ChocoTox is an iPhone application that determines whether or not a dog has ingested a toxic amount of chocolate. You enter the dog’s weight, the amount of chocolate eaten, and the type of chocolate. The type of chocolate is as critical as the other two factors because the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine it contains, and theobromine is what is actually toxic to dogs. Once you’ve entered this information, ChocoTox lets you know if a visit to the veterinarian is warranted.
In her blog about ChocoTox
, Nancy Kay, DVM and author of Speaking for Spot
points out that there are situations in which veterinary intervention is essential. These include if more than one dog has gotten into chocolate so that there’s no way of knowing how much each dog consumed; if the wrapper or other packaging was also ingested; or if anything else toxic (such as drugs) was in the chocolate that the dog ate.
I’m sure I’m not the only person who has ever had a dog eat chocolate by mistake. My Lab mix once helped himself to a giant serving of chocolate chip cookies that were cooling on the counter. Luckily, he ate far too little chocolate to suffer anything more than perhaps an overly full belly. Has your dog gotten into anything chocolate, and if so, did it become a serious situation?