This past weekend, I participated in the Wags and Whiskers Walk-a-thon and Pet Fair to benefit the Westchester SPCA in Briarcliff Manor, N.Y. We had great weather, hung out with friends (human and canine!) and gave the pups some exercise.
The numbers are still coming in for last weekend, but last year, the event raised over $80,000 for the shelter. So you can imagine that walk-a-thons have become popular fundraisers for animal shelters around the country. But, money aside, these events are a great way to unite the local pet loving community in support of a great cause.
Here are a few upcoming events:
- West End Shelter’s Walk-n-Wag-a-thon (Chino, Calif.) – 5/8
- Yolo County SPCA’s Doggone Walk-a-thon (Davis, Calif.) – 5/15
- Animal Shelter’s Whisker Walk (Lancaster, Mass.) – 6/6
- Dogs in Danger's March for the Dogs (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) - 6/12
- Oswego SPCA’s Paws in the Park Dogwalk (Fulton, N.Y.) – 9/11
- Concord-Merrimack County SPCA’s Walk for the Animals (Concord, N.H.) – 9/26
- Woods Humane Society’s Walk for Woods (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) – 10/23
- Ontario SPCA’s Friends for Life Walk-a-thon (various dates and locations)
Have you participated in a walk-a-thon with your pup?