Passionate about dogs in general and their breed in particular, dog breed rescue groups work tirelessly to rescue, rehabilitate and rehome their pups. The dedication these organizations and their members devote to dogs, purebreds and mixes alike is overwhelming. We salute them all.
We also urge everyone to adopt rather than purchase; whether you have your heart set on a mix or a purebred, there are many perfect dogs out there waiting to be your loving companion. If your heart’s been captured by a purebred dog type, don’t buy—adopt!
There are virtually thousands of dog breed rescue groups. This particular dog breed rescue list was generated from The Bark reader nominations. If your group isn’t represented, please use the submission form to tell us about it and have it included in this directory.
- National Airedale Rescue A committee created to assist Airedale adoption and rescue forces nationwide.
- Midwest Akita Rescue Society
- WNY Akita Rescue Akita Rescue of Western New York serves the East Coast.
- Collectin Aussies Runs a foster home for homeless Australian Shepherds, Border Collies and other cattle dogs in southern California, protecting both purebred and mixed dogs.
- New Spirit 4 Aussies Rescue
- NorCal Aussie Rescue Places dogs within California only.
- Australian Terrier Rescue Takes in mostly older or disabled dogs.
- Glen Highland Farm A safe haven for Border Collies in Morris, N.Y., also serves as vacation spot for dogs and owners, and a summer camp destination for inner-city kids.
- New England Border Collie Rescue
- Boston Terrier Rescue A nationwide network of volunteers and rescuers.
- MidAtlantic Bulldog Rescue Serving New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Louisiana.
- Chicago English Bulldog Rescue Serving Chicago, Illinois, northwest IN, southeast WI, Milwaukee
- Bulldog Club of Utah Rescue Serving Utah, Wyoming, S. Idaho.
- Cocker Spaniel Resources Serving Wisconsin and Minnesota.
- Shorewood Cocker Rescue Serving Wisconsin and neighboring states.
- Collie Rescue Foundation National organization focused on education, fundraising and support of rescue organizations.
- Collie Rescue League of New England
- Southland Collie Rescue, Inc Provides safe and supportive homes for southern California Collies.
- Southwest Collie Rescue Serving the New Mexico area.
- Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue
- Dachshund Rescue of North America
- Oregon Dachshund Rescue Serving Oregon and Washington.
- Chocolate Chip Dalmatian Assistance League Serving northern Virginia, the Tidewater and Richmond areas of Virginia, and Maryland.
- Dalmatian Rescue
- Doberman Pinscher SOS Serving southern California.
- Dobie Rescue Rescue and sanctuary in Fillmore, Calif.
ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
- German Shepherd Rescue of Northern California
- Snow Capped Shepherd Rescue Serving white German Shepherds and Shepherd mixes in Colorado.
- Westside German Shepherd Rescue of Los Angeles
GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER
- Big Dogs, Huge Paws Includes Great Danes, Great Pyrenees, Newfoundlands, Saint Bernards, Mastiffs, Irish Wolfhounds, and Scottish Deerhounds.
- Golden Retriever Rescue of Wisconsin
- Homeward Bound Golden Retriever Rescue Rescue and sanctuary in northern California.
- Retrieve a Golden of Minnesota Serving Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota and South Dakota.
- Golden Retriever Rescue & Community Education (GRRACE) Serving Indianapolis, In.
- Heartland Golden Retriever Rescue
- Golden Retriever Club of Greater Los Angeles Rescue
- Middle TN Golden Retriever Rescue Serving middle TN, southern KY and northern AL.
- Greyhound Adoption Center Serving California and Las Vegas, Nev.
- Greyhound Protection League
- Long Island Greyhound Transfer
- New Jersey Greyhound Adoption Program
- Fast Friends Southern California (OC and greater LA counties)
- Save Our Setters Assisting Irish, Gordon, and Irish Red and White Setters nationwide; officially the only US organization providing rehoming and hospice care to elderly or critically ill Setters.
- Central California Labrador Retriever Rescue
- Lab Rescue of Labrador Retriever Club of the Potomac
- Labrador Retriever Rescue Serving the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area.
- Atlanta Lab Rescue
- Lil' Paws Maltese Rescue and other Petite Paws Austin, Texas
MINI AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
- Mini Aussie Rescue & Support Serving New Hampshire.
- Newfoundland Health and Rescue, Inc Serving Northern California and Nevada.
- Bay Area Doglovers Responsible About Pit Bulls
- Pacific Northwest Pit Bull Rescue
- Pit Bull Rescue San Diego Serving San Diego County
- Pointers from Oz Serving Michigan.
- Bay Area Poodle Rescue This group only places its dogs in northern California homes.
- Central Carolina Poodle Rescue
- Coastal Poodle Rescue Serving the eastern coastal region of Florida.
- Florida Poodle Rescue
- New England Poodle Rescue
- Northern California Poodle Rescue Rehomes all three varieties (Standard, Miniature and Toy) in the San Francisco Bay Area, as well as other parts of northern California and southern Oregon.
- Poodle Rescue of North Texas Serving the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.
- Watchung Mountain Poodle Club Rescue Working throughout New Jersey, New York and Pennsylvania, the organization rescues Miniature and Standard Poodles of all ages and backgrounds.
- New Rattitude Rat Terrier Rescue & Adoption Georgia-based organization with national network.
- Retrievers and Friends of Southern California Saving Golden and Labrador Retrievers throughout Southern California, Retrievers and Friends also extends its adoption process to other animals in need.
- HT-Z Giant Schnauzer Rescue
- Schnauzer Rescue of the Carolinas, Inc
- Valley of the Sun Giant Schnauzer Rescue Serving Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah and Idaho.
- New Beginnings Shih Tzu Rescue The organization currently has rescue volunteers in 13 states, and can be found at adoption events throughout the Midwest.
- Bay Area Siberian Husky Rescue Referral Serving the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Central California Siberan Husky Rescue
- South Florida Siberian Husky Rescue
- Tails of the Tundra Volunteer network extends throughout Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Deleware, Connecticut, and West Virginia.
- Northern California Weimaraner Rescue
- Weimaraner Rescue of the South Serving Alabama, Mississippi and parts of Tennessee, Georgia and Louisiana.
- American Kennel Club Breed Rescue Listings
- Colorado All-Breed Rescue Network
- The Buffalo Humane Society
- Florida Rescues Listing of Florida-based canine rescue groups.
- LL Dog Rescue Mostly small purebred dogs under 25 pounds. Kansas City, MO and Shawnee Mission, KS
- RockySpot Rescue Oklahoma
- Doodle Rescue Collective, Inc US and Canada
- Colorado Coonhound Rescue Colorado Coonhound/Bloodhound
- Azaya Ranch Sanctuary San Francisco Bay Area