And the winners are...
Bark is proud to have published wonderful essays, memoirs and other true-life narratives by some of today’s leading writers. Now we are searching for fantastic fiction. So, we’re holding our first writing contest, looking for the best all-around canine-centric short story we can find.
Read the following rules carefully.
The contest is open to everyone, and you need not be a subscriber to win.
GET THE BARK IN YOUR INBOX!
Sign up for our newsletter and stay in the know.
- The contest ends on December 31, 2009. Entries received after this date will be disqualified.
- The entry must be canine-centric, written from the human point of view (i.e., not in the voice of/as told by the dog), cannot contain any instances of cruelty or abuse, and must position the dog as an integral part of the story, not simply as a peripheral plot device. Entries may not exceed 3,000 words; those over this word count will be disqualified.
- Entries will be judged by Bark editors based on literary merit and technical proficiency. By participating in the contest, entrant certifies that his/her entry is original, has not been previously published or won any award, and does not contain any material that would violate or infringe upon the rights of any third party, including copyrights, trademarks or rights of privacy or publicity. Bark reserves the right in its sole and unfettered discretion to disqualify any entry that it believes contains obscene, offensive or inappropriate content, that does not comply with these official rules or that is not consistent with the spirit or theme of the contest. The decision of Bark and the judges is final and binding on all matters relating to the contest.
- One (1) Winner will receive $500.00 and have his/her entry published in a future issue of Bark (timing of publication to be determined solely by Bark). Winner will be notified via phone, email or postal mail, at Bark’s discretion, on or about Jan. 20, 2010.
- Bark will accept only electronically submitted entries. Upload your entry after you fill out the entry form on the next page. The document must be created in Microsoft Word or another widely distributed word processing program and must include your name, mailing address, telephone number and email address on each page. Entries will not be acknowledged, and those sent as hard copies will not be considered or returned.
- Entries are limited to one (1) per person and per email address. Proof of submission does not constitute proof of receipt. Bark is not responsible for lost, late, misdirected, incomplete or inaccurate entries.
- Open to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia, and Canada ages 18 and older at time of entry. Void where prohibited by law. Contest is also open to adults ages 18 from outside of the U.S.
- Entrants must have a valid email address. It is the entrant’s responsibility to notify Bark of any change in email address.
- Acceptance of the prize constitutes permission for Bark and its agencies to use winner’s name and/or likeness, biographical material and/or entry (including an edited form of the entry) for advertising and promotional purposes without additional compensation, unless prohibited by law.
- The sponsor of this contest is The Bark, Inc., 2810 8th Street, Berkeley, CA 94710
[Contest closed to new entries]
We look forward to reading your stories!