Labs are notorious for eating things they shouldn't. Recently, a black Lab named Bracken developed a slight cough and his owner, John Grant, brought him to the vet. An X-ray revealed a deflated football lodged in his stomach. Grant, who is 70 years old, didn't recognize the football and has no idea where Bracken found it. Surgery went well and Bracken has since recovered.
This reminds me of the time I came home to find my Dalmatian, Darby, shivering uncontrollably and a ripped up cardboard box that said “hot dogs” on the floor. Unbeknownst to me, my dad had stopped by to give me a box of 100 frozen hot dogs left over from a party. Since I wasn’t home, he put the box on the kitchen counter and popped two hot dogs into the microwave to dole out to his excited granddogs.
But before he could pass out the meaty treats, he was distracted by a phone call and left. And, not being a dog owner himself, he forgot the box of 98 frozen hot dogs on the counter. My dogs are well trained, but c’mon!
By the time I figured out what had happened, there was only one thing to do: induce vomiting in all five dogs. I soon saw why Darby had been shivering. It wasn’t because of the winter cold. It was because she had ingested 98 frozen hot dogs! None of the other dogs had touched them. Thankfully, she was okay and my dad learned a valuable lesson.
What’s the weirdest thing your dog has ever eaten? Any tips to keep your dog from scavenging?