . They are just such striking animals. Maybe I'm perverse . . . There are two black cats living in my house as well.

Submitted by Anonymous | December 23 2009 |

Since reading this article a while back I adopted a black dog who'd been at a rescue group for a while and I've passed the word on about adopting black dogs. If your going to adopt, why not pick a black dog?! I volunteer at a shelter and know firsthand that all the white fluffy dogs are adopted 10x quicker... I don't get it really- I too prefer black dogs since I wear black so much!

Submitted by Anonymous | January 11 2010 |

My big, black dog and my black cat have been the best pets ever! They are sweet, loving members of our family.

Submitted by Marlene | January 19 2010 |

I have a beautiful Black Lab named Sam who is as gentle as they come. I also have a Yellow Lab named Blue. I walk them together and whenever we run into people they always migrate to Blue the Yellow Lab and may take the time after greeting him to also show attention to Sam. I don't get it either. A beautiful loving dog is a beautiful loving dog regardless of colour.

I love my Sam :)

Submitted by Anonymous | February 5 2010 |

We've had alot of great dogs but three of the most outstanding in temperament,intelligence and personality were a black Lab/Newf mix ,a 175 lb.black female Irish Wolfhound/Mastiff mix,and currently,a black Lab mix named Asphalt that we adopted after he'd been living on the street with no I.D. & we had no luck finding his owner.He's the smartest,most perceptive,friendly yet protective guy & we feel so blessed & lucky that he found us.People who reject BBDs have no idea what they're missing !

Submitted by Katie | February 6 2010 |

I didn't want to get a black dog because it seemed they were everywhere in my neighborhood. I wanted a dog I could discern at the park. My next door neighbor had two...I just wanted something different. But of course, after spending a couple of days at the local shelter, it was the easy, sweet temperament of a black lab that won me over. He's the best dog; I'm so glad I went beyond looking at coat colors and body size but instead chose to go with temperament and emotional connection. I think it's just best to not make a snap decision about any animal adoption. Really work with the dogs and find a connection prior to bringing one home. Now that I have had my lab, I"m not sure I would be able to choose any other breed again. They're wonderful!

Submitted by Kelliann | February 6 2010 |

I also have a black lab mix who will be 15 in 2 weeks. She is my first baby and the absolute love of my life. I got her at a shelter when she was 15 weeks old. I have to say she is the sweetest dog I have ever owned and I love her almost as much as my children. I have a black cockapoo too and I never considered not getting either of them because of their coloring. The lab's hairballs are a pain but any big, hairy dog has those. Thanks to all the people who fight to get these sweet dogs' homes and take them in so they aren't put down.

Submitted by Anonymous | February 11 2010 |

I'm amazed I never had any idea that black dogs had such a hard time. We have 6 dogs and 3 cats. They have all been thrown away close to our home and made their way to us. Some in really bad condition. We have found home for many more thrown away. I've never throught about their colors just that they needed food and love & care. Our 4 paw children seem to be so happy to have a home they are the joy of our lives.

Submitted by Cindy | February 15 2010 |

Why? When I saw my Phantom Boy at the Pasadena Humane Society, I just knew he was my dog. He's a black doxie mix and the best dog in the whole world.

Submitted by Anonymous | February 22 2010 |

I had no idea that there was such a thing as Black Dog Syndrome. Growing up we had an amazing flat coated retriever named King. Everyone would comment on how dark and shiny his coat was, almost looking blue black in the sun. It was so black that some nights I'd stumble over him while he slept, because I would not see him. He was the most wonderful, intelligent, loving and protective dog ever. He once alerted us to a fire that had just started a couple of blocks away. For about 20 minutes he barked and coaxed us towards the door. It wasn't until we heard the fire trucks that we realized why he was so agitated. Through the years my mom nor would never come to understand how that dog knew enough to sit by the door at 2:45 each day to wait for me to get home from school at 3:15. I have not had a pet since, my children are grown, my husband travels, and I have been yearning for a dog. I am certain when the time comes, that I will be coming home with a companion with a beautiful lustrous black coat.

Submitted by Anonymous | February 24 2010 |

This shocks me --- I always thought that dogs with different patterned fur (piebald, brindle, etc.) or odd colors would have a harder time (lemon, blue)... Black dogs are a staple --- Almost every breed has a "black" fur variation!

Submitted by Anonymous | March 1 2010 |

I am shocked!! I never knew that there was an issue with black dogs. I knew that there was oddly with black cats, but never heard of ones with black dogs. Like so many here I prefer black fur babies. My first cat was a massive black cat. I couldn't ever get over the shine on his ink black coat it amazed me, and how much it made his bright yellow eyes dance. Now, I have two black dogs. My husband has a black lab mix that he adopted and I have a doberman who is black. I just love the way the light dances on their coats. My dobie so so muscled that he just shines, everyone comments on him. It is just sad that poor little babies are passed up for their coat color!!! Long live black fur babies!!!!

