All of the recent natural disasters has me thinking about preparing for emergencies, including making a plan for the dogs. April also happens to be Pet First Aid Awareness Month, so it's the perfect time to put together a first aid kit and emergency supplies. Here are some tips I came across when I started thinking about my emergency plan.
- Put an "Animals Inside" sticker on your door (available free through the ASPCA)
- Know which hotels along your evacuation route are pet friendly
- Know which friends, relatives, boarding facilities, animal shelters and/or veterinarians can care for your animals in an emergency
Prepare Your Pets
- Include pets in evacuation drills
- Get pets used to going in their crates
- Make sure all pets are wearing collars with identification and/or are implanted with a microchip
- Create a pet first aid kit
- Create a portable emergency kit with leashes, harnesses, food, drinking water, medication, and information on feeding schedules, behavior problems and medical records
- Create "lost posters" with current photos of each of your pets (a free template is available on the Animal Rescue League website)
Do you have an emergency plan for your pets?