Beyond dog biscuits—here’s a homemade nutritious dog treat perfect for those festive occasions during pumpkin season.
Yield: About 24 mini-mutt cups and 24 garnish cookies
For the Cups
2 1/2 cups (310 g) whole wheat flour
1/2 cup (40 g) whole rolled oats
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 cup (240 ml) water
1/2 cup (130 g) all-natural crunchy peanut butter
For the Filling
1/2 cup (100 g) puréed pumpkin
16 ounces (450 g) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
GET THE BARK IN YOUR INBOX!
Sign up for our newsletter and stay in the know.
Dog Treat Directions
Start with the dog-safe treat cups.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine wheat flour and oats in a large bowl.
- Add egg, water and peanut butter and mix well.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough and roll out to 1/8" (0.3 cm) thickness.
- Cut out twenty-four 2" (5 cm) circles. Use remaining dough to cut out 24 small garnish cookies (Here’s an idea: Cut the cookies into your dog’s favorite shapes.)
- Spray a mini-muffin pan with oil and lightly dust with flour. Lay circles in the mini-muffin cups and press.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool enough to handle, remove from pan, then let cool completely.
- Store in sealed container until ready to fill with cheese mixture.
Next for the filling
- With a hand mixer, mix pumpkin and cream cheese together until well blended.
- Place cream cheese mixture into a pastry bag with a large-tip opening; you can also use a plastic sandwich bag—snip corner of sandwich baggie to create a 1/2" (1.3 cm) opening.
- Gently squeeze filling into cookie cups.
- Garnish with a small cookie.