Submitted by Tanya | March 1 2010 |

I am so grateful for this article. I am going to foster a black female lab that was due to be euthanized in a shelter in the south. She is the reason I went searching on the internet and found this article. I had no idea!! Thank you!!

Submitted by Shan | March 2 2010 |

Wow! Who knew? I have a solid black mini-schnauzer who is just the most beautiful and sweetest thing - everyone LOVES his shiny black coat. If ever I find myself looking for another dog, I'll choose a black one over and over again.

Submitted by Melissa | April 22 2010 |

I agree with Shan, I have a black lab that is wonderful. My next dog with be a older black dog......hands down.

Submitted by Hasquilla | May 12 2010 |

The problem is not just dogs. Its LARGE BLACK dogs. Samll black dogs are less indimidating.

Submitted by juju | March 13 2010 |

Interesting article. Just want to point out BBD is not an acronym, it's initialism.

Submitted by Ann | April 18 2010 |

Wow! What is wrong with people? Who cares what color a dog is, unless of course you live where I do in Arizona in which case you have to worry that your black dog gets a lot hotter a lot quicker than a lighter colored dog. So, you just pay close attention to the comfort level of your black dog when the temps start rise. It isn't about color, it's about the temperament and heart of a dog and wether it matches your lifestyle. I love all my dogs (I won't say how many I have) for their different and joyful personalities and I really don't care if they are three legged or drool producing or drama queen emotionally driven (I have one of those) or even, yes, black colored, dogs.

Submitted by Anonymous | April 23 2010 |

Thats not right at all. I cant beleive this at all...

Submitted by liz | April 23 2010 |

this is not right at all. I cant believe this.. It's wrong on so many ways.

Submitted by Liz | April 26 2010 |

Our shelter not only has a hard time with dogs, but just think of the cats! We initiated a "Black Velvet Club" . Anyone that adopts a black dog gets free obedience classes and for the black cats, extra veterinary services. There are some free gifts and a months supply of food as well, all thanks to our corporate sponsors. I know my next cat and dog will be black!

Submitted by Sara Schreiber | May 23 2010 |

Hello,

I just finished reading your article on how difficult it is to find homes for shelter dogs, specifically Big Black Dogs - BBD's. I have a Black German Shepherd name Bleu. Bleu is a fabulous dog. Although he is still figuring out what to bark at and what not to and he has still not grown into his ears or feet,he is the sweetest dog and I cannot imagine life without him. I would adopt another black dog today if I had more space.

Thank you for getting the word out for BBD's and what a great adoption choice they can be for the right person/family.

Sincerely,
Sara Schreiber

Submitted by Bruce M | May 28 2010 |

The thought that black dogs "get hotter" than lighter colored ones is a myth. I'm a volunteer for a lab rescue and have 3 labs myself (1 black, 2 choc). Only the black likes to sunbath while the other two prefer to remain inside. We do have issues placing BBD's (everyone wants a Yellow Female), but talking through the myth about overheating helps. Most don't like cleaning up the hair and feel that black is more visible than yellow. Go figure... We too list her web page on ours to help spread the word.

Submitted by Katrina | May 30 2010 |

In addition to teaching the BBDs tricks to help them get adopted try light/bright colored bandannas. The bandannas make them more approachable to people. We have orange, yellow, and blue 'Adopt Me!' bandannas in various sizes for all the dogs at the shelter. We mostly use them at events but try to keep them on the BBDs when we have potential adopters around. The bandannas are hand made by volunteers and cost lest than 50 cents a piece in the end.

Submitted by Anonymous | May 30 2010 |

Our big, black Lab, Tommy, is an angel - and a rescue. When we adopted our big boy 9 years ago, our daughter was only 2 1/2 years old. The thought never crossed my mind that she might be terrified of him because of his color. He is a lovee. I will always rescue a Lab - and I have a special place in my heart for Black dogs! By the way, Tommy is kind to all animals and people, most especially his two kitty sisters. :)

Submitted by Dave | May 31 2010 |

I guess we must be a strange family; we have THREE black dogs. Two of whom are 'rescue' dogs. We originally adopted a 4 month old Black Lab cross pup (who is now, short, fat, lumpy, grey chinned, and ten years old...), then got a purebred Black Lab pup from a breeder (for companionship for the older fella...unfortunately a few years too late as it turned out...he wasn't interested in playing with the pup at all...) and to resolve THAT problem, last February we adopted a 5 year old female (purebred) Black Lab. The house is crowded with dogs, and it can certainly be a challenge to one's sanity at times, but we wouldn't give one of them up for anything. Black dogs are the best. They must be...Led Zeppelin even made a song about them.

