Last updated: 4/17/2014
Information Collection and Use – Personally Identifiable Information
The website only collects the personally identifiable information that you provide to us. Personally identifiable information includes data such as your name, street address, email address, telephone number, or, when necessary, financial, payment, or billing information. For information about updating or requesting deletion of your personally identifiable information, click here.
We may collect personally identifiable information (including name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and, when necessary, financial, payment, or billing information) when you:
• Place an order from our store or on the website
• Make a purchase at one of our retail stores
• Return an item or make an exchange
• Subscribe to our print and/or digital magazine online, over the phone, by mail or through our apps
• Inquire about our services
• Subscribe to a newsletter
• Provide your email address when leaving a comment on our site
• Enter a contest or sweepstakes, including, but not limited to, Smiling Dogs and Me & My Dog, Show & Tell
• Participate in a marketing survey, promotion, or event wither online or offline.
At Bark, we always want to provide you with the best possible service experience and fulfill your orders exactly as you’ve requested. In order to do this, we use your personally identifiable information to allow us to:
• Process and track your order or subscription
• Provide the services you request
• Contact you about the status of a product or subscription order
• Send you promotional offers or information we believe will be of interest to you
• Send you our e-Newsletters and other relevant mailings
• Customize our communications to you
• Improve our customer service
By providing your email address to us in any of the ways listed above, you consent to receive newsletters and other promotional or informational mailings from us. Instructions for unsubscribing are included in every e-mail.
Customer Privacy Options
If you prefer not to receive traditional mail or other off-line promotions from this or any other The Bark, Inc. property, or if you want to opt-out of any sharing of your personally identifiable offline information with third parties not owned by The Bark, Inc., please click here.
If you prefer not to receive e-mail marketing from this or any other The Bark, Inc. property, or if you want to opt-out of any sharing of your email address with third parties not owned by The Bark, Inc., please click here.
Your California Privacy Rights: Notice to California Customers California's "Shine the Light" law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers asking about the businesses' practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Alternately, such businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes if the customer has exercised an option to opt-out of such information-sharing. As discussed above, if you wish to opt-out of our sharing of your information with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes offline please click here, or for email please click here.
Information Collection and Use: Anonymous or Aggregate Data
Each time you visit our website, our web server receives information from your computer such as your Internet protocol (IP) address, domain name, referral data (e.g., the address of the website you visited before clicking through to our website), and browser and platform type. We store this information using cookies, log files or user profiles administered by a third party. A profile consists of information we store about individual visitors that details their viewing preferences. These profiles do not contain information that individually identifies a visitor. We may use profile information to offer promotions to users, improve or customize the content of the site for a visitor, or direct certain types of information to a visitor. We may share aggregate profile information (without individually identifying information) with third parties.
• Log Files
Like most websites, we use log files to track visitors’ access to our website. This log file includes IP addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, date/time stamp, and number of clicks. We use this information to analyze trends, administer the site, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. These anonymous data are not linked to personally identifiable information.
• Clear Gifs (Web Beacons/Web Bugs)
We may employ software technology called “clear gifs” (also known as “web beacons” or “web bugs”) that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is most popular and most effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, and are used to track the online movements of website visitors. Clear gifs are invisible on the page and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. Clear gifs are not tied to visitors’ personally identifiable information.
Information Disclosure to Third Parties
We do not disclose information from or about you except as described in this Policy.
• Legal Requirements
• Non-Personal Aggregate Information
We may share aggregated demographic information with third parties such as foundations providing funding, charitable donors, or third parties with whom we have marketing alliances.
• Sponsored Content
We may share email information with advertisers for sponsored content on giveaways and contests.
• Service Providers
We share personally identifiable information on an as-needed basis with companies that provide services for us. For example, the companies that operate our website, maintain our computers, and prepare our Postal mailings need access to the information necessary to perform their tasks. Likewise, the companies that administer features on our website, or provide professional or logistics services to us may receive information about visitors in order to perform their work for us.
• Business Transitions
Your personally identifiable information and anonymized data collected about you may be transferred in connection with a business transition—for example, if Bark merges with another entity, is acquired by another entity, or sells a portion of its assets.
- We may implement Google Analytics features based on Display Advertising (e.g., Remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration, or Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting) to advertise online.
- Using the Ads Settings, users can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads.
- Third-party vendors, including Google, may show your ads on sites across the Internet.
- The Bark and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookie) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to inform, optimize, and serve ads based on a user's past visits to our website.
- The Bark and third-party vendors, including Google, use first-party cookies (such as the Google Analytics cookies) and third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) together to report The Bark ad impressions, other uses of ad services, and interactions with these ad impressions and ad services are related to visits to The Bark.
Surveys & Polls
We occasionally conduct surveys and polls. Participation in these is completely voluntary. Non-personal demographic information collected in surveys or polls will be used to monitor and improve the website. If a survey or poll requests personally identifiable information, that information will only be used for the purpose disclosed at the point of collection.
We take physical, technical and administrative precautions to protect our visitors’ information from unauthorized access or use. Notwithstanding these measures, no transmission of data over the Internet or any other public network, or any online service, can be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Links to Third Party Websites
Third-Party or Co-branded Features
Bark periodically collaborates with other companies to offer special features through our website. Because these offerings are not provided by Bark, they are subject to the third party’s privacy policies and procedures.
Notification of Changes
International Users and Jurisdiction
This website is published in the United States. Information collected on this website is subject to the laws of the United States, and US law shall govern in any and all disputes, including privacy or defamation issues. Your use of this website or submission of information to us constitutes your consent to the transfer of that information from your home country to the US.
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, please contact us or send postal mail to Webmaster, The Bark, 2810 8th Street, Berkeley, CA 94710.