Home
JoAnna Lou
Print|Email|Text Size: ||
Danger in the Driveway
Basketball hoops may contain deadly antifreeze

A friend recently e-mailed me about a German Shorthaired Pointer who died from ingesting antifreeze. Being animal lovers, the family had always been careful not to keep the toxic liquid around the house. 

Determined to find the source, they soon discovered that the antifreeze came from a portable basketball hoop in their driveway. Following the instruction manual, the previous owners had put antifreeze in the base to prevent the water, which weighs down the hoop, from freezing during the winter months. Small holes in the top of the base allowed some of the antifreeze to leak out.

I was shocked to learn about this potential danger, particularly since portable basketball hoops are so popular. There are several on my street alone, although I don’t know if they contain antifreeze or not. 

As an alternative to the mixture of water and antifreeze, the ASPCA recommends filling bases with sand. They also caution the use of so called non-toxic antifreeze, as these liquids have the potential to cause gastrointestinal irritation, central nervous system depression, and death from respertory failure. 

I know I will be more mindful of basketball hoops when walking around the neighborhood and visiting friends.

Print|Email
JoAnna Lou is a New York City-based researcher, writer and agility enthusiast.

Photo: Flickr, Just Jefa

CommentsPost a Comment
Please note comments are moderated. After being approved your comment will appear below.

More From The Bark

By
JoAnna Lou
By
JoAnna Lou
By
JoAnna Lou
More in JoAnna Lou:
Dying Woman's Last Wish
Kennel State of Mind
Guide Dog Double Date
Bandannas for Pups
Pondering the Past
Less is Sometimes More
Danger in the Elevator
The Science Behind Bomb Sniffing Dogs
First Dog Park in NYC Domestic Violence Shelter
Game of Thrones, Twilight Creates a Homeless Husky Problem