Submitted by Anonymous | June 8 2010 |

LOL...I've never heard of such! However, since I rescued a BBD myself, which, by the way, I am the fourth home of this rescue dog and her last as I have vowed to keep her no matter what. I will say, she is my third lab...had a yellow and a chocolate, and it never occurred to me to NOT adopt a black one! Her black coat looks better in her red Georgia Bulldog collar than any other lab I have owned..ha! Besides, a black dog can pull off all the funky/neon collar colors and look stylish while doing it. When I first started reading the article, I thought "oh no...dog article is now going to go into race discrimination or something...ugh!" sooo glad to see it didn't go that direction. I will always ♥ my black dog:)!

Submitted by Anonymous | June 20 2010 |

I have a wonderful big black dog. The only drawback I see is that her fur sheding really shows on my cream colored carpeting. Maybe all that beige carpeting is the reason people look for lighter colored dogs.

Submitted by Todd | June 21 2010 |

We adopted a BBD two years ago, he has been the most fun, loving dog we have ever owned. He's 85 pounds and will sleep in your lap like a little puppy. He is so much fun! We will always adopt BBD's from the shelter in the future.

Submitted by Jan Barnes | June 23 2010 |

We have 3 black dogs, 2 are big and one is little, but black just the same. I also am involved in rescue and know the pearls of BBD. I foster black dogs as often as I can, because I know they get overlooked so much at shelters. The best way to get a black dog seen is to parade it around the "world" as much as possible. Black dogs are just as sweet, loving, and playful as any other color, and they give kisses too, and love to snuggle, can be cute have facial expressions, perk up thier ears......don't forget about the black furbabies. They need good homes too. Thank you so much for all you do for the blackies. I will always rescue and will always have a black dog or 2! :)

Submitted by saryjane | June 28 2010 |

Boy I learned something today! I had no idea that this was an issue. I work for a rescue in New Hampshire and do fostering for them. I have not had a black dog as yet, but have own plenty myself.
Thanks for all your good work. If you ever need some help whatever it may be, I'm your gal. I live in the east but more than willing to post, drive, or whatever.
Best wishes,
saryjane

Submitted by Sarah | June 28 2010 |

On the 24th of this month, I visited a local shelter so I could pick one single dog to save. I wanted to adopt a dog that wasn't likely to get chosen but would also be appropriate with my family (I have small dogs that require a dog that would get along with them okay). I wanted to save every dog there but I had to settle for just one. I chose a one year old male black lab. I named him Chance. He had been born at the shelter and had lived there his whole life. The shelter had so many black dogs, some of them being Chance's siblings. I chose him because he jumped so high and looked so excited to see someone by his cage.

Of course, he has a wonderful personality and does very well with my current pets. I am serving as a foster mother for this not-so-little guy, though I won't be surprised if he becomes a permanent addition to the family. This whole thing has really made me realize that I'd like to do this again in the future.

I stumbled upon this site because I was thinking back on this male Beagle who was old enough to be very gray in the face. I thought about maybe I should have saved him instead, wondering if maybe he was less likely to get adopted than Chance would have. This page has definitely reassured me and helped me realize I definitely made the right choice. However, if I am able to go ahead and adopt another to foster, I don't know that I could resist that poor older beagle...And maybe a BBD or two!

Submitted by Sue Bassetmom | July 6 2010 |

Hi,

At our daily doggie newspaper, The Daily Digg, we feature dogs who need homes in our Rescue for You section. We are a community of dog lovers, who want to help all our fellow canine Americans; irregardless of size, color, and temperment : ). The Daily Digg is a fun, free, daily newspaper all about dogs, all the time. Please visit us.

Thanks, and take care,

Sue Bassetmom and Vinny The Daily Digg

Submitted by Diane | July 13 2010 |

Anyone who has worked in rescue for more than five minutes understands the BBD syndrome. Black dogs are passed over for many reasons, many are subconscious reasons. Unless the dog is supposed to be black, people simply don't see them. One reason is that their facial expressions are harder to read. We all love to look into those big brown eyes but those eyes surrounded by black fur are less dramatic. Yes BBD's and SBD's are wonderful dogs and we have all had our share and can attest to their terrific attributes. One suggestion for rescue organizations is to have a "black dog only" adoption day once a month. And the black dogs need to be removed from the caged environment and taken to outreach locations. Hopefully the rescue group can partner with a local business and promote the adoption of black dogs. Bless those volunteers and adopters who go the extra mile for these black critters. There is a place in Heaven for them.

