Home
Lifestyle
Print|Text Size: ||
Danger in the Driveway
Basketball hoops may contain deadly antifreeze

A friend recently e-mailed me about a German Shorthaired Pointer who died from ingesting antifreeze. Being animal lovers, the family had always been careful not to keep the toxic liquid around the house. 

Determined to find the source, they soon discovered that the antifreeze came from a portable basketball hoop in their driveway. Following the instruction manual, the previous owners had put antifreeze in the base to prevent the water, which weighs down the hoop, from freezing during the winter months. Small holes in the top of the base allowed some of the antifreeze to leak out.

I was shocked to learn about this potential danger, particularly since portable basketball hoops are so popular. There are several on my street alone, although I don’t know if they contain antifreeze or not. 

As an alternative to the mixture of water and antifreeze, the ASPCA recommends filling bases with sand. They also caution the use of so called non-toxic antifreeze, as these liquids have the potential to cause gastrointestinal irritation, central nervous system depression, and death from respertory failure. 

I know I will be more mindful of basketball hoops when walking around the neighborhood and visiting friends.

Print

JoAnna Lou is a New York City-based researcher, writer and agility enthusiast.

Photo: Flickr, Just Jefa

More From The Bark

By
Karen B. London
By
JoAnna Lou
By
Karen B. London
More in Lifestyle:
Dog Walk Encounters: Give My Dog Space!
Can Anybody Care for Your Dog Like You Do?
Pack Dog: Five Reasons My Dog Wears a Backpack
In Lieu of Gifts: Humane Giving
Astronaut Leland Melvin's Dogs
Best Practices for a Canine-Friendly Workplace
AZ Bill Aims to Protect Dogs in Hot Cars
A Ninety-Pound Dachshund Mix
Pet and House Sitting Exchange
Canine Doormats