Submitted by Danielle | August 1 2010 |

Ever since I was born 23 years ago I have had a big black dog in my life. Bingo was our first - a basset/lab mix. He was the sweetest dog, and he'd even run to tell my mom when my sister or I were up from our naps before she would even hear us crying.
After a while we added a second BBD to our family. We visited our local shelter and fell in love with a HUGE 4 year old black lab mix. He leaned against the fence begging to be petted as he looked up at us with his big brown eyes. Alex was with us until I was 12 years old and for the first time in our lives we didn't have canine companion at our home.
Only a few short weeks passed before we knew that we needed to adopt another dog for our family. We set out in search of a puppy this time. We found a farm that rescues puppies and the second I saw Jake I knew he was the one. Jake grew up to be a 100lb black lab who was more full of love than any dog I could have asked for. He's now living with my parents and I've moved out on my own. Jake will turn 12 this winter and he's still going strong.
Now that I live on my own I needed to find a dog for my family. Two months ago I rescued a big black great dane/lab mix. He is incredible - sleeps in my bed, greets me with a smile and a wiggly butt when I get home, and even loves our two cats.
I vow to always adopt big black dogs for my family. They are the best! And they definitely look super cute in bright colorful bandanas/collars - who needs flashy colored fur anyways when you can have a silky smooth black coat!

Submitted by Kate-Lynn | August 14 2010 |

I have had two BBDs in my life and would NEVER overlook one of these gorgeous dogs if I was looking for a pound/shelter dog.

Dad brought home a BBD from the local shelter for Christmas in 1996. Lovingly named Rex, I buried him last October after 13 years of happiness and fond memories.

I didnt know that dogs like Rex and other BBDs are being overlooked and left behind for other dogs in shelters until I found this article. Not fair to them at all.

No one should ever fear a BBD. Once again a bad rep for dogs who are amazing and willing to open themselves unconditionally to love.

Submitted by Cheryl | August 19 2010 |

I have always loved big black dogs and when getting a new puppy I usually migrate toward those cute black furballs! I have owned many black dogs over the years. Right now, between my two daughters and myself, we have 9 dogs: 4 black lab mixes, 1 yellow lab mix, 1 wheaton Scottie, 1 chocolate lab, 1 lab/rot brindle mix, and 1 minature dapple dachsund. The chocolate lab was found dumped on the side of a road, covered in mud. In the past we have been "adopted" by a German Shepherd who showed up on our doorstep one hot August day. We tried to find her owner but couldn't. We had her checked out by our vet and she had heartworms. He also thought she had been abused. We did the heartworm treatment and our Duchess lived out the rest of her life as a loved, pampered, inside dog. I have never understood why anyone wouldn't want a beautiful black dog! or for that matter why anyone wouldn't want a dog period! I can't imagine my life without my 4-legged children!! Oh and by the way, all of our dogs are inside dogs! Some people think we are crazy but we don't care!! (I will add that my daughters don't live with me so there aren't 9 dogs in one house!)

Submitted by Felii | September 26 2010 |

Seems hard to believe, but it's understandable that most people want more flashy dogs. I've never really been much of a lab person myself, as you said their lack of facial expressions and difficulty to read contributes, but if I ever got one i'd opt for one that wasn't white.

I usually go for dogs with black/white or black/brown on their face with vibrant eyes.. Especially Border Collies; though even if he were entirely black I would still love him for his breed rather than his coat color! =)

Most labs have dark eyes, mono-color coat and lack expression, they're almsot like big teddy bears! =P

Some people go for that and others don't.

Submitted by Anonymous | September 26 2010 |
Submitted by Brown Paper Dog... | October 7 2010 |

Thank you for raising awareness of wonderful but ignored dogs! In Tampa, Florida, the Hillsborough County Animal Services (HCAS)shelter calls them "Brown Paper Dogs." This refers to mixed breeds of any color which tend to fade into the background as shoppers gravitate towards young puppies and purebreds. We like to say "Find Solid Gold in a Plain Brown Wrapper!" During October Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog, HCAS hosted a successful "Brown Paper Dog Day" to kick off a month long adoption special on BPD's weighing 30 pounds or more. The party featured a "brown paper charm school" dog trainer, one of our County veterinarians, music, a kids coloring table, and donated food from Bob Evans Restaurant. The volunteers were terrific, and the public is responding despite the economy (Florida has been hit particularly hard). A thought: it might be helpful if the media and others would consider alternative ways to refer to public shelters rather than "the pound." The old-fashioned moniker sounds unappetizing to potential adopters and does not flatter the many professionals dedicated to helping animals there. Thanks again to you and all who help make adopting shelter pets cool!

Submitted by Jane | October 18 2010 |

I should know, I have a black labrador girl, she is beautiful. She has a black labrador boyfriend, he is beautiful. My last dog was a black labrador boy, he was beautiful. What is wrong with black, I think it is classy and beautiful. Long live black dogs, horses, cats and whatever. Humans can be really stupid